Real Madrid (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caramel

blablabla ...while Ronaldo is simply just a "kicker"/header of the ball....Blablabla

What the...?:facepalm:
No, Ronaldo is not just that. He's an incredible footballer,and has plenty of attributes. You can't just downplay his abilities.You make it look like he's some kind of headless chicken running on the field just' kicking' the ball which miraculously finds itself on the back of the net:rolleyes:

Thierry

What the...?:facepalm:
No, Ronaldo is not just that. He's an incredible footballer,and has plenty of attributes. You can't just downplay his abilities.You make it look like he's some kind of headless chicken running on the field just' kicking' the ball which miraculously finds itself on the back of the net:rolleyes:

Yah, something like that.:)...
he fits somewhere between Rooney & Drogba.

Birdy

My logic makes lots of sense but you are determined to downplay the competition so u accuse the same logic u personally used
... luck plays important factor in every competition even la liga even if for cule's is usually means a ref decision not going their way ..
just remember what happened to you when Eto'o was out for couple of month unlike the CL which u managed to recover you lost plenty of points in la liga due to his absence ..

i vote Rivaldo...
Injuries play important role in every competition..
I love CL, a lot more than LaLiga..

But the answer is simple:
@Beast: ask yourself : Was Chelsea of last year below top 8 in Europe? Cauz their CL record tells so...

Beast

The Observer
i vote Rivaldo...
Injuries play important role in every competition..
I love CL, a lot more than LaLiga..

But the answer is simple:
@Beast: ask yourself : Was Chelsea of last year below top 8 in Europe? Cauz their CL record tells so...

I'll answer your question with another question , was Real Madrid @ 16 place in the CL for the past 8 years ?
even the years we won la liga ?
doubters tend to forget that the last 16 in the CL is usually a lot stronger than any domestic league
It shows the strength of the CL ahead of any league competition to the extent league winners are not a guaranteed final 4
u have a bit of everything in the CL , the group league like stage and the 2 leg KO and the one game final..

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
This debate is getting more dumber by the second.

CL is the highest accolade a club can receive. It is the ultimate test in europe for any team.

Whilst winning the league means you are the most consistent team and the best team in that country, you are also tested differently in the CL. There are different kinds of pressure, different kinds of atmosphere, tactics etc. In the CL you face the best of the best and to reach the semis or the final you will need to have played at least 11 - 13 games and if you are at this stage of the competition after 11 games then that also means you are semi consistent at least.

Fact is La Liga is a 2 way horse race and either Real needs at least 4 points off of barca or Barca needs at least 4 points off of Real to have a 90% guarantee that you'll be the champions. Considering goal difference does not come into the equation in Spain. So the people here saying CL is you need all kinds of luck and does not testify a team to be called the best, but in La Liga you win 2 games and the title is 90% yours is it not?

I mean I understand. If Barca were 4th 10 points off Real but in the semis of the CL then you will all say that CL determines the best team. It is Human nature to defend your team.

Birdy

Eliminated at round of 16 means between places 9 and sixteen..
My point is that Madrid were not in the best 8 those years, and they were somewhere below.. the fact that the format did come true for Madrid is clearly symptomatic..
Would they have different draw in the group stages, they could possibly be ruled out even earlier..

For some teams it tells the truth, for others not, and this is depending clearly on luck... Not luck during a game, but during a draw..
the group stage is determined by the draw according to the ranking, so early elimination for top teams is highly unlikely to happen..
But when the KO stage is coming, the thing is totally fucked up.. I pray on every draw and "hope the table wont fuck up this year"..

If it was possible to play a mini league of 16 teams, then yes, the best would play with the best and the winner would be a fair one..
The format as it is now decides which is the 'King of the night', which had the best CL nights, and not which is "the best of the best"..

Catalonian Devil

Shukran Pep
I'll answer your question with another question , was Real Madrid @ 16 place in the CL for the past 8 years ?
even the years we won la liga ?
doubters tend to forget that the last 16 in the CL is usually a lot stronger than any domestic league
It shows the strength of the CL ahead of any league competition to the extent league winners are not a guaranteed final 4
u have a bit of everything in the CL , the group league like stage and the 2 leg KO and the one game final..

Again I hate repeating the points that have been brought over and over again but come on Beast, don't you at least agree that other factors such as luck, bad refereeing, and injuries have way more effect over a 2 legged tie than a 38 game season? The thing is you could have Messi injured for 2 weeks where he misses a crucial tie with Real in the CL, Real goes on to win the CL, does that mean that Barca were 3rd/4th best ? Were those 2 games a true measure of the team's level for the 2010/2011 season?

No.

These factors are amplified in short-termed duels, however in a league even if you don't think they even out, their effect is way less significant, no doubt about it.
Again I would take the CL over La Liga in a heartbeat, but does that have anything to do with whether I think its the true representation of a teams level throughout the season? No.
Also do I think the CL more important ? Yes, because like you said before you're competing against the Elite of all Europe, which makes it is a prestigious competition, yet still that doesn't necessarily mean its a better representation of a teams true level.

The part where you mention that Real 16th place the last 8 years doesn't help your argument, because we all now Real was no way the 16th best team in Europe in most of these years.
Having said that in some of these 8 years 16th place would flatter you :D

Birdy

I mean I understand. If Barca were 4th 10 points off Real but in the semis of the CL then you will all say that CL determines the best team. It is Human nature to defend your team.

No!
i love CL becau you play with other great Europe teams and i would always want to win that, BUT i dont consider that as an indicator of the best..

PaulFCB

Banned
It's impossible to determine the best team across a season in a KO Competition.
I can give enough examples that confirms that a team can give it's 100% for the CL and forget about the National League. Last one would look like AC Milan in 2007 but there are others.
We won in 2006 and 2009 practically winning the League, this is very hard to do and we frequently feel the need for a much larger squad starting as early as February/March.
Real has a larger squad but only uses some players when everything is clear, like with Valencia or Bilbao. Rijkaard had a rotation that we all can remember down in the back.
I think the first priority is to give what you can in your championship because it shuts all your rivals ( in this case Real ) and try your luck in CL, after all, any KO competition needs luck, we didn't really have it from 1992 to 05/2006.

Beast

The Observer
It's impossible to determine the best team across a season in a KO Competition.
I can give enough examples that confirms that a team can give it's 100% for the CL and forget about the National League. Last one would look like AC Milan in 2007 but there are others.
We won in 2006 and 2009 practically winning the League, this is very hard to do and we frequently feel the need for a much larger squad starting as early as February/March.
Real has a larger squad but only uses some players when everything is clear, like with Valencia or Bilbao. Rijkaard had a rotation that we all can remember down in the back.
I think the first priority is to give what you can in your championship because it shuts all your rivals ( in this case Real ) and try your luck in CL, after all, any KO competition needs luck, we didn't really have it from 1992 to 05/2006.
Can't use that much luck when you have 6 of the 7 KO games are home & away.. which kind kills the KO surprise ala World cup..
If you can't beat a team home & away (which is basically what u do in the league ) you are crap and don't deserve to be there
I can also give u numerous example of teams who focused on the league cause they can't compete in the CL .. to take a leaf from your book look no further than Milan this season
Championship gives u no recognition beyond your borders , it's a common practice .. Chelsea never claimed to be the best in the world despite dominating their league for couple of seasons or even the double.. no CL you are just a local hero end of story u can't be claim any best in anything except your own league which half of it is formed of teams who can't go past the group stages in Europe

dalitis8

Banned
Can't use that much luck when you have 6 of the 7 KO games are home & away.. which kind kills the KO surprise ala World cup..
If you can't beat a team home & away (which is basically what u do in the league ) you are crap and don't deserve to be there
I can also give u numerous example of teams who focused on the league cause they can't compete in the CL .. to take a leaf from your book look no further than Milan this season
Championship gives u no recognition beyond your borders , it's a common practice .. Chelsea never claimed to be the best in the world despite dominating their league for couple of seasons or even the double.. no CL you are just a local hero end of story u can't be claim any best in anything except your own league which half of it is formed of teams who can't go past the group stages in Europe

That is what I have been saying for ages in here. And I was derided for it.

This is probably the 1st time that I agree with Beast 100%

No EPL, and no La Liga can even remotely compare to the European Cup. A league is a national title. The European Cup = Universal Recognition.

*Too bad we go into the most important game of the season with so many injuries.

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
That is what I have been saying for ages in here. And I was derided for it.

This is probably the 1st time that I agree with Beast 100%

No EPL, and no La Liga can even remotely compare to the European Cup. A league is a national title. The European Cup = Universal Recognition.

*Too bad we go into the most important game of the season with so many injuries.

The difference is Beast is saying it because his team cannot win La Liga and he wants to feel better about himself.

You are saying it because your English friends don't watch La Liga and the European Cup is the only way you can get bragging rights.

Sergio

Sergison
The difference is Beast is saying it because his team cannot win La Liga and he wants to feel better about himself.

You are saying it because your English friends don't watch La Liga and the European Cup is the only way you can get bragging rights.

Friends. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans