Sergi Roberto

Jombi

Yeah, for teams that are not Barça. I don't agree with the "lot of class" part about Lima, anyway. He's good, but not that much.

And the comparison to Xavi was a joke, not serious. But I find funny how you overrate a lot of players, and then complain about anyone overrating Bob.

Isnt it quite normal to rate players differently? It surely would be boring if everyone rated all players the same. You might say I underrate some players and overrate others, and I might say you underrate some players and overrate others.

I stand by what I have said in the past. Roberto is a fantastic RB and DM for us. Now suddenly people are hyping him up as a great CM as well, purely based on his 15 minutes against tired Leverkusen legs. That shouldnt be enough to change people's minds so quickly. His passing in small spaces is excellent. He is a great tackler and also good in the air. He is much better than Masche as DM for us. And a very smart RB.

But I would be seriously surprised if he performs better than average in midfield against Sevilla.

Horatio

You're welcome
why move a player away from his best position?
i thought the trend was, finding your place/niche and sticking to it until you achieve excellence.
he already failed at CM several times he was tried there, why should we move him back there instead of playing him at RB where he is a beast?

I think it is too early to tell if its his best position. He has grown in the meantime. I think the midfield position in the beginning didn't work out for him because he felt pressured and resulted in sloppy ball loss and reacting too late.
He has shown creativity and overview, he is better on the ball now and more confident with successful dribbles he's showing. I'd like to see him try out a midfield position again in a smaller game in the future.

Barcafan 2304

Yes confidence is a wonderful thing and just because he may have not been a success in midfield before does not mean he won't ever be. He will undoubtedly have gained a lot of confidence and experience lately which will all help

gasgas

I think it is too early to tell if its his best position. He has grown in the meantime. I think the midfield position in the beginning didn't work out for him because he felt pressured and resulted in sloppy ball loss and reacting too late.
He has shown creativity and overview, he is better on the ball now and more confident with successful dribbles he's showing. I'd like to see him try out a midfield position again in a smaller game in the future.
i couldn't disagree more.

Jombi

Yes confidence is a wonderful thing and just because he may have not been a success in midfield before does not mean he won't ever be. He will undoubtedly have gained a lot of confidence and experience lately which will all help

But he already played in midfield this season after performing great at RB. And he had a poor showing, his worst game of the season and we got completely overwhelmed in midfield, losing 4-1.

Barcafan 2304

But he already played in midfield this season after performing great at RB. And he had a poor showing, his worst game of the season and we got completely overwhelmed in midfield, losing 4-1.

I don't think we can pin that on Roberto tbh but there you go.

gatsu

Keep in mind that against Celta he had a more Xaviest role and it never suited him, even under Pep (which used him most of the time as a sub for Iniesta).

I'm more thinking of using him as a Messi's substitute, he have all the qualities for.

Jombi

I don't think we can pin that on Roberto tbh but there you go.

He was certainly part of that midfield that was completely overwhelmed, and he did have a very poor game after having performed great as RB boosting his confidence. But of course, it was not solely his fault that we lost 4-1.

PhilS

He's going to be playing every game for quite a while. If not as a starter, then coming in off the bench. His best position is on the field, since I'd rate him in the top 2 players not yet injured, based on current year performance.

I don't think it's that important what position he plays. I'd like to see him get a shot at forward, I think he could be an improvement on Sandro and Munir. I'd much rather see him give it a go at LB rather than see poor Mathieu at that position again. LB Mathieu is a real contender for the worst Barca player to take the field at any position over the last few years.

Home of Barca Fans