Thiago Translantara

Zachary

We need a more dynamic midfield. Xavi is losing his influence as he gets older and may not be at international level soon. So, Iniesta-Busquets is all we have looking ahead with Fabregas-where? Song-where? Then, Thiago, although young (but not necessarily a newbie at 22), does not show even hints of the play-building game influence that's necessary in Barca's midfield in the manner that such players like, say, Alonso, Ozil, DeMaria, Schweinsteiger, Wilshere, etc. because, instead of being a game-controlling machine, he's just pretty much another player running on the field losing balls and passes more than really acceptable for higher category sides.

However, I must add that the same goes for Fabregas. I don't see him either taking the baton and conducting the Blaugrana orchestra, in fact, still far from it. All we can do is to have patience and hope that Xavi can still conduct Beethoven's 9th in up to two more years. By then, if neither Thiago, nor Fabregas can conduct yet, we'd seriously need to address the extremely important midfield.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
No matter what happens, Thiago isn't going to the WC in 2014 in all probability...It's too soon to jump into the squad for him having not featured at all and one season anywhere isn't going to have him supplant anyone within the NT under Del Bosque - unless there's an injury

That being said, the Cesc-Thiago partnership really failed today...Still think Song played a role in that failure too but no one had a worse game on the day than Cesc Fabregas

Stric

I agree, I don't think there's a chance of Thiago making the WC squad. They play a double pivot, so there's really only one spot available for a player of his type, and the competition is already insane.

Cesc-Thiago, and especially Cesc-Song-Thiago is a recipe for disaster. Both Cesc and Thiago play best when they play next to Xavi, and definitely in front of Busquets.

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Then, Thiago, although young (but not necessarily a newbie at 22), does not show even hints of the play-building game influence that's necessary in Barca's midfield in the manner that such players like, say, Alonso, Ozil, DeMaria, Schweinsteiger, Wilshere, etc. because, instead of being a game-controlling machine, he's just pretty much another player running on the field losing balls and passes more than really acceptable for higher category sides.
He's shown more than glimpses for Spain, and in some games for Barca, but he really didn't show anything of it today. He's done well with both Fabregas and Song before, but the midfield didn't gel at all today.

I agree, I don't think there's a chance of Thiago making the WC squad. They play a double pivot, so there's really only one spot available for a player of his type, and the competition is already insane.

Cesc-Thiago, and especially Cesc-Song-Thiago is a recipe for disaster. Both Cesc and Thiago play best when they play next to Xavi, and definitely in front of Busquets.

Thiago/Iniesta has worked really well too. As for Thiago-Song-Cesc, I just think they need some time to gel. We'll need to use them as our midfield 3 at times to rest our first choice midfield.

Stric

Thiago/Iniesta has worked really well too.

That's true. Cesc-Iniesta can also work well, sometimes. My point, however, was that they play best next to Xavi. That is, when they play AM, and when they have Xavi providing CM support next to them. Which sucks, to be honest, because it turns out that again, with both Thiago and Cesc, we have no real replacement for Xavi, only more AM type of players. Xavi is the only one who controls the midfield and dictates the game. Sometimes I dare say that Thiago is better at the CM role than Cesc, but I also believe Thiago is better at AM than at CM. It's always some kind of compromise.

As for Thiago-Song-Cesc, I just think they need some time to gel. We'll need to use them as our midfield 3 at times to rest our first choice midfield.

We should never ever really use it unless we have to, though. Like today.

Ritchie

Cesc, Song and Thiago won't work as a midfield but Busquets and Iniesta needed saving for Tuesday after tough internationals and with Xavi injured.

That's true. Cesc-Iniesta can also work well, sometimes. My point, however, was that they play best next to Xavi. That is, when they play AM, and when they have Xavi providing CM support next to them. Which sucks, to be honest, because it turns out that again, with both Thiago and Cesc, we have no real replacement for Xavi, only more AM type of players. Xavi is the only one who controls the midfield and dictates the game. Sometimes I dare say that Thiago is better at the CM role than Cesc, but I also believe Thiago is better at AM than at CM. It's always some kind of compromise.

We should never ever really use it unless we have to, though. Like today.

IMO, Thiago should be able to replace Xavi, though he won't be exactly the same. He obviously isn't ready for it right now, but IMO, he should be when the time comes.

As for Thiago-Song-Cesc, I think the fact that it didn't work that well has a lot to do with Cesc being off-form and the 3 of them not having gelled together yet.

Last edited:

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
What Thiago lacked mostly was the right movement. He DID move well, but mostly to create space for others and not to knit the midfield together and make himself available. This is one of the main things he'll have to improve on if he is to come close to emulating Xavi (and he could, as he's a similar type of player) for Barca, and hopefully it'll come with time, as it's a role he has to assume when he isn't playing with Xavi. Iniesta might be able to do it, but I think that ship has sailed as Andres is much better playing to his own strenths.

ZenI

Professor Balthazar
What Thiago lacked mostly was the right movement. He DID move well, but mostly to create space for others and not to knit the midfield together and make himself available. This is one of the main things he'll have to improve on if he is to come close to emulating Xavi (and he could, as he's a similar type of player) for Barca, and hopefully it'll come with time, as it's a role he has to assume when he isn't playing with Xavi. Iniesta might be able to do it, but I think that ship has sailed as Andres is much better playing to his own strenths.

Dude, sorry, but he just sucked tonight. Misplaced many easy passes, got disposed many times for trying to make some easy dribble, didn't dictate the game at all etc. Clearly not ready at all to play for the first team. I agree with Bojan, Thiagos father should shut up about how his son would walk straight into any team when he couldn't make anything happen against Celta. I hope I'm wrong, but there is something worrying about this kid - we should give him a couple of chances and if he can't take them than loan and goodbye. Because a couple of good games in the pre-season is far from enough on this level.

Home of Barca Fans