Thiago Translantara

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
21 year old? needs to up his game. He's not a teenager anymore.

And before you start defending him.
Yes he is VERY good. Probably the best central midfielder u-23 but THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Remember that he is supposed to replace XAVI, the best midfielder the game has ever seen.

By the same criteria Montoya, Muniesa, Bartra, Rafinha, Sergi Roberto, Fabregas, Cuenca, Tello etc are not good enough either... And I don't see you posting in their threads.

impeh

Hi, its me..
doesnt he have the third highest pass success rate in europe? pretty sure i saw some awesome stat along those lines a few weeks ago..

Ryan_Cule

barça amor d mi alma
Can we guys please take a moment and wish him and then criticise for unknown reasons ??

Happy Birthday Thiago... !!! Many many happy returns of that day ... :)

M

mitkoa7x

doesnt he have the third highest pass success rate in europe? pretty sure i saw some awesome stat along those lines a few weeks ago..

Something around 90%

The conomist reminds me of
asiandad.jpg

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I don't understand all the complaining about Thiago... The kid got the best passing ratio in all Europe, he does attempt good number of passes in the third front mind you, and then his defensive game has improved leaps and bounds! Like I'd be most assured with thiago playing in the middle when we have to defend a lead, more than any other attacking mid fielder we boast!!

Happy B'day boy :)

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
Congrats Thiago, keep the swag alive, hahaha...

And people are crazy if they think Thiago hasn't improved from pre-season, he may not be as attack-minded but his overall game has grown a lot... People who expect that a 21 year old can become a super star in just six months, ahead of the best midfield ever, are just asking too much, and are forgetting that both Xavi and Iniesta didn't make it big until they were 25, so with Cesc on board the timing is just perfect... Thiago will "replace" someone in our midfield but it won't be today, it'll take a couple years and that makes perfect sense, you can't just go on throwing players to see if they are as good as Xavi or Iniesta, you teach them and then reap whaat you have sown, patience is key...

zanela

21 year old? needs to up his game. He's not a teenager anymore.

And before you start defending him.
Yes he is VERY good. Probably the best central midfielder u-23 but THAT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Remember that he is supposed to replace XAVI, the best midfielder the game has ever seen.

And he shouldn't. He's nothing like Xavi. He's a versatile midfielder. But he's an attacking midfielder first and foremost (which is what he was in his youth days), and then everything else. Busi, is in fact more Xavi than Thiago. But Busi is more needed at DM, meaning Pep (and L.Milla) is trying to make most of Thiago's versatility (and also because there isn't any other serious contender for the xavi role). And although he could go on to become a fine CM in time, his inherent talent will always remain underutilized such capacity.
Now the reason he put up an explosive show in pre-season is 1) He had the Euro-u21 momentum still with him 2) Pep gave him more freedom to express his talents, and greater license to attack. I really think 2011-12 should've been the Thiago year, where he makes a significant leap both in terms of development and importance to this team. But the pre-season form and momentum which we all hoped he would build on, was disturbed by the Cesc signing (won't go down well with Cesc admirers i know). Irv was the first one to point out, and its something i've deduced from how the events have unfolded, esp from the player's perspective. To fit in the Cesc factor, Thiago was forced to curb his natural attacking instincts, and embrace a deeper/defensive role for the team, and the other times too he remained conservative possibly from the fear of losing playin' time. And whilst his defensive side of the game and horizontal play improved, his offensive game suffered in the process, and has looked rusty in the final third. I wouldn't say Cesc signing was not useful, or wasn't needed. But his purchase has slowed down T's progress, who 'd otherwise be afforded a greater offensive platform to work his magic.
So whilst he has improved defensively, and worked on his discipline (he can still be a bit casual on the ball but its minimal), he's been disappointing going forward. Reason y it may look to a lot of them that he hasn't progressed since pre-season. Which in a way is true, because his natural game hasn't improved since pre-season, despite the positives .

Home of Barca Fans