Thiago Translantara

N

Noldorin

Thiago will never be a Xavi, I don't think. I see Thiago as somewhere in-between a Cesc and Iniesta. I think there's a very good chance he'll be at least as good as Cesc given time, and a not-insignificant chance he'll be as good as Iniesta eventually. Let's give him time; he shows tremendous talent, and is increasingly a reliable midfield player, though he's still a tad rough around the edges. Still so young though!

As to Xavi's successor, I think Sergi Roberto also shows a lot of promise, albeit his being at a slightly earlier stage in maturation compared to Thiago. His style is much closer to Xavi's for me, though he still has a long way to go. The great thing is that Xavi has proven to be quite injury-resistant in recent years (despite his age), and I can see him providing top-quality service to the Barça midfield for at least 3 more years in theory. Midfielders of his sort last long time... just look at how good Pirlo still is at his age!

barcanuck

He was fine today. What really stood out is his shot from outside the box which he curled to perfection nearly. If that had gone in everyone would call him the next Xaviesta.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
If that had gone in, we'd be recalling the Villa strike...Still think Thiago should've done better with that particular shot but he played really well...It's remarkable to think how much talent there is in this midfield at Tito's disposal

Cule4life

The Culest
Thiago will never be a Xavi, I don't think. I see Thiago as somewhere in-between a Cesc and Iniesta. I think there's a very good chance he'll be at least as good as Cesc given time, and a not-insignificant chance he'll be as good as Iniesta eventually. Let's give him time; he shows tremendous talent, and is increasingly a reliable midfield player, though he's still a tad rough around the edges. Still so young though!

As to Xavi's successor, I think Sergi Roberto also shows a lot of promise, albeit his being at a slightly earlier stage in maturation compared to Thiago. His style is much closer to Xavi's for me, though he still has a long way to go. The great thing is that Xavi has proven to be quite injury-resistant in recent years (despite his age), and I can see him providing top-quality service to the Barça midfield for at least 3 more years in theory. Midfielders of his sort last long time... just look at how good Pirlo still is at his age!

This

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101

The way I see it Thiago is much more similar to Xavi than Sergi Roberto is. Roberto is more of a box-to-box midfielder, a good runner with a decent physical presence. A bit like Keita, and a bit like Cesc. Thiago is a playmaker, he dictates the play much more than Roberto ever has. The Barca B midfield hasn't really been able to play the Barca way since Thiago left. Both Rafinha and Sergi Roberto are much more direct.

And Pirlo is only half a year older than Xavi :p

CatalinR10

BBdyzx9CAAEm_FH.jpg:large

N

Noldorin

The way I see it Thiago is much more similar to Xavi than Sergi Roberto is. Roberto is more of a box-to-box midfielder, a good runner with a decent physical presence. A bit like Keita, and a bit like Cesc. Thiago is a playmaker, he dictates the play much more than Roberto ever has. The Barca B midfield hasn't really been able to play the Barca way since Thiago left. Both Rafinha and Sergi Roberto are much more direct.

And Pirlo is only half a year older than Xavi :p

Oops, I thought Pirlo was 36 for some reason. Never mind.

Anyway, I have disagree with your assessment of Thiago. His style is far, far from Xavi; it's closer to Iniesta's (and in other ways Cesc's), without a doubt. He dribbles the bar and takes on players with far more frequency that Xavi. He has great passes and through-balls too, but so does Iniesta. Sergi Roberto is much more of a player who dictates the pace of the game in midfield -- he has shown his ability doing this for Barca B. How often do you see Xavi doing fancy tricks? Basically never. How often do you see Thiago doing them? Pretty much every game (not that anything is wrong with them in itself). In the end, I think you simply mistake Sergi Roberto's relative inexperience and lack of maturity compared to Thiago as a difference in style. He is on course to replace Iniesta or Fabregas in time, whereas Roberto is on (a slightly more distant course) to replace Xavi. Let's wait and see. ;)

Last edited:
N

Noldorin

Glad you agree. I'd like to see them both playing together in midfield some day... probably won't happen for some years though. Which is fine though, given how well Xavi/Iniesta/Fabregas have been playing lately, and will surely continue to do!

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Oops, I thought Pirlo was 36 for some reason. Never mind.

Anyway, I have disagree with your assessment of Thiago. His style is far, far from Xavi; it's closer to Iniesta's (and in other ways Cesc's), without a doubt. He dribbles the bar and takes on players with far more frequency that Xavi. He has great passes and through-balls too, but so does Iniesta. Sergi Roberto is much more of a player who dictates the pace of the game in midfield -- he has shown his ability doing this for Barca B. How often do you see Xavi doing fancy tricks? Basically never. How often do you see Thiago doing them? Pretty much every game (not that anything is wrong with them in itself). In the end, I think you simply mistake Sergi Roberto's relative inexperience and lack of maturity compared to Thiago as a difference in style. He is on course to replace Iniesta or Fabregas in time, whereas Roberto is on (a slightly more distant course) to replace Xavi. Let's wait and see. ;)

I don't think Roberto can dictate a game well enough to replace Xavi. If Samper does impress within the next couple of years he can take the distribution role off of Thiago and let him use his skills and flair in a more attacking role. If not, I can see Thiago developing into a Xavi-esque player as well.

Home of Barca Fans