Real Madrid (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast

The Observer
Most people were still lauding Barcelona as the best club team in the world even after Inter beat us.

Barca is an exception team with the current generation but they were not the best team in the world last year , the only people lauding are cule's and new cule's.. the best was Inter hands down
sadly for them their exceptional season was overshadowed by the WC as Pedro mentioned

XaviMessiGirl

It's very hard to determine the "best" because a lot of times that's a matter of opinion. To ME, the "best" is winning both your domestic league and the CL. If you win the CL but can't win your domestic league, I don't think you're the best in Europe, because it could be an indication that you know how to beat the teams you did play in the CL, but you are still unable to beat smaller teams in your own league. If you win your domestic league but crash out of the CL, then for sure you are the best in your country but not in Europe.

An example of this is if Schalke win the CL, are they truly the best team in Europe? No, because they're mediocre in their own league.

Beast

The Observer
I'd agree with you if the CL is also in the form of league Gio... Because it's a cup there are lot of other factors playing in, I can't really accept the winner of CL is the best team. Milan practically played just the CL a few years back & won it while fucking up with the league totally so that doesn't make them the best team of that year really. Even if the CL is of the form of a league this factor still comes in!!

Only way you can evaluate the best team is by finishing off the league early(by december or some thing) then play the CL(in the form of a league) taking the cream teams from each country... But that's not possible of course!!

I don't accept it but it's definitely not because of the reason you say... I don't really have this burning desire to make others call Barca the best team in Europe or the best team ever etc. I think it's just a matter of opinion

It's both Estel , you have group stages and u have KO rounds over two legs.. what people say make the WC as important as the Copa del Rey as u don't even have a return leg for the KO rounds

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
The craziest thing about football and why its almost unreal to be able to say the "best" is look at the off season or lack there of. If a club wins the CL, before they even blink their eyes they are reunited with their national team playing in the WC, Euro, etc... Not too mention going to the US or to Asia to play "friendlys". To be honest, the break isn't long to start off with anyways. So you have a team like Inter, who have a great season, win the treble, which not many teams at all have done and then its completely overshadowed by the WC, and then beyond that its overshadowed but the string of bad luck they have had this season. In football, its almost like a what have you done for me lately type of thing in my opinion. To be honest no matter what anyone says, nor argues, you really can't say who is the "best"... We can always have a majority decision but everyones standards and expectations will be different. With the top leagues being as competitive as they are, things will only continue to be more difficult to distinguish. This is just my opinion though, for what its worth.

I can definitely go along with that.

Best is such a subjective term that people will have different views on it.

I do think that history has shown that the best team in europe (at that time) has generally won the CL though.

Beast

The Observer
It's very hard to determine the "best" because a lot of times that's a matter of opinion. To ME, the "best" is winning both your domestic league and the CL. If you win the CL but can't win your domestic league, I don't think you're the best in Europe, because it could be an indication that you know how to beat the teams you did play in the CL, but you are still unable to beat smaller teams in your own league. If you win your domestic league but crash out of the CL, then for sure you are the best in your country but not in Europe.

An example of this is if Schalke win the CL, are they truly the best team in Europe? No, because they're mediocre in their own league.

Schalke won't win the CL but if they do than they are the best team in Europe as was Liverpool in 2005, didn't Schalke beat the team that beat their league winner ? they earned their place and if they beat United and Barca on the final can u argue that they are not the best in Europe ? considering their league form indicate more the Magath era than their recent change
.. what if Real Madrid beat both the Spanish and the English champions ;) ..
U don't become the best Tennis player by beating every single player , just whoever qualifies in front of you

Pedro17

Visca El Barca
I can definitely go along with that.

Best is such a subjective term that people will have different views on it.

I do think that history has shown that the best team in europe (at that time) has generally won the CL though.

Yes I do too, to be honest... The one factor that could make things different is a team like Dortmund(sp?) here in Germany, they are playing great football but not in the CL... But hey, thats name of them game. Must be consistent, to an extent atleast. There shouldnt be any debate this year though, Manchester United, Real Madrid, or Barcelona would all have two cups on the season.

As far as Shalke, a lot of Germans around here claim they have been sandbagging in league to get the coach sacked, same deal with Bayern Munich... I don't know any truth to the matter but the German fans complain often about it being a business and not a sport in Bundesliga.

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
If we beat Barca over two legs and whoever is on the other side of the draw than we will be the best team in Europe without a shred of doubt ..
Depends on though Gio. You may be the "best team in Europe" but if you go through by 2 offside goals or 2 wrongly called penalties then you are still not the BESt team in europe. but if you win fair and square, then no doubt

Beast

The Observer
Depends on though Gio. You may be the "best team in Europe" but if you go through by 2 offside goals or 2 wrongly called penalties then you are still not the BESt team in europe. but if you win fair and square, then no doubt

If you can't overturn a goal it means you are not the best Tiam .. u have 180 minutes to make it count .. ref mistakes occur all the time
let's not forget u also been on the receiving end of some crucial decisions , ask Chelsea... did anyone take that CL from U ?

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
If you can't overturn a goal it means you are not the best Tiam .. u have 180 minutes to make it count .. ref mistakes occur all the time
let's not forget u also been on the receiving end of some crucial decisions , ask Chelsea... did anyone take that CL from U ?
but we were different because we stunned all of europe with our dazzling football. you're winning over us wit your counter-attacking shit football. no one, except wums would agree on that Inter were a better footballing side than us last year. we were "forgiven" because we played so good otherwise.

why nuri sahin won't work for you:
xabi alonso needs mascherano. sahin would just restrict xabi alonso's magical distribution the same way fabregas or xabi restrict xavi in the national team. much of sahins awesomeness comes from his distribution and offensive skills, you need someone who is magnificent defensively that can prevent you from being outplayed/counter-attacked. someone like essien/busquets/yaya touré.

which is why you will buy yaya touré when city can't come in to CL.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Beast said:
didn't Schalke beat the team that beat their league winner ? they earned their place and if they beat United and Barca on the final can u argue that they are not the best in Europe?

That arguement has a flaw... Arsenal beat us at Emirates, Newcastle beat Arsenal at the same ground. But I can confidently say Newcastle are not better than us!

Regarding the latter comment that we cannot say Schalke are not the best team in Europe if they beat Utd and Barca/Madrid to become the Champions... Well they might get lucky you know! A wrong called penalty, an early red card an injury... You can't just exclude the luck factor, period

You keep on saying Lyon were better than Madrid last year... But weren't you a tapin away from beating them!? And then who did they face later? Not Chelsea, not Utd, and not Arsenal who all failed to reach the semi!! Can you just declare the semifinalists Lyon were better all those other teams!?

But one point I accept is, as you proceed further the competition the chance of just riding by luck keeps on reducing. You can't win it all just by luck, at the same time you can't win it all just by talent i.e., just by being the best team

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
That arguement has a flaw... Arsenal beat us at Emirates, Newcastle beat Arsenal at the same ground. But I can confidently say Newcastle are not better than us!

Regarding the latter comment that we cannot say Schalke are not the best team in Europe if they beat Utd and Barca/Madrid to become the Champions... Well they might get lucky you know! A wrong called penalty, an early red card an injury... You can't just exclude the luck factor, period

You keep on saying Lyon were better than Madrid last year... But weren't you a tapin away from beating them!? And then who did they face later? Not Chelsea, not Utd, and not Arsenal who all failed to reach the semi!! Can you just declare the semifinalists Lyon were better all those other teams!?

But one point I accept is, as you proceed further the competition the chance of just riding by luck keeps on reducing. You can't win it all just by luck, at the same time you can't win it all just by talent i.e., just by being the best team
he's old man. he can't help it. age clouds your judgement.

:D

Christ.. name one side that didn't play cautious/counterattacking style against Barca and won the game.
[YOUTUBE]pfhTpZXMVBg[/YOUTUBE]

Beast

The Observer
but we were different because we stunned all of europe with our dazzling football. you're winning over us wit your counter-attacking shit football. no one, except wums would agree on that Inter were a better footballing side than us last year. we were "forgiven" because we played so good otherwise.

why nuri sahin won't work for you:
xabi alonso needs mascherano. sahin would just restrict xabi alonso's magical distribution the same way fabregas or xabi restrict xavi in the national team. much of sahins awesomeness comes from his distribution and offensive skills, you need someone who is magnificent defensively that can prevent you from being outplayed/counter-attacked. someone like essien/busquets/yaya touré.

which is why you will buy yaya touré when city can't come in to CL.

Like you vs Chelsea we were dazzling vs everyone until now .. would that take away anything from us ?
do u know how many goals scored in Iker in Santiago Bernabeu this season CL ? ZERO in 9 games
U know how many goals we scored in those 9 games ? 24
same amount as u ...
and none of our games was counter attacking till now in the CL .. and not in the league except ONE GAME vs Barcelona
Undecided about Nuri but i disagree Xabi desperately need a box to box beside him
we have several destroyers ... just ask Xav-Messi-Iniesta ;)

barcetia

Mikrofonkåt
Like you vs Chelsea we were dazzling vs everyone until now .. would that take away anything from us ?
do u know how many goals scored in Iker in Santiago Bernabeu this season CL ? ZERO in 9 games
U know how many goals we scored in those 9 games ? 24
same amount as u ...
and none of our games was counter attacking till now in the CL .. and not in the league except ONE GAME vs Barcelona
Undecided about Nuri but i disagree Xabi desperately need a box to box beside him
we have several destroyers ... just ask Xav-Messi-Iniesta ;)
khedira not a destroyer. he's an engine that just runs. a wannabe destroyer that'd be better at box-to-box.
lass, well he's a destroyer butnot a pure one because he gives away lots of freekicks with his legkicking.

[YOUTUBE]kJcYFkuIptk[/YOUTUBE]
During attacks he's a mix between Özil and Xabi for me.

xabi maybe didn't look better, but with pepe in the mix real looked a better side. the whole team was defensive minded though, so it's interesting to see if you could do aswell vs the Almeria's and Malaga's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans