Sergi Roberto

BerkeleyBernie

Roberto has all the qualities to excel in the Xavi role he just needs an injection of confidence from the coach to shine

Umm, no. He may have other qualities, but he shows none of the positional savvy of Xavi. I can't count how many times he steered the ball into a position with no outlets resulting in loss of possession. Not yet a player who understands how to manage the shape of a team.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Umm, no. He may have other qualities, but he shows none of the positional savvy of Xavi. I can't count how many times he steered the ball into a position with no outlets resulting in loss of possession. Not yet a player who understands how to manage the shape of a team.

You say it like 24 year old Xavi was a contender for the B'dor. Even Xavi needed playing time and confidence to become the best midfielder ever. I am not saying Roberto is the next Xavi but he has the qualities to take up his role to an extent. You can't just get a Xerox of Xavi. He has some similar qualities and some of indivisual attacking runs Xavi didn't make. He isn't a like-to-like of Xavi but can be a key part of our midfield

Icarium

Lifestealer
Sergi Roberto is not similar to xavi, he is more of a box to box midfielder imo. He is unique in barca at least, if he improves in right direction he will be a major hit at barca. Our system will change and Roberto might have a great role in the future. If you want him to play in xavi role i don't think he will do well. I can't see rakitic playing in xavi role either thiago or samper can play maybe. But we need to change the system to accommodate Roberto Rafinha and Rakitic in the lineup. We can't wait for xavi replacement forever, we will never have a player as good as xavi and same goes to iniesta and messi.

BerkeleyBernie

You say it like 24 year old Xavi was a contender for the B'dor. Even Xavi needed playing time and confidence to become the best midfielder ever. I am not saying Roberto is the next Xavi but he has the qualities to take up his role to an extent. You can't just get a Xerox of Xavi. He has some similar qualities and some of indivisual attacking runs Xavi didn't make. He isn't a like-to-like of Xavi but can be a key part of our midfield

You're the one who said "excel in the Xavi role." I agree with iamrohith- I don't think he is that kind of player (few are), but that role might not be all that useful at Barça for the present time, as long as Barça mostly faces deep-lying defenses. And even in a different system, I don't see the game intelligence necessary to manage games, or any particularly exceptional ability. He may have a role, but not a leading one.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
At this point, the Catalan Keita is the best description for him. Let's see if he can prove to us that he's more than that.

DinhoR10

As of now sergi is nothing, he played what, one full game last season? There's no point in judging him if he hasn't been given the opportunity to do anything yet. If the board had given up on bartra after the bayern game they'd have screwed themselves out of the brilliant player we all know he is becoming. Sergi could also just end up being bojan though :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Home of Barca Fans