Spanish Super Cup: Barca - Bilbao 1-1 (1-5 agg.)

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Would have probably been a bigger headache if it had been in the league or CDR in the season. Still pretty bad though. Especially after how the team collapsed vs Sevilla just a few days ago.

1 word - Team Chemistry.

I wouldn't not play this midfield again. I actually think this midfield could be a useful combo if they are played together regularly (While resting Iniesta and Busquets)

I agree with this. You can't make wholesale changes in any area of the pitch and get consistent results. If the first choice midfield is rakitic-busquets-iniesta then at least one has to start every game. Preferably 2.

Autumn

If we didn't have Iniesta/Rakatic/Busquets/Pique/Alba/Bravo to substantially improve our team for future games, I'd be a lot more worried. Monday will be a lot more telling. I assume we'll be playing a real lineup then.

Thank god it's not a real game, and that it has two legs.

bongo128

Lucho overestimated our midfield. Rafi and Sergi just failed to control such demanding game. We also underestimated Bilbao's tactical and physical ability. This should be e good lesson for us and we must win the return game if not with 4 goals - at least with dominant performance.

namaria

Just do the math. They played 120 min vs sevilla in a very intense match roughly 3 days ago. They barely had 48h to rest. Playing some players today would be a big, big risk of injury.
its Our fault that we played such "long" game, had 4-1 and rest is history.
no excuses for such lost, Barca isnt middle table team .
pitty we didnt score 1 goal!

Last edited:

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
It's nearly impossible to win the sextuple at this elite level. It was easy, it would been done more than once at this level. Much props to Pep for being able to accomplish it.

I'm not mad about the game but this crop of La Masia graduates (Rafinha, Robert, Bartra) are merely fringe squad players at best. Lucho showed faith in them and they just got bullied. He had no other choice but to play them. Barca will have paper-thin squad depth until January.

Neeraj

My thoughts:

On the game - As many called it, Lucho went in for a second string lineup, keeping the league in mind, which I agree with, and paid the price. Must say, up to this point in the pre-season and the couple of official games we've had, our defence does look quite worrying, even though it has been make-shift. Not too bothered with this score or the trophy tbh, hope we rest Messi in the return leg.

Squad Depth - This is the most worrying part for me as a fan. You can talk about the transfer ban, but it's more than that, really. The sporting directors have done a horrendous job of keeping the supply pipeline functioning, right from the time the decline of the 2011 historic team started. We let Thiago go, got in (and then out) a bunch of Arsenal failures and then of course we got hit by the ban. Our first team is obviously the best team on the planet - I'm afraid to say the likes of Chelsea, City, Madrid, Bayern, heck maybe even United, Arsenal, Sevilla, Bilbao, etc. would be comfortably beating us if we were to play a B team vs. B team - we're not even close to competitive with our backups.

Players Bartra isn't good enough. He has got minutes now, and we have been shown with no uncertainty that he isn't good enough. Roberto - 4 years on, still asking myself the same question, as to why he is in our first team. Ter Stegen - Extremely low on confidence, sorry to say, Bravo has now established himself (or rather MaTS has done it for him) as our undisputed better quality keeper (for now, at least). Not too worried about Adriano, don't think he is going to feature in key moments, especially when Vidal is available (assuming that's going to be one of the positions he can rotate for).

Overall - Some worrying signs of a weak defence early on in the season, while our midfield continues to be paper thin in depth. However, let's not fret about this result and the cup in isolation, it means nothing, if this means we're more prepared and fit for the league, so be it. Let's hope we rest Messi and some others who need rest in the second leg, really no point going all guns blazing for the return.

utility73

While there are many reasons to rationalize this defeat it doesn't change the following fact:

It was an utter disgrace.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I saw both Rafinha and Roberto starting with no Busquets and I immediately hoped for a draw and a chance to win it at the Camp Nou.

Sucks that the game had to be played on 2 fucking days rest after the UEFA Super Cup. It's not an excuse but rather an indictment on the players that La Masia is producing right now. They just can not be counted on.

BBZ8800

We had the best defence in Europe last season. Pique was the best cb in the world last season.

We are solid defensively when our starters all play. Also having busquets and rakitic on the park covering makes a huge difference.

We are excellent when we have 11 fit players and when we are fully motivated.
In this Season, we will lack both parts for large parts of the season, it seems.

Hope this is our Anoeta early in the season this time. Well, a man can hope, right?

It is too early.
The team is still in a dreamland after winning a Champions league.

We will have a nice number of defeats and draws till a new year, when players will maybe wake up.

It is way, way too early now.

I feel like watching 2006-07 Season all over again after our glorious, long awaited success in 2006'.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans