Sergi Roberto

khaled_a_d

Quite frankly, I think that's living in a fantasy world. Sure, the club will be on a hunt for budget options, but if we can't spend (reasonably) big and just kick out the seniors we are worse off than before. Football is pay to win (unless you are incompetent).

They are some of the top earners.
We will never have the funds with them on the books either.
They are the top candidates for cost savings.

Porque

The reaction to this renewal on the internet is absolutely brutal.

It is amazing how the media is currently spinning the renewed wage as something heroic, but the online Cules are not buying it.

1 year contract, seems more like a favour than something sporting wise. But then again, Xavi has maintained that renewing Roberto is absolutely key since arriving.

xXKonan

The script writes itself.

He'll play, and he'll get injured and be out again for months and Renewal talks happen again, Xavi will again beg the club to renew him because he's a key player even though he's been a non-factor for 95% of the season. If that happens I hope to god, Alemany tells Xavi he had his chance and he's not reliable enough anymore.

Hell, that's what Alemany should have told Xavi in the first place. Roberto had more than enough chances to prove he's reliable and he's failed to do so in the past 3 fucking years now. We binned the likes of Semedo because he wasn't good enough, Roberto is no fucking different in this case.

Messi983

Roberto probably hoping he can have a good year and spin off another ok contract.

I'll take him having a good year and then get a 3-year contract elsewhere.

Personally think if stays healthy he can still be useful as a squad player. Clearly still has more legs than Alves and Busi.

mc_lovin

Nah you are one in fantasy world that thinks veterans can be replaced and there has been no tactical issues lately.

Wouldnt be worse than before.

Yes football is about winning and improving team and not nearly as difficult as you make out.

Barca without Busquets have a midfield options of FDJ, Kessie, Pedri, Gavi, Nico and Torre/Roberto that is nowhere near as weak as you make out and a decent coach easily gets a tune out of that to better extent than current Barca midfield.

I don't say it's difficult, but expensive. Unless we moneyball the shit out of the market, but that's not a realistic expectation to have.

And the midfield you posted doesn't invoke any confidence in me. Nico looks nowhere near good enough, neither does Roberto. Torre is a 3rd division player for now. Leaves Kessie, Frenkie, Gavi and Pedri. The latter three probably can't play together, but I would be excited to see them. For all of Busi's flaws we still easily finish top 4 with the likes of him.

Generally having three veterans doesn't sound too much either. For depth they would be brilliant and in an ideal world we should be able to get players in to compete with them. But we live in the post pandemic/Barto era... so again, my only point is we need to see how much financial muscle we actually have before complaining too much.

But maybe [MENTION=11668]khaled_a_d[/MENTION] raises a fair point. Alba and Busquets are top earners (20m/year each) and we could probably finance some good players when they are gone.

vuji_31

Disgrace.

Can't wait the day when amigosare gonne with xavi and his tiki taka football.

Give me modern football, not ruins of tactic that was kept alive by best football player ever woth 2 best midfielder ever in one generationplus Suarez and Neymar.

And also just won one CL trophy.

Tackle

Surprised to see the overwhelmingly negative reaction to his new contract.

Last time a club legend took a salary cut to help the club was Pique and he was universally praised. Sergi is still our best RB and turned down big money in the Premier League to stay at his boyhood club.

Nothing but respect for him from my side. Surely local fans are more appreciative. How quickly some forget his heroic 6-1 and Clasico performances.

LFCB

Surprised to see the overwhelmingly negative reaction to his new contract.

Last time a club legend took a salary cut to help the club was Pique and he was universally praised. Sergi is still our best RB and turned down big money in the Premier League to stay at his boyhood club.

Nothing but respect for him from my side. Surely local fans are more appreciative. How quickly some forget his heroic 6-1 and Clasico performances.

Oh no! That game was 5 years ago and we aren't putting Roberto in the list of club legends, thanks.

Horatio

You're welcome
I will flip table if this thread gets moved one day to legends section.
Possibly even two.....

..without using hands.

Home of Barca Fans