Ronald Koeman

stk93

One thing I'd like to see is play faster. While besides Dembele we don't really have any speedster I do believe without Suarez and Busi in the lineup we can and should play much faster and with a better movement upfront.

I think we could use two formations.

1.)

home.png

4-3-3 (4-3-1-2) at home against most league teams except RM/AM, maybe Sevilla. Similar to what we've played vs Villarreal. Could also turn into 3-4-3/3-5-2 during the games with FDJ dropping back as a 3rd CB and pushing both FBs higher. We could also use this system away against teams expected to sit back as Cou/Puig could add more creativity in midfield to easier break them down.

Depay/Fati and Griezmann playing as inside forwards with Messi dropping back but he shouldn't go all the way to mid line anymore with (hopefully) better service provided by midfield. Ideally he should stay as close to goal as possible as he's still the best finisher in this team.

I know width is a problem here as we don't have true wingers (besides Dembele who can't be counted on much) and FBs are far from great but I think both Fati and Depay could be good in that inside forward role on the left. And in small samples last season Griezmann also looked better playing on the right with a freedom to move more central when Messi drops deeper. Trincao could also play well in that role I think.

2.)

away.png

4-2-3-1 for tougher home games (RM/AM) and away games against teams who could hurt us in counters. I'd like to play with a lower backline (15-20m inside our half instead of having 10 players in their half when we can't even defend with offside line anymore) so Pique's and Lenglet's lack of speed won't be as exposed on open field. Shorten the playing field around the half line and if (by some coincidence) Dembele will be available for important games (at least from the bench) use his speed to get behind opponents defenses. He's not as useful against parked busses so we should help creating space for him when he's playing. And while Depay, Fati and Griezmann are not as fast as Dembele they could also still cause troubles with a good off the ball movement waiting for Messi's through balls. But most important in those games is to surround Messi with mobile players so we won't struggle defensively as much and at the same time also create more passing options for him offensively.

I've included Memphis and Gini because I believe we'll get them. I didn't include Lautaro as I (thankfully) don't see us having enough money to buy him and he'd also cause us more problems than solutions anyway. And I also didn't include new players in defense as I don't expect many changes there. At least not important ones which would allow us to play much differently (so a faster CB instead of Pique and a big improvement on one or both FB positions). Maybe Cancelo will come instead of Semedo and E.Garcia for Todibo but this won't change much in grand scheme so I was mostly focused on midfield and attack. But those are also very important for a whole defensive structure so if we'll improve there I believe defense will also look better.

Also, sadly I just don't see a spot for Pedri in the lineup next season with Coutinho staying and possible signings (Gini, Depay) both also (in)directly influencing his playing time so unless Koeman sees things differently and can provide him enough minutes I think we should loan him. Gladbach would be a great loan destination if they're still interested.

nice one.. very realistic
but we really need to change alba, him and busq are the biggest problem (and of course messi playing on the right side)
and araujo/todibo to rotate pique (pique-lenglet is not bad but very slow duo)
i prefer the second system.. looks more solid

Birdy

One thing I'd like to see is play faster. While besides Dembele we don't really have any speedster I do believe without Suarez and Busi in the lineup we can and should play much faster and with a better movement upfront.

I think we could use two formations.

1.)

home.png

4-3-3 (4-3-1-2) at home against most league teams except RM/AM, maybe Sevilla. Similar to what we've played vs Villarreal. Could also turn into 3-4-3/3-5-2 during the games with FDJ dropping back as a 3rd CB and pushing both FBs higher. We could also use this system away against teams expected to sit back as Cou/Puig could add more creativity in midfield to easier break them down.

Depay/Fati and Griezmann playing as inside forwards with Messi dropping back but he shouldn't go all the way to mid line anymore with (hopefully) better service provided by midfield. Ideally he should stay as close to goal as possible as he's still the best finisher in this team.

I know width is a problem here as we don't have true wingers (besides Dembele who can't be counted on much) and FBs are far from great but I think both Fati and Depay could be good in that inside forward role on the left. And in small samples last season Griezmann also looked better playing on the right with a freedom to move more central when Messi drops deeper. Trincao could also play well in that role I think.

2.)

away.png

4-2-3-1 for tougher home games (RM/AM) and away games against teams who could hurt us in counters. I'd like to play with a lower backline (15-20m inside our half instead of having 10 players in their half when we can't even defend with offside line anymore) so Pique's and Lenglet's lack of speed won't be as exposed on open field. Shorten the playing field around the half line and if (by some coincidence) Dembele will be available for important games (at least from the bench) use his speed to get behind opponents defenses. He's not as useful against parked busses so we should help creating space for him when he's playing. And while Depay, Fati and Griezmann are not as fast as Dembele they could also still cause troubles with a good off the ball movement waiting for Messi's through balls. But most important in those games is to surround Messi with mobile players so we won't struggle defensively as much and at the same time also create more passing options for him offensively.

I've included Memphis and Gini because I believe we'll get them. I didn't include Lautaro as I (thankfully) don't see us having enough money to buy him and he'd also cause us more problems than solutions anyway. And I also didn't include new players in defense as I don't expect many changes there. At least not important ones which would allow us to play much differently (so a faster CB instead of Pique and a big improvement on one or both FB positions). Maybe Cancelo will come instead of Semedo and E.Garcia for Todibo but this won't change much in grand scheme so I was mostly focused on midfield and attack. But those are also very important for a whole defensive structure so if we'll improve there I believe defense will also look better.

Also, sadly I just don't see a spot for Pedri in the lineup next season with Coutinho staying and possible signings (Gini, Depay) both also (in)directly influencing his playing time so unless Koeman sees things differently and can provide him enough minutes I think we should loan him. Gladbach would be a great loan destination if they're still interested.

The second one would probably be Koeman's blueprint, with probably change in personnel for difficult games.
The first one i doubt it will be used. It's a 4-3-3 along the lines of what we played this season.
There are several indications Koeman will not play like that. First of all, he wants Frenkie in a double pivot. I don't think we will see him in the 'Busquets role' this year at all.
Whether it's Pjanic or Gini, he will have company in front of the defense.

Then, notwithstanding the fact that you are right about the games last season we played with Messi false 9 and two inside forwards in Fati and Griezman (I had posted data on that period under Setien, when he undeniably improved the team miles compared to Ernie), that scheme still suffers from lack of width.
In Koeman's 4-2-3-1, as he plays it in the Netherlands the LW and RW are not inside forwards, but function more like typical wingers.
The mystery remains which players will play on the wings, and which on the central positions, since Messi, Griez, Coutinho, and Depay incoming, are too many for central positions

Leong157

I personally prefer Thiago over Wijnaldum. However, If Koeman want Wijnaldum, we should go for him. It sucks that the board decide who should we buy instead of the coach.

BBZ8800

MD says that we will play 4231.
Messi will be a false right winger.

On the left, we will have Dembele/Ansu/Trincao.
Left winger will hog the touchline and force the opponent's RB to stay close to him.
Which is leaving more space in the middle for Cf, Cam and Rw Messi.

Vilarrubi

Left winger will hog the touchline and force the opponent's RB to stay close to him.

Let’s hope.

Porque

Great, so DMC and RB (and probably AMC) will all be compensating for that huge gap of space Messi will be leaving empty. Sounds great.

serghei

Messi can't be a winger. Another shitshow season awaits us if he is to be shoehorned to that RW position once again.

Yea, wingers needs to play wide in build-up to stretch the game, and go narrow once the action becomes dangerous, to exploit the spaces that are created due to staying wide in the first phase of the action.

Messi needs to play false 9, or real winger. No other option. But yea, doubt you can make him a winger again, and doubt he even has the legs and the speed to do it, so the only thing that remains is false 9.

Last edited:

bismp

Yea, wingers needs to play wide in build-up to stretch the game, and go narrow once the action becomes dangerous, to exploit the spaces that are created due to staying wide in the first phase of the action.

Messi needs to play false 9, or real winger. No other option.

Or a CAM, with a hard working 9 in front of him

serghei

Or a CAM, with a hard working 9 in front of him

I am undecided about that. Need to see it in action first. I am undecided because one of the central players needs to contribute defensively. And if Messi won't do it, and he probably won't, I'd rather have him more advanced personally, and have a real midfielder as a CAM, or a forward with great workrate.

Imo, the "9" would have too much ground to cover in a short time to be able to help the midfield if you play Messi CAM and relieve him of defensive duties. You'd end up with an outnumbered midfield.

Home of Barca Fans