Quique Setien

JamDav1982

OK, waiting for a big club to get him. He's free for 6 months. I have a feeling we'll see both Setien and Valverde at similar teams in the future.

Why would a 'big club' come to get him just because he is a better coach than Setien?

Dont agree in future. I would think EV would get better job offers than Setien and their past he is far ahead of him as well.

serghei

Why would a 'big club' come to get him just because he is a better coach than Setien?

Dont agree in future. I would think EV would get better job offers than Setien and their past he is far ahead of him as well.

Yea, ok, if you believe that. To me they are similar. One is better than other in different setups. Doubt for example Valverde would've gotten Las Palmas playing some of the best football in the league after just coming from Segunda.

JamDav1982

OK, waiting for a big club to get him. He's free for 6 months. I have a feeling we'll see both Setien and Valverde at similar teams in the future. He did better at Barcelona because he arrived in a much better time, when the core was 3 years younger.

At the time just about everyone was predicting Barca were fucked and Real would dominate for years having just lost Neymar....

Valverde did better as he is a better coach and has proven it in his career.

serghei

At the time just about everyone was predicting Barca were fucked and Real would dominate for years having just lost Neymar....

Valverde did better as he is a better coach and has proven it in his career.

People panicked after Neymar left and jumped to all sorts of conclusions, based also on Madrid's great 16-17 season. Those didn't check out. Messi, Suarez still in their late 20's. Different team. Everything is worse now, also because of Valverde.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Yea, ok, if you believe that. To me they are similar. One is better than other in different setups. Doubt for example Valverde would've gotten Las Palmas playing some of the best football in the league after just coming from Segunda.

Why would a 'big club' be looking at Valeverde? What do you qualify as a big club?

What EV has done is more impressive than some nice football at a lower team.

JamDav1982

People panicked after Neymar left and jumped to all sorts of conclusions, based also on Madrid's great 17-18 season. Those didn't check out.

Yes and that was in large part down to Valverde.

What is your predictions for where both will end up next or in next few years?

I would guess EV being sought after by Valencia level teams and Setien much smaller club or out of La Liga.

JohnN

EV was done after 4-0.
The weird thing is he was sacked after the atletico loss, where we were so unlucky while playing better than we had for ages.
Someone should have replaced him no matter what in my opinion, but the timing was weird.
He should have been sacked at the end of last season.
Setien inherited a shithouse. He gathered as much points as EV in the first half of the season, playing marginally better football initially but dropping the ball after the break. The continued games surely didn't help either.
Both seem to be on the same level to me, only EV started with a full preseason and a better team.
To each his own but both those managers are below barca's required level.

khaled_a_d

No he's not. Both are Bilbao, Valencia, Betis level managers. He will be if Valverde manages to coach a big team in the future.

I don't see any top teams signing Valverde anytime soon.

Setien is more or less a Las Palmas level of coach who was aspiring to be "good for Betis" level of coach. Not Valencia or Bilbao level who was aspiring for big club.

EV career is way superior than him and it isn't really close.

Doubt for example Valverde would've gotten Las Palmas playing some of the best football in the league after just coming from Segunda.

Las Palmas was playing that football in Segunda with their previous coach, the coach then failed to adapt to Liga which is what Setien did when he came. He takes way too credit for his work with them. He isn't the one who created that side, he is the one who managed to adapt to Liga. Good achievement but overrated.

And I also doubt Setien would have achieved a Europa league final with a team like Espanyol either, or do half of the job he did with Bilbao.

Setien was fired from Betis (though they downgraded) and after that what offer did he get?
Brazilian league? they thought he isn't good enough. he himself admitted he was reaching agreement with Pyramids FC in Cairo before Abidal came calling.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

OK, waiting for a big club to get him. He's free for 6 months. I have a feeling we'll see both Setien and Valverde at similar teams in the future. He did better at Barcelona because he arrived in a much better time, when the core was 3 years younger.

Yes.
He came in an easy era.
Barca lost La liga in a season before him and we were in a free fall with 15 points behind Madrid in the last 18 Months of Lucho's era.
Real Madrid was banging CLs, Atletico was a Cl finalist, we have lost Neymar, bought Dembele who was forever injured.
Yet he almost turned that shitty team with Rakitic-Paulunho-Gomes midfield into invincibles.

Lol.

Barcilliant

They bring value to the world. It's how capitalistic world works. The more you bring value or the more people you effect, the more you make. In the end, it's extremely tough to be the highest level footballer. Basically nobody makes it there.

They bring some entertainment and distraction that's all. Guess fucking what? The world functions fine without them. However if say all the garbage collectors, doctors, nurses etc go on strike the planet would go into meltdown. Fuck these overpaid divas. Fucking pussies. They act like it's their right to earn an amazing amount of money and give less than 100%.

vegitot

No he's not. Both are Bilbao, Valencia, Betis level managers. He will be if Valverde manages to coach a big team in the future.

I don't see any top teams signing Valverde anytime soon.

Message me when Setien win La Liga back to back.

Valverde could lead Bilbao to win tittle over Barca. Setien???

No debate.

BBZ8800

Sadly, there aren't trophies for playing beautiful football.

vegitot

People panicked after Neymar left and jumped to all sorts of conclusions, based also on Madrid's great 16-17 season. Those didn't check out. Messi, Suarez still in their late 20's. Different team. Everything is worse now, also because of Valverde.

False. Both Messi and Suarez were 30 in 2017. Suarez even suffered an injury in the beginning of season agains RM. Lost Neymar then the whole club was a mess. RM with 2 UCL back to back.

It was the worst sitiuation. Setien would easily got destroyed by RM at Bernabeu. He lost to even worse RM this season.

khaled_a_d

They bring some entertainment and distraction that's all. Guess fucking what? The world functions fine without them.

Entertainment has value, especially for those who are elite in it.
People pay for entertainment, sometimes even more that they are willing to pay for their health.
This is why entertainers gets paid more that doctors/nurses/garbage collector. Because same people who don't think it is fair will pay more for their own enjoyment.

It was those people on tiktok/youtube entertaining people that god richer from Pandemic, doctors just got more ill.

Home of Barca Fans