Thiago Translantara

BigBarcaBoy

I thought that having Xavi alongside him which meant he played the Iniesta role suited him really well, if he learns to stop some of the silly stuff and plays his game he will be a superstar.

I thought that having Xavi alongside him which meant he played the Iniesta role suited him really well, if he learns to stop some of the silly stuff and plays his game he will be a superstar.

He's also had great games in the Xavi role, especially when he's had Iniesta alongside him. For example, the games against Deportivo and Getafe. And the league game against Malaga (came off for Xavi for about the last 15 minutes, he got a goal and did well overall). Not exactly great sides (aside from Malaga), but neither is Zaragoza.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
I see his future as being more in the Xavi role than in the Iniesta role, especially if he's in a midfield with Cesc

FCBarca

Mike the Knife

Very key observation to make...That wrinkle of having Xavi there, gave Cesc & Thiago more freedom to calmly do their thing in an advanced role where they both excel...Although I thought Thiago did drop deep to receive the ball on several occasions with good success, he was superlative in front of Xavi

Cesc, on the other hand, had only a couple of noteworthy moments and mostly was underperforming, IMO...His body language, especially going into the half, was that of a frustrated player

Stric

I see his future as being more in the Xavi role than in the Iniesta role, especially if he's in a midfield with Cesc

"Unfortunately." They're both better suited for the attacking role. The first player that comes to mind as the type that could replace Xavi is Modrić.

Stric

I agree. No one can do what Xavi does, but Modrić is the closest I can think of (quickly), at least as far as current "famous" young players go. He's that Xavi/Pirlo-esque type of midfielder. There's really not many around.

dostoevskij

I agree. No one can do what Xavi does, but Modrić is the closest I can think of (quickly), at least as far as current "famous" young players go. He's that Xavi/Pirlo-esque type of midfielder. There's really not many around.

modric will be 28 this year. Not really young...

Stric

Comparing to Xavi who's 33 and Pirlo who'll be 34 this year, he's young. He has a 5-6 season advantage over them. That's more than Pep's entire era.

Indignado

We just need to accept the fact that we won't play in the same way when Xavi isn't around anymore. The basic principle stays the same (possession, tiki-taka), but the system will surely differ a little. Maybe our two attacking/central midfielders' role will then be very similar (unlike now where one of them is way more attack-minded). We have huge potential in our midfield so it would be stupid to go after a player who resembles Xavi the most.

Stric

Of course, I'm not saying we should go further and look for a replacement for Xavi, I'm just saying that there's no one in our squad that even resembles that type of playing, and outside of the squad, excluding Pirlo, the first guy that comes to mind is Modrić. Anyways, I honestly can't see our current system work well after Xavi. He is the only thing saving our single-DM system from defensive disaster (when he's in form). I can't see how playing with one DM and any combination of Iniesta, Fabregas and Thiago as the two in front, in their current respective styles, will work as the main system without severe improvements in our defense. And by improvements I don't mean better players, but generally a more defensive approach. Most teams play with 2 DMs and 1 defensive fullback, nowadays Barcelona plays with 1 DM and 0 defensive fullbacks most of the time. Either a double pivot or a more conservative back four will be able to even slightly make up for the attacking intensity up front. That, or one of the above mentioned players will most likely alter their game to fit the role as best as they can. I'd prefer it if it was Iniesta.

Last edited:
Of course, I'm not saying we should go further and look for a replacement for Xavi, I'm just saying that there's no one in our squad that even resembles that type of playing, and outside of the squad, excluding Pirlo, the first guy that comes to mind is Modrić. Anyways, I honestly can't see our current system work well after Xavi. He is the only thing saving our single-DM system from defensive disaster (when he's in form). I can't see how playing with one DM and any combination of Iniesta, Fabregas and Thiago as the two in front, in their current respective styles, will work as the main system without severe improvements in our defense. And by improvements I don't mean better players, but generally a more defensive approach. Most teams play with 2 DMs and 1 defensive fullback, nowadays Barcelona plays with 1 DM and 0 defensive fullbacks most of the time. Either a double pivot or a more conservative back four will be able to even slightly make up for the attacking intensity up front. That, or one of the above mentioned players will most likely alter their game to fit the role as best as they can. I'd prefer it if it was Iniesta.

We'll probably need to use 1 defensive fullback, but I don't think we'll need a double pivot. I can see a midfield of Thiago-Busquets-Iniesta working, especially with 1 defensive fullback. Don't forget, Thiago has had good games in the Xavi role (especially when he's had Iniesta beside him), i.e. the games against Deportivo and Getafe as well as the league game against Malaga. Thiago will obviously be a bit different from Xavi, but after Thiago gets more experience and games, I can see a midfield of Thiago-Busquets-Iniesta with Thiago in the Xavi role (or something similar to it) working, especially with 1 defensive fullback. He has his problems atm (i.e. he makes mistakes) but I think those will be sorted out with experience and playing time.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans