Sergio Busquets

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Without him our tiki taka combinations in the middle wouldn't have happened. He either starts them or is involved. I doubt we'd have won 2011 CL and league in that style without him.

mixer

Without him our tiki taka combinations in the middle wouldn't have happened. He either starts them or is involved. I doubt we'd have won 2011 CL and league in that style without him.
Exactly, and someone wants to put there Mascherano who only can tackle. Madness.

Meitux

Mascherano is just a player whose style doesn't fit our midfield. His passing, vision, positioning is no way near as good as Busquets. We would give many balls away with Mascherano and got a lot of counter attacks..He is a player that only works in a 4-2-3-1 with someone near him who will play either DM too or box to box. Hes not good enough to organize from the back in that lone role. But personally for me, its not worthy of changing Busi's role just to fit Mascherano in the midfield. We better play with Busquets as defensive midfielder and a box to box midfielder with good attacking and defensive abilities.

Puyol the wall

sent-up-the-bomb
There is only one thing that Masch would bring that Busquests doesn't, that is tackling and possibly stopping counter attacks better as a result but I am sure that we'll concede more goals with masch coz our best form of defense is having more position, with masch obviously we'll give away the ball more often, i doubt if he'll be able to compliment Xavi and Iniesta by taking part in the tiki taka too in fact he'll be a liability.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Yeah. Also Sergio stops a lot of counters by being in the right place and making an interception. It's when the ball passes him (inevitable sometimes) that the back four doesn't do it's job and we concede. It's not Sergio's fault at all.

Truthist

ahah it's not possible, if you had followed us pre busquets you would understand why Busquets is irreplaceable

I'm of the opinion we were better pre-Busquets. I'm convinced the '09 team was a far more dangerous beast with goal scoring threats from every angle conceivable.

That's not to mention being a more complete team with a superb combination of pace, power, defence and crucially height in our team of midgets.

A shame Pep likes to tinker even if it isn't broke. :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Meitux

I'm of the opinion we were better pre-Busquets. I'm convinced the '09 team was a far more dangerous beast with goal scoring threats from every angle conceivable.

That's not to mention being a more complete team with a superb combination of pace, power, defence and crucially height in our team of midgets.

Nobody said that the team of 2008-2009 season wasn't the best. But remember we had a very complete attack, Henry and Eto'o alongside Messi. Xavi wasn't declining. So there isn't any point comparing the team right now with back then..

We were playing with Toure that did his job well, however Pep wanted a player who will just stay back and cover most of the times rather than getting up and down the midfield. Toure is a complete box to box midfielder with very good attacking and defensive abilities. He just performs better as box to box as its proved in his time in Manchester City. Busquets fitted to what Pep exactly wanted for his defenside midfielder...

I think its pointless continuing that argument. Mascherano is not good enough for our style and obviously he probably won't play in midfield for Barcelona ever again..

Last edited:

Toecrusher

Doesnt mean its all Busquets' fault though...'09 we had Abidal, Henry, Eto'o, Toure to provide the power/height we are currently lacking with their replacements Alba, Pedro, Villa/Alexis at least.

Feel we went too far towards the Spain model as the Pep years went on (2011 final and the Madrid 5-0 nowitstanding), with the possession becoming more and more 'blunt' and over-reliant on Messi. Not to mention everyone else in the starting XI who remain (Alves, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique) are 5 years older...

Man that 09 team was beastly.:worthy:

Truthist

Doesnt mean its all Busquets' fault though...'09 we had Abidal, Henry, Eto'o, Toure to provide the power/height we are currently lacking with their replacements Alba, Pedro, Villa/Alexis at least.

Feel we went too far towards the Spain model as the Pep years went on (2011 final and the Madrid 5-0 nowitstanding), with the possession becoming more and more 'blunt' and over-reliant on Messi. Not to mention everyone else in the starting XI who remain (Alves, Puyol, Xavi, Iniesta, Pique) are 5 years older...

Man that 09 team was beastly.:worthy:

I didn't say it was but why replace Toure with Busquets. It just does not make sense particularly after winning the treble. Then exchanging Eto for Ibrahimovic and paying Inter an absolute fortune beggars belief.

The '09 team was all set to become untouchable only to get carved up for no apparent reason.

L

Learo

I didn't say it was but why replace Toure with Busquets. It just does not make sense particularly after winning the treble. Then exchanging Eto for Ibrahimovic and paying Inter an absolute fortune beggars belief.

The '09 team was all set to become untouchable only to get carved up for no apparent reason.

Busquets was fantastic in our treble season and deserved to be starter, and Toure demanded Busquets' spot and Toure's agent is the worst snake in the game. I agree with the rest though, particularly the Eto'o madness.

PP10822

Actually the 2010/2011 team was far better than the 2008/2009 team. The 2011 team still won 5/6 trophies losing the Copa Del Rey to a highly defensive, highly motivated Real Madrid but dominated the league more and especially the champions league (made Man United look like a 2nd string team in the final). Barcelona shouldn't have won the champions league in 09 especially after the semi final to Chelsea. The 2008/2009 team only acquired 87 points in the league compared to 99 in 09/10, 96 in 10/11 and 100 in 12/13. Plus I remeber a lot of games in 08/09 where they would only just win 2-1, 3-2 with late goals. In 2010/2011 80% of games they would be 3-0 up after 30 minutes then just keep the ball the rest of the game. he 08/09 team is overrated.

Truthist

Actually the 2010/2011 team was far better than the 2008/2009 team. The 2011 team still won 5/6 trophies losing the Copa Del Rey to a highly defensive, highly motivated Real Madrid but dominated the league more and especially the champions league (made Man United look like a 2nd string team in the final). Barcelona shouldn't have won the champions league in 09 especially after the semi final to Chelsea. The 2008/2009 team only acquired 87 points in the league compared to 99 in 09/10, 96 in 10/11 and 100 in 12/13. Plus I remeber a lot of games in 08/09 where they would only just win 2-1, 3-2 with late goals. In 2010/2011 80% of games they would be 3-0 up after 30 minutes then just keep the ball the rest of the game. he 08/09 team is overrated.

The '09 won the 3 most important tournaments but to be honest statistics are not everything here.

The '11 team were sublime in possession and tiki-taka masters but it was clear at least to me the direction it was heading.

The lack of height, physical prowess in the team and the over reliance of Messi was slowly starting to tell and thus becoming a tad one dimensional.

Truthist

Busquets was fantastic in our treble season and deserved to be starter, and Toure demanded Busquets' spot and Toure's agent is the worst snake in the game. I agree with the rest though, particularly the Eto'o madness.

Busquets was largely a substitute and never deserved to start ahead of Toure. What did he have to offer that Toure more didn't have? Perhaps being a La Masia product?

Toure's agent isn't the worst snake in the game, don't be so naive. All agents are generally the same. It all came down to playing time and Toure rightly felt he deserved to play.

He's been on record numerous times saying if it wasn't for Pep he would still be there and he would love to return some day.

Meitux

Busquets was largely a substitute and never deserved to start ahead of Toure. What did he have to offer that Toure more didn't have? Perhaps being a La Masia product?

Toure's agent isn't the worst snake in the game, don't be so naive. All agents are generally the same. It all came down to playing time and Toure rightly felt he deserved to play.

He's been on record numerous times saying if it wasn't for Pep he would still be there and he would love to return some day.

There wasn't anything wrong with Toure, Pep just wanted a different player for the defensive midfielder role. Toure was very good there but he is a complete player with defensive and attacking abilities, he performs better being used as box to box and its proved in Manchester City. Pep wanted a player to stay back and cover rather than getting up and down the midfield. The very good performances from Busquets after and being the ideal for what Pep wanted found him a place in the line up.

Right now, a midfield of Busquets in his usual defensive midfielder role and Toure as box to box would be fine. Toure would provide us more defensive cover and power to the midfield..But from the moment he wasn't about to take any other midfielder back then, there wasn't a place for him to be regular..

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans