Rafinha Alcantara

+ Sandra +

celta played through the middle instead of the wings. Barca are doing the complete opposite in addition we don't even have a midfield. No wonder every midfield player including the Don is looking like shit except Xavi cause he doesn't give a shit about Lucho's tactics

This! Our midfield sucks because of Lucho's tactics. It's too early to judge Rafinha. He's barely played and he's still young. Give the guy a chance.

Sumlit

San Claudio Bravo
I think he needs to be played on the right. Switch Rakitic and Rafinha's side. Rakitic has played on the left before and Rafinha IMO would do better playing on the right where he can also exploit the wing.

Though he has not impressed me, even despite the poor midfield scheme.

JamDav1982

I think he needs to be played on the right. Switch Rakitic and Rafinha's side. Rakitic has played on the left before and Rafinha IMO would do better playing on the right where he can also exploit the wing.

Though he has not impressed me, even despite the poor midfield scheme.

I dont think he is mobile enough or keeps the ball well enough to play anywhere across the Barca midfield.

Said it at start of season but his risk taking style and desire to get into space rather than hold a position only lends itself to being part of the front three.

BBZ8800

This! Our midfield sucks because of Lucho's tactics. It's too early to judge Rafinha. He's barely played and he's still young. Give the guy a chance.

But it is already clear that he won't be a new Xavi or Iniesta.
He might be a useful squad player. Or a player for a midtable La Liga team.

JamDav1982

How many games had he previously played for the first team? 2 or 3 games?

Not to mention that he is still just 21 years old.

21 is not that young and not every player gets judged on how they play for the first team. They are judged on every game they play at every level.

Will see in a few years who is right but for me at best he can be a squad option in the front three.

CesDel

21 is not that young and not every player gets judged on how they play for the first team. They are judged on every game they play at every level.

Will see in a few years who is right but for me at best he can be a squad option in the front three.

Don't get confused with players like Messi, Neymar, Götze, Fabregas or Ronaldo. Most players are not that great when they are so young. Heck, Zidane only because so highly rated when he turned 25.

JamDav1982

Don't get confused with players like Messi, Neymar, Götze, Fabregas or Ronaldo. Most players are not that great when they are so young. Heck, Zidane only because so highly rated when he turned 25.

Im not confused at all. I have watched Rafinha for years and dont think he is good enough.

Players that bloom like Zidane are the massive exception and him developing like that was due to fitness issues not a massive increase in ability.

CesDel

Im not confused at all. I have watched Rafinha for years and dont think he is good enough.

Players that bloom like Zidane are the massive exception and him developing like that was due to fitness issues not a massive increase in ability.

I very much doubt that you have watched him for years, seeing as he was highly impressive for the B team and was impressive for Celta last season..

BBZ8800

I very much doubt that you have watched him for years, seeing as he was highly impressive for the B team and was impressive for Celta last season..

As others already said, there is a huge step from performing good at Barca B to performing good at some midtable team.
And then, there is a huge step from being good in midtable team to being good enough for Barca.

95% of players never successfully cross the 2nd step.
Again, not everyone can play in Barca, the best, or one of 2-3 best teams in the world.

Again, Rafinha doesn't look like a new Xavi or Iniesta currently.
And these guys were much better even when they were much younger than him.

Home of Barca Fans