Thiago Silva

Tomchin

I'm quite surprised that Bayern is so much worth tbh; in Asia and South-America they're not very popular as far as I know?

jamrock

no they aren't but they are the biggest club in the biggest economy in the football worl, much of their commercial revenues and brand value(doesn't mean much) comes from domestic deals

Duke

Forbes list for most valuable sport clubs:

#1 Manchester United ($2.23 billion)

#2 Real Madrid ($1.88 billion)

#3 New York Yankees ($1.85 billion)

#3 Dallas Cowboys ($1.85 billion)

#5 Washington Redskins ($1.56 billion)

#6 Los Angeles Dodgers ($1.4 billion)

#6 New England Patriots ($1.4 billion)

#8 Barcelona ($1.31 billion)

#9 New York Giants ($1.3 billion)

#10 Arsenal ($1.29 billion)

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Forbes list for most valuable sport clubs:

#1 Manchester United ($2.23 billion)

#2 Real Madrid ($1.88 billion)

#3 New York Yankees ($1.85 billion)

#3 Dallas Cowboys ($1.85 billion)

#5 Washington Redskins ($1.56 billion)

#6 Los Angeles Dodgers ($1.4 billion)

#6 New England Patriots ($1.4 billion)

#8 Barcelona ($1.31 billion)

#9 New York Giants ($1.3 billion)

#10 Arsenal ($1.29 billion)

I wonder how these numbers are calculated? And I sensed an American tinge/bias here. Washington Redskins is worth more than Barca?? How many people watch the Washington Redskins?

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
Of course LeBron James is a more influential athlete than Messi!!!!!!!!!!

Fuck me. LeBron James is the most influential sportsman in the world!

jamrock

James in certainly more influential than messi, though messi is more popular.

i think bolt probably beats James though

AnfieldEd

I am Leg End
James in certainly more influential than messi, though messi is more popular.

i think bolt probably beats James though

Shit yeah I forgot Bolt. Bolt and James are the two most influential sportsmen in the world.

As for Messi being more popular........Somehow I doubt that. Only because of the population of America, India, China where Basketball is popular.

footyfan

Calma, calma
How is LeBron James a more influential athlete than Messi? That's crazy, football is a much more popular sport than basketball. Don't assume influence on real population values, they are of course skewed to sports that are popular in high-population countries. Basketball is not as popular as football in India, although cricket dwarfs both. I'm not sure about China but I think it's fairly equal there.

jamrock

also that list is old, barca is 2.6 and Madrid 3.3.

messi has as much. personality as a piece of. paper, James and bolt are brands my themself.

messi doesn't real impact people outside of the fact that he is the best player in the world.

also football isn't that much more popular than basketball. especially in large population centres.

jamrock

What's the difference between influential and popular?

influence means people are interested in you off the pitch, they want to hear what you say or do, whether they like it are not.

popular means a lot of people know u are is aware of you, that's it. which is where messi is.

ebc_99

Messi is far more influential athlete than Lebron James. Football is miles more popular than basketball, I don't know anyone who watches or even likes basketball, I don't even know who Lebron James is or who he plays for I just heard his name mentioned when I was watching NASCAR.

There are bound to be millions of kids playing football dreaming to be like Messi and he reaches a much larger audience. Outside of America basketball is not a major sport, Football is by far the biggest in the world.

Those Forbes lists are rubbish, they just print these lists so people buy their magazine, I think they just make the numbers up.

jamrock

the fact that you heard his name in nascar kinda says it all.

basketball is a very popular sport number two in the world actually.

Home of Barca Fans