Thiago Translantara

BarcaJack

I think Thiago is OK.. Of course he's not good enough now to lead the team and change the game. Without Messi's help the midfield is a mess.. Yeah we have the most promising midfielders but we still need Messi's help...OMG
What really bothers me is Cesc. I watched about 30 minutes and I couldn't see him... OMG.

KhaledBarca

He played some very good games this season, his best was vs Getafe at Camp Nou.
This season he was about for 2+ months at the beginning and didn't have enough playing time.
His best game so far in a Barca T-shirt was last season (2-3 win at san siro).

I'm positive that he will be able to replace Xavi in the future, but Tito/Roura need to rotate more and give him more playing time!

Last edited:

Zachary

The other problem is that, even Iniesta isn't really a midfielder by nature. He does have good vision of the game and good passing, but his greater skills shine brighter when coming in to the box, or inside the box, where his dribbling, his squeezing through, between a defender and the goal line that he does so well, or his sublime execution of one-two's with another good dribbler (Messi, Dani, even Xavi) make him a world class player. But a highly desirable attribute in a midfielder is passing, particularly super-well-timed and accurately-directed diagonal passing that typically breaks a defense's back...and guess who's the best of us at that? Yes, Lionel; Iniesta?...only some times.

Actually, and until recently, our tiki-taka was the best "midfield" anybody can have: it retained ball possession and, in doing so, it defended well and it generated enough scoring opportunities; problem is that defenses started to "learn" how to deal with it, so it kind of stopped working and now we need a "real" midfield, just like anybody else. Xavi is the only strong "true" midfielder that we have, along with Busquets on the defensive side. Fabregas, Song or Thiago are midfielders as well, but, they are not currently world class midfielders, not now, therefore not a current solution to our midfield dilemma to confront the last remaining powers of Europe that are coming right up. For this we'll need really strong and sustained support/feed to our three strikers, as we typically miss just too many chances to score. ------ Just look at those guys....Alonso, Ozil and DiMaria on the field, with Modric, Khedira and Kaka on the bench. What's wrong with this picture?

Irish_Cules

What is your point exactly? Iniesta isn't a true midfielder? He's the best midfielder in the world at the moment. His dribbling enhances his midfield play, allowing him to switch from tika taka style passing to a more direct dribbling style when he chooses. Just because he doesn't play exactly like Xavi it doesn't mean he is not a midfielder by nature. There are different styles of midfielders out there. Xavi has been such an influential player at both club and international level. The way he plays the game has defined the style of both Barca and Spain and this has proved hugely successful for both teams. This does not mean that you have to play like Xavi to be a true midfielder though. There's no point in going out and looking for another Xavi, there isn't one. You can't just dismiss the midfielders we have because they don't play exactly like Xavi. You have to embrace the talents they have. Saying that Xavi is our only strong true midfielder is such an unbelievably ridiculous thing to say. Our strength and depth in midfield is the envy of world football.

What is your point exactly? Iniesta isn't a true midfielder? He's the best midfielder in the world at the moment. His dribbling enhances his midfield play, allowing him to switch from tika taka style passing to a more direct dribbling style when he chooses. Just because he doesn't play exactly like Xavi it doesn't mean he is not a midfielder by nature. There are different styles of midfielders out there. Xavi has been such an influential player at both club and international level. The way he plays the game has defined the style of both Barca and Spain and this has proved hugely successful for both teams. This does not mean that you have to play like Xavi to be a true midfielder though. There's no point in going out and looking for another Xavi, there isn't one. You can't just dismiss the midfielders we have because they don't play exactly like Xavi. You have to embrace the talents they have. Saying that Xavi is our only strong true midfielder is such an unbelievably ridiculous thing to say. Our strength and depth in midfield is the envy of world football.

This. If there is one place in which the team has few or no problems, it's the midfield. Our depth in midfield is good as well, with Thiago, Cesc (though he's out of form atm) and Song as back ups. Our Thiago-Song-Cesc midfield didn't work that well yesterday, but I think a large part of that is down to Cesc being out of form and Thiago, Song and Cesc not really having gelled together yet. Give them time to gel, and Thiago-Song-Cesc can work really well IMO, especially with an on-form Cesc.

He played some very good games this season, his best was vs Getafe at Camp Nou.
This season he was about for 2+ months at the beginning and didn't have enough playing time.
His best game so far in a Barca T-shirt was last season (2-3 win at san siro).

I'm positive that he will be able to replace Xavi in the future, but Tito/Roura need to rotate more and give him more playing time!

This. He can't replace Xavi yet but I'm fairly confident he'll be able to in the future.

Last edited:
Y

Youngie

Mazinho (father Thiago): "I expected him to play more this year, but no chance he'll leave now. He has a contract and is very happy." [ser]

BTW: Mazinho was in the audience for the Celta game (used to play for them).

evilhita666

Barçapocalypse NOW!
He hasn't impressed the last few matches, but saying he needs to be sold is overreacting... Thiago has immense talent and he's still developing, he has all the right qualities to become a starter in the future, no need to panic...

michi21

i love thiago! but saturday, watching the match with the italian tv, i have heard that manchester utd could buy him for the next season! there are really chanche that this happen?
tks

mixer

He's father said Thiago isn't going anywhere now. Xavi is near to the end of his carrer and then Thiago will be a starter and everyone will be happy ;)

Y

Youngie

Thiago will be a starter when Xavi retires? Not unless he proves himself first...

Kerrybai

Thiago will be a starter when Xavi retires? Not unless he proves himself first...
He's our most suited player to the Xavi position right now. I don't see us splashing out on another midfielder. As Xavi ages thiago and fabregas will start much more in midfield.

Home of Barca Fans