Sergi Samper

khaled_a_d

Wasn't he a cdm?If yes,why are people asking him to fill xavi's space?

Xavi himself was CDM at same age,same with Cesc when he was in La Masia .many in older stage prove CM is their best position as senior players
Samper lacks defensive ability to be a true DM ,he is more of a passer/deep playmaker which all seems to make him better suited as CM in the future

DinhoR10

Wasn't he a cdm?If yes,why are people asking him to fill xavi's space?

He's a CDM right now but like iniesta, cesc and xavi i think he is better as a cm, he just gets exposed too easily to be the wall infront of defense in the first team. As a CM all he would have to do is provide pressing and relief defending which he's good at already.

DinhoR10

Who or what type of player would be his ideal partner in midfield for our system? Someone like Koke?

We have Rafinha who is alot like koke in some aspects, but Busquets is 26 and will be part of the team for atleast another 5 years so its gonna be Samper-Busi and then either Rafinha/Halilovic/Suarez/Messi to finish the trio.

JamDav1982

We have Rafinha who is alot like koke in some aspects, but Busquets is 26 and will be part of the team for atleast another 5 years so its gonna be Samper-Busi and then either Rafinha/Halilovic/Suarez/Messi to finish the trio.

In what way do you think Koke is like Rafinha????

Koke much better in possession and much better defensively than Rafinha is.

Rafinha at most be a squad option at Barca in my opinion. Vastly over rated on here.

PhilS

He's looking like a future Barca starter, maybe even a star. There is no reason to pigeonhole him as solely a DM. I would play him now over either Rafinha or Sergi Roberto. But he can't get promoted too early to the first team just to sit on the bench.

The most important consideration is his continued development. If Xavi, Iniesta, Rak, Mashe and Busquets stay healthy and don't leave, not much playing time will be available on the first team this year or next. I'd welcome him being loaned out next year, to one of the better Barca development teams such as Sevilla or Everton. Then take a significant role with the first team after Xavi retires in the summer of 2016.

I

instinct

I'm not in favour it loaning him out. He should be promoted to the first team next season to take over Xavi.

khaled_a_d

Samper as CM if worked gives us plenty of options for his midfield partner,Busquets will be there for some time as DM.then as you said we have plenty of AM players as you mentioned,Halilovic have the highest potential and hopefully things will workout fine

He's looking like a future Barca starter, maybe even a star. There is no reason to pigeonhole him as solely a DM. I would play him now over either Rafinha or Sergi Roberto. But he can't get promoted too early to the first team just to sit on the bench.

The most important consideration is his continued development. If Xavi, Iniesta, Rak, Mashe and Busquets stay healthy and don't leave, not much playing time will be available on the first team this year or next. I'd welcome him being loaned out next year, to one of the better Barca development teams such as Sevilla or Everton. Then take a significant role with the first team after Xavi retires in the summer of 2016.

No need for loaning IMO ,S.Roberto should be out ,Xavi is probably leaving,he already considered leaving last higher to play into a retirement league(MLS/Qatar etc) but opted to stay so I think this could very well be his last year here
Iniesta isn't getting any younger either,that would leave Samper with a chance to play more and remember he would probably be used as DM as Busquets back up in some games too .

khaled_a_d

Our new #6 next season?

I hope he doesn't get the shirt next year though,it puts a lot of hype to get it in young age,most of our youth players take a late number early on b4 getting a number that is a bit remarkable or was wore by a former gr8 player
Busquets got 16 then 5,Messi 19 b4 10,Iniesta 24 then 8 ,Puyol 24 then 5 if I remember correctly

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Yes, but assuming Xavi leaves next summer, will we just leave the #6 vacant for a season to allow Samper to prove himself? I would have thought that he'd get the #16 and Busi the #6, but then Busi got the #5 and Doglas got the #16.

khaled_a_d

Yes, but assuming Xavi leaves next summer, will we just leave the #6 vacant for a season to allow Samper to prove himself? I would have thought that he'd get the #16 and Busi the #6, but then Busi got the #5 and Doglas got the #16.

With transfer ban ,If Xavi is leaving,S.Roberto hopefully sold or loaned ,Montoya surely leaving and same with Alves we will have some void numbers ,I will be ok with leaving Xavi no 6 void
I mean Deulofeu can get 17,Mathieu gets Montoya's number 2,Samper and whoever gets promoted get no:24/22/20/19

Home of Barca Fans