Sergi Samper

ATLBarcaFan

I don't think Samper staying will have any effect on Denis or Rafinha. He'll be used mostly as Busquets backup and maybe some games in Rakitić role. At least I'd like to see him there as I think he could be better in that role as our other current midfielders (except for maybe Roberto) and he won't get enough minutes only playing as DM.

Busquets (Samper)
Iniesta (Denis, Rafinha, Arda)
Rakitić (Arda, Samper) - Arda is not the best suited for that role but I think Lucho will continue to play him there, hopefully with better results than this season

Messi (Rafinha, Arda)
Suarez (Munir/?????)
Neymar (Denis, Arda)

I could be wrong but that's how I see it. I'm not even counting on Roberto as midfielder anymore. Yes, he could play there part time (probably as DM if Samper goes on loan or if Busi is unavailable/needs a rest) but unless we bring another starting quality RB (which seems unlikely) he'll play there the most games.

As for Denis: using him only as backup to Neymar/Messi would be wasting his talent. We all know that they will probably again play majority of the games. And more importantly, we need to find out if Denis can be longterm Iniesta replacement over the next season or two. There are a lot of doubters here but I really believe he can. At his introducing press conference they said we intent to use him mostly as midfielder. Yes, that were his own and Robert's words so we don't know what Lucho really thinks but I think (or at least hope) he agrees with that.

Still desperately need a backup for Luis

xXKonan

Even though a loan would be good for him, I could see him sticking around this season.

I can't see us getting Andre Gomes at all.

Alik

Needs to go on loan imo. If he stays it will be another wasted season for him, and I don't think he can recover from that.

wisconsincule

Loan him so he can get more playing time. I don't see him getting many minutes unless Busi got hurt in which Masch or Sergi would most likely play over him anyways.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He is in Barcaforum players section now lads, so calm your horses with loans and show some respect dammit.

God Serena

Iniesta, Rakitic, Busquets, Arda, Rafinha, D. Suárez, Samper, (Roberto and Mascherano).

9 natural midfielders is too much.

Two of those midfielders will be played in defense, one is absolutely useless, two are CDMs, and one is getting kind of... old.

It's easy to look at the roster and say we have too many midfielders, but if you break it down, this is actually what we need.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
An opportunity for Lucho to return to the kamikaze rotation he did in Season 1 until January.

God Serena

An opportunity for Lucho to return to the kamikaze rotation he did in Season 1 until January.

Looking back on it, now that I'm not terrified of us not winning any trophies for a second straight season, I actually find his rotation back then kind of funny, if not a little impressive. We didn't have any squad depth at all almost but he still somehow managed to put out a unique lineup every single week, lol.

xXKonan

The First classico with Mathieu over Alba at LB and Rakitic on the bench for Xavi.

The PSG game in December, playing the 3-4-3 with a back line of Bartra-Pique-Mathieu with Pedro out wide in the midfield. :lol:

Man so much rotation and weird lineups during the first half of the season during the treble year.

SirXavi

The Engineer
The First classico with Mathieu over Alba at LB and Rakitic on the bench for Xavi.

The PSG game in December, playing the 3-4-3 with a back line of Bartra-Pique-Mathieu with Pedro out wide in the midfield. :lol:

Man so much rotation and weird lineups during the first half of the season during the treble year.

im6RSXXuNdAnZ2Yl_LxeVFxOm61I-3AV3yZSeTYAyq9eS1958Tv6q5mGmhl_Vy_fY7c=s630-fcrop64=1,05910999fb5af7ff

LordLichtenstein

Two of those midfielders will be played in defense, one is absolutely useless, two are CDMs, and one is getting kind of... old.

It's easy to look at the roster and say we have too many midfielders, but if you break it down, this is actually what we need.
Is it though?

AM: Iniesta, Arda, Rafinha, D. Suárez

CM: Rakitic, (Roberto)

Roberto is the only one in our squad, who can sub Rakitic when needed. Playing with two AM's will make our lineup incredibly unbalanced. Our CM's must have defensive capabilities, which of course our AM's doesn't have.

CDM: Busquets, Samper, (Mascherano)

If Busquets needs rest, then Mascherano is our only safe choice. Umtiti and Piqué will do fine.

God Serena

Is it though?

AM: Iniesta, Arda, Rafinha, D. Suárez

CM: Rakitic, (Roberto)

Roberto is the only one in our squad, who can sub Rakitic when needed. Playing with two AM's will make our lineup incredibly unbalanced. Our CM's must have defensive capabilities, which of course our AM's doesn't have.

CDM: Busquets, Samper, (Mascherano)

If Busquets needs rest, then Mascherano is our only safe choice. Umtiti and Piqué will do fine.

From the look of things you went from the position of "We have too many midfielders" to "We don't have enough", but I still disagree lol

No matter how you look at it Arda plays more of a Rakitic role than Iniesta's. Him being useless at it doesn't have any bearing on that (I'm personally hoping he gets permabenched by Lucho). Rafinha as well has the same problem. Cules have bemoaned the pairing of Iniesta and Rafinha since he and Lucho came back to the club. Samper as well will probably be able to play the CM position and in all honesty he's going to have to learn to play there eventually. Busquets is generally all we need to play DM and Samper will be starving for those minutes when he isn't. Mascherano himself is up there with Alex Song in how terrible he is at DM for us and I'd rather not ever see him play DM for us again, especially when we have three La Masia graduates on the roster capable of filling that role.

ini4ever

I hope Lucho put some faith on Samper and play him more time this season. but the question is , is Lucho able to develop him actually ?
Samper can be our next Xavi, he has got enough potential to being master in number 6 role.

Home of Barca Fans