Radamel Falcao

Stric

Would it not "kill football" if Real Madrid or Barca paid 100M Euros for him? Or does old money aristocracy not count, only new money?

It may be a tad bit different, but yes, it would. I'm all against this level of market-football or whatever people wish to call it. But rich people buying clubs (like Chelsea, PSG, ManCity, etc.) then buying all the most expensive players is what sickens me the most.

Is there something on a general level that would limit all UEFA (for example) clubs from spending more than a certain amount of money within one transfer window? If there isn't, there should be.

Last edited:

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
It may be a tad bit different, but yes, it would. I'm all against this level of market-football or whatever people wish to call it. But rich people buying clubs (like Chelsea, PSG, ManCity, etc.) then buying all the most expensive players is what sickens me the most.

I agree with you, but glad others know that teams like Barcelona and Madrid are part of the problem, even if we "earned" it a bit more than these vanity projects by rich oligarchs.

Barca and Madrid were he result of organic growth enabling them to spend so much money on players.

In the case of Madrid selling their training ground and Florentino's deals with the banks. Along with the TV deals for both clubs.

Yes, but BarcaDrid are helped significantly by their political connections. If they couldn't essentially write off loans, they would be in trouble much as some other big old money clubs like those in Italy are. The game is rigged, and yes it's easier to stomach when it's rigged by those who earned power slowly over the years as opposed to some bored Russians and Arabs who tripped over an oil well one day, but it's a serious problem nonetheless.

Last edited:

Stric

I agree with you, but glad others know that teams like Barcelona and Madrid are part of the problem, even if we "earned" it a bit more than these vanity projects by rich oligarchs.

It's unfair that clubs keep spending huge amounts of money while they're drowning in debt, in order not to lose their competitiveness among others. Why should FCB and RM (for example) be able to spend money they don't have on ridiculous player wages and transfers? If you look at it that way, then Abramovich running Chelsea may not seem so bad. But the point is, football gets lost in the middle of all this. There should be a limit which would reduce these huge financial gaps between clubs while maintaining competitiveness among them. If UEFA issued a rule that no club can spend more than, for example, 30 million a year on transfers, Abramovich wouldn't be so powerful. And smaller clubs could play the game.

Stric

The game is rigged, and yes it's easier to stomach when it's rigged by those who earned power slowly over the years as opposed to some bored Russians and Arabs who tripped over an oil well one day, but it's a serious problem nonetheless.

Extremely well put. :thumbsup2:

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
It's unfair that clubs keep spending huge amounts of money while they're drowning in debt, in order not to lose their competitiveness among others. Why should FCB and RM (for example) be able to spend money they don't have on ridiculous player wages and transfers? If you look at it that way, then Abramovich running Chelsea may not seem so bad. But the point is, football gets lost in the middle of all this. There should be a limit which would reduce these huge financial gaps between clubs while maintaining competitiveness among them. If UEFA issued a rule that no club can spend more than, for example, 30 million a year on transfers, Abramovich wouldn't be so powerful. And smaller clubs could play the game.
I agree, but it's much better to have 10 competitive clubs in CL than having just 3-4. So, the problem existed for years, there's no reason to say what's happening now is killing football.

Stric

I agree, but it's much better to have 10 competitive clubs in CL than having just 3-4. So, the problem existed for years, there's no reason to say what's happening now is killing football.

I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I just want to make sure if I understand you correctly - are you saying that these extra 6-7 competitive clubs in the CL are those who are now bought and run by wealthy owners?

You're right, though. I'm just under the impression that's it's really been intensifying over the last several years. That, plus the fact that until the last several years I was too young to think about these things that happen behind the scenes.

IbraFTW

Bazinga!
I'm not being sarcastic or anything, I just want to make sure if I understand you correctly - are you saying that these extra 6-7 competitive clubs in the CL are those who are now bought and run by wealthy owners?
Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Ender

Falcao (to Kluivert, who handed him the Man of the Match award after European Super Cup): "I avenged your Barça (laughing)" [md]

:worthy:

SwiftGuyver

he's been on my shortlist of players i'd like to see join Barca for some time now and that quote has just increased my desire!

my shortlist is short:

Sergio Agüero
Radamel Falcao
Mats Hummels

the only one that might actually happen is Hummels either next summer or summer 2014 (i doubt it though :()

Home of Barca Fans