Thiago Translantara

Anyway Thiago would probably be starting for the Brazil NT nowadays whereas he'll have to wait a few years for a spot in the Spain NT. His main competition (besides Xavi) will probably be Isco & Cesc (when no longer a false 9).

Maybe he wants to play for a team that wins more trophies. But yes, he'd most likely be starting for Brazil right now. It looks like they could use someone like him to control the midfield. Still though, he's more likely to win a world cup with Spain. Even by the time he starts for Spain, I can see them still being good enough to be favorites to win a World Cup. Not to mention he fits Spain better (partly because most of his club teammates play for Spain).

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Anyway Thiago would probably be starting for the Brazil NT nowadays whereas he'll have to wait a few years for a spot in the Spain NT. His main competition (besides Xavi) will probably be Isco & Cesc (when no longer a false 9).

Cesc is a straight up attacking midfielder who racks up assists and is great at playing the final ball. Isco is truly the perfect false 9 for Spain. He has speed, agility, vision, finishing ability, powerful shots, amazing technical ability, unpredictability, and he can link up perfectly with his team mates. Wonder if Del Bosque has pondered that possibility and I hope he tries to utilize him in that role some day. Thiago would be starting for Brazil, but I'd say playing for Spain is worth the wait. It's simply a better suited team for him and includes many of his club teammates.

Y

Youngie

Cesc is a straight up attacking midfielder who racks up assists and is great at playing the final ball. Isco is truly the perfect false 9 for Spain. He has speed, agility, vision, finishing ability, powerful shots, amazing technical ability, unpredictability, and he can link up perfectly with his team mates. Wonder if Del Bosque has pondered that possibility and I hope he tries to utilize him in that role some day. Thiago would be starting for Brazil, but I'd say playing for Spain is worth the wait. It's simply a better suited team for him and includes many of his club teammates.

Yes I know but supposing there are only two midfield spots available - I think they'll go to Cesc & Isco. Maybe Thiago. It's uncertain.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Well Del Bosque changes it up a lot, but I'd say that Thiago is pretty much necessary for Spain after the retirement of Xavi because the role of orchestrator and deep lying playmaker has to be filled. Spain cannot be just a bunch of very direct attacking midfielders.

Y

Youngie

Well Del Bosque changes it up a lot, but I'd say that Thiago is pretty much necessary for Spain after the retirement of Xavi because the role of orchestrator and deep lying playmaker has to be filled. Spain cannot be just a bunch of very direct attacking midfielders.

If the double-pivot remains Spain won't be.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
If the double-pivot remains Spain won't be.

I hate having Alonso in the Spain midfield sometimes. He occupies the space that Xavi uses and some of the space that Busquets uses. It should be one pivot, one orchestrator, and one more fluid advanced midfielder that links the play to the attack. Having Alonso just restricts some creative flow and slows it down. For example 2-3 years from now the midfield could be Cesc-Busquets-Thiago or Isco-Busquets-Thiago

Ursegor

World Champion
I hate having Alonso in the Spain midfield sometimes. He occupies the space that Xavi uses and some of the space that Busquets uses. It should be one pivot, one orchestrator, and one more fluid advanced midfielder that links the play to the attack. Having Alonso just restricts some creative flow and slows it down. For example 2-3 years from now the midfield could be Cesc-Busquets-Thiago or Isco-Busquets-Thiago

Whenever Spain use 1 DM, they concede goals. Uruguay and France being recent examples. If Cavani's touch hadn't let him down numerous times, he could have scored a couple of goals yesterday. Whenever Spain use a double pivot however, they remain unbreakable. 0 goals in knockout games conceded since 2006.

Alonso doesn't restrict anyone. He does the opposite. He frees up the defensive burden of Xavi and Iniesta and allows them more freedom to operate in the final third. Actually Barcelona should also play with a double pivot in knockout games. It's funny to see Spain showcasting the best defensive performance ever seen in international football with up to 7 Barcelona players in the starting XI whereas Barcelona is conceding goals left and right against everyone and his dog.

On a side note. Sad too see Isco getting minutes for Spain while Thiago isn't even called up due to his lack of minutes with Barcelona. So Pep trusts Thiago to start in a title deciding Clasico but Roura doesn't play him against Valencia 3 days after a Clasico when everyone else is fatigued and with a 15 point lead on Madrid which leads to Xavi possibly missing the CL game in the San Siro? We're being coached by the guy who relegated l'Hospitalet. And in the most crucial part of the season. ROFL.

Last edited:

loozy

Nah, that's not correct. I actually think that Busquets and Alosno work really well together in midfield and basically choke any attacking threat the other team might pose. They are quite relentless tacklers and defensively minded as well so that gives the more offensive-thinking part of the team more freedom as they know they have those two securing them.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Nah, just a consequence of maturing as a player in Spain and in the national system in place - he developed relationships and chemistry with many Spaniards and so it was natural that he'd choose to play for La Roja, IMO...Just like he just fits at Barcelona, he fits with the NT...Although the Seleção sure could use a talent in midfield like Thiago...Outside of Oscar they are short of solutions

Y

Youngie

Thiago playing for the Spain NT is kinda wasting his talents. Playing for Brazil the kid would be free to rule the football world. That may sound a bit melodramatic but it's true.

Thiago and Oscar would be a ridiculously sexy midfield.

:emotions16:

Last edited:

Jadentheman

He had a chance to, but it's too late now I think. He has chosen. Although with Scolari as coach maybe they could convince him, but doesn't the rules state that he won't be allowed to play for a while?

EDIT: Thiago could if he hasn't played for the senior Spain NT

GiantKiller

He had a chance to, but it's too late now I think. He has chosen. Although with Scolari as coach maybe they could convince him, but doesn't the rules state that he won't be allowed to play for a while?

EDIT: Thiago could if he hasn't played for the senior Spain NT

If I'm not mistaken, he has and now that ship has sailed.

Home of Barca Fans