Real Madrid (old thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricknattery

Madrid winning La Liga proves virtually nothing on its own. And I explain:

1. Refs: We have all seen the ludicrous penalty won by CR7 against Getafe, Higuain's handball against Valencia and Mallorca's perfectly legit goal disallowed. We have also witnessed the clear penalty denied to Messi against Valencia, the wrongly disallowed goal against Getafe, the handball in the Espanyol game. If the refs in Spain were remotely impartial, Barca would be handily leading the league.

2. The obscenely unbalanced nature of La Liga: After all the ref scandals, we find ourselves 5 points behind Real Madrid, with 20-odd games to go, a Classico against Madrid at the Camp Nou, and what will surely be a superior head-to-head. Despite this, Madrid are the very strong favorites to win the League. That has mostly to do, not with any Madrid superiority in terms of consistency, but with the abysmal gap between the Big Two, and the rest of La Liga. Had it been a more competitive league, (like it was circa 2000) then Barcelona would be favorites to win it, despite being at -5.

3. The fact that Barca beat Madrid 9 times out of 10 (sometimes handily) cannot be dismissed by any stretch of the imagination. The Madrid fans know this, and that is why they were so critical of Mourinho after a Copa defeat (a competition that would not really have mattered otherwise, but since it meant yet another defeat to the superior and bitter enemy, it actually meant quite a lot)

4. The Champions League is the real deal in contemporary football. That is the only real route for Mou, CR7 and co. to get their pride back. Domestic Leagues will forever be decided by your Barcas and your Madrids, but the European Cup is the toughest nut to crack by an astronomical distance. It took almost 4 decades for Barca to achieve the feat, and Madrid after their glorious early years in European competition, needed 32 long years to reach the summit again.

So, all in all, La Liga means little on its own, especially given the circumstances. The CL is the real deal.

Exactly, the league at this point is adulterated, considering the big amount of games that have gone into Real's favor and against Barca(which is a fact)
But let the madridistas hang onto that at least for now

Corb

Special 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
2s9ewza.jpg

Pepe Silvia

It's semantics Gio, you know it is...And I understand it too...RM will have full claim to Spanish title should they continue to maintain their lead...Sometimes sides beat another and they aren't believe to be the 'better' side but happen to be the winner...There's little argument to which side is the best in the world atm, regardless of how the Liga ends up...Only question for debate (Which I don't have much interest in) is whether or not this side is the best of all time

But, again, we'll see...There are 60 more points to play for
Arguments for this will always arise with a "non" playoff type of league format. That is why I love playoffs in the NBA. The best two teams of the league always play a best of 7 series. Then there is not a shadow of a doubt that the winner is the better team. In La Liga and other footie leagues, these "are they really the best team" arguments come up but the consistency = league holder not exactly the best team in Spain which if Madrid win the title would not be crowned with for when they RM faced us, we mopped the floor with them.

Pepe Silvia

Also, careful when you say that if RM win the league they would be the best team in Spain . No they wouldn't. They would certainly be the most consistent. But tell me they are a better team than Barcelona and I'd laugh my ass off.

The terms "best" and "most consistent" cannot be used interchangeably at all.

Titles its what is most convincing. However if Madrid wins La Liga and Barca wins CL AGAIN, this team will still be more legendary in the whole world and Madrid can do what they want at 14-2

Pepe Silvia

Titles its what is most convincing. However if Madrid wins La Liga and Barca wins CL AGAIN, this team will still be more legendary in the whole world and Madrid can do what they want at 14-2
Again youre missing the point. We could lose both the CL and Liga and still be a better team than Real Madrid. By some distance.

Manuel Traquete

The most consistent team is the best. Being the best team has nothing to do with whose peak level is higher, but whose level is higher over a season. It cannot be judged on individual matches.

Using a tennis analogy, for four consecutive years Roger Federer lost almost every single big match to Nadal, his biggest rival, yet he, and not Nadal, was the best player in the world. Why? Because being the best has nothing to do with head-to-head against your biggest rival, but how you do against the entire field.

No matter how many times we beat Madrid, we need to win trophies to remain the best team.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
The amount of defensive attitude from Cules before they even concede the league is nauseating. I mean, you are only 5 points behind, and you are already coming up with excuses. That is not the behavior from fans of the best team in the world. This is not politics, to play with words, to go into fantasy wording and definition of a league win. Its a fucking league win, which means title, which means success, which is based on merit. You accumulate the most points and you win the league, you are crowned the Spanish title.

It counts in your overall trophy count and NO ONE BESIDES A SORE LOSER WOULD GET INTO DETAILS OF THE LEAGUE. Who the fuck knows what happened in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s or whatever?? Referee decisions? Head to head results? All I knows is the total number of titles Barca have, total titles Madrid have, and so forth. You know the rules before the competition start, the same way you knew head to head is primary tie breaker in 2007, yet you cried foul.

GTFO.

Manuel Traquete

The amount of defensive attitude from Cules before they even concede the league is nauseating. I mean, you are only 5 points behind, and you are already coming up with excuses. That is not the behavior from fans of the best team in the world. This is not politics, to play with words, to go into fantasy wording and definition of a league win. Its a fucking league win, which means title, which means success, which is based on merit. You accumulate the most points and you win the league, you are crowned the Spanish title.

It counts in your overall trophy count and NO ONE BESIDES A SORE LOSER WOULD GET INTO DETAILS OF THE LEAGUE. Who the fuck knows what happened in the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s or whatever?? Referee decisions? Head to head results? All I knows is the total number of titles Barca have, total titles Madrid have, and so forth. You know the rules before the competition start, the same way you knew head to head is primary tie breaker in 2007, yet you cried foul.

GTFO.

I have to agree with this. It's not El Clásico league, it's a league with 20 teams. 3 points against Real Madrid are worth exactly the same for the league standings as three points against Getafe.

This "You need to win El Clásico to be the best team" thing is frankly quite bizarre, never thought I'd hear something like this. The league has 20 teams, not 2.

Xavi_78

I do not agree. I think the head to head is more important in this case. Why? You have a team that dominated the league for 3 years, so EVERY other team in this league might be fed up with this team and do everything in their power to ensure that their streak ends, that could be to give the extra 110% against that team, and only 80% against the team most likely to win the league over them,

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
Again youre missing the point. We could lose both the CL and Liga and still be a better team than Real Madrid. By some distance.

No one would care about your matches either. You can have them, you can also go sleep next to Xavi with a smile on your face while we tour Europe as winners, and then tour the world to win the Club World Cup.

That is if we win anything.

Matches are a cherry on top, to know you have won the league demolishing all teams is prestige, extra icing. And I love extra icing, but it is not necessary.

That is again, if we win anything.

X

xaviniesta

I have to agree with this. It's not El Clásico league, it's a league with 20 teams. 3 points against Real Madrid are worth exactly the same for the league standings as three points against Getafe.

This "You need to win El Clásico to be the best team" thing is frankly quite bizarre, never thought I'd hear something like this. The league has 20 teams, not 2.

if we'd lost to madrid we would be behind with 11 points not 5, so it's a 6 point game.

Raed

Dr. Raed St. Claire
I do not agree. I think the head to head is more important in this case. Why? You have a team that dominated the league for 3 years, so EVERY other team in this league might be fed up with this team and do everything in their power to ensure that their streak ends, that could be to give the extra 110% against that team, and only 80% against the team most likely to win the league over them,

That is bullshit. You scored 3 goals + in ten matches in the league. Hardly any fight shown by your competition including us. You fucked up other games because you went into the match showing disrespect to your opponents. Deserved second position, fully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans