Thiago Translantara

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
A young player who is almost a carbon copy of Xavi in terms of style is Oliver Torres. However Thiago gives us a different style in a similar role which is not something bad, it's just something that we aren't used to yet. He doesn't have to be exactly like Xavi or exactly like Iniesta, he's in between (closer to Xavi I'd say). I've said before that we're not gonna have the same midfield forever and that isn't a bad thing. I'd personally love to see Samper-Busquets-Thiago in the long term but there are other players who can succeed and be midfield starters Cesc, Rafinha, Roberto, etc.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
Surprisingly quick and arguably better technically than both Xavi and Iniesta...

Needs to improve a bit on his awareness and on being a bit more consistent, but if he keeps having games like the one vs Zaragoza then we needn't worry about the future of the midfield.

BarcaJack

No one can replace Xavi, but damn Luka would be a good fit. Such a talent.
"Unfortunately." They're both better suited for the attacking role. The first player that comes to mind as the type that could replace Xavi is Modrić.
I enjoy Luka's playing. Fantastic. However, I don't think he can be fully intergrated into our system. Can he control the ball in tiny spaces and make no mistakes like Xavi does? Notice that even a great midfielder like Fabregas has problems with that. And his playing style isn't exactly Spanish... I think...
I agree he could make a great DM alongside Busquets if one day we cannot do high pressing anymore and have to play 4-2-3-1 (Hope that day will never come:)). But by no means he can replace Xavi.

B

beautifulgame

only saw a couple of his usual mistakes but very impressive otherwise! looked the best player on the pitch easily that day.

kozza

Despite his incredible talent and the fact that he regularly takes risks in his passes, he seems to need confidence to play at his best.
Yesterday, he managed well his first tricks, then he follow on and did almost everything successfully.
Conversely, in some games he was bad because of one missed trick, and his performance suffered greatly.

I also like when combined with Xavi. the security provided by el Maestro in his passing game is very complementary with the instinctive and risky game of Thiago.
When playing alongside with Iniesta, he sometimes lacks that tranquility, the control of the game, and the ball went too fast to the opponent.

spark

Surprisingly quick and arguably better technically than both Xavi and Iniesta...

Needs to improve a bit on his awareness and on being a bit more consistent, but if he keeps having games like the one vs Zaragoza then we needn't worry about the future of the midfield.

:O I dont know, We're talking Totti Bergkamp Messi or Ronaldinho level of technique then. As much as I like him, hes not yet one of the best technical players to walk this earth in such limited sample size.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
:O I dont know, We're talking Totti Bergkamp Messi or Ronaldinho level of technique then. As much as I like him, hes not yet one of the best technical players to walk this earth in such limited sample size.

I know, but I think he's on their level or higher, atleast when it comes to general technique. What he lacks is the experience it takes to know how to use it, Xavi's passing technique and a bit of game intelligence.

Catorce

Cruijff's Heir
Still way too nonchalant on the ball. That is something I really dislike about Thiago, which bothers me even more since it's nothing technical. It's a mental issue.

dostoevskij

im really happy with his development! especially considering his injury at the beginning of this season. he has played a lot of games ( maybe not the really important games, but this will come with time), has shown his value for the team, scored goals... Go on like this Thiago!!! Next season he will be even more in the centre, as i expect Xavi, who will turn 34 in january, to play less games.

Y

Youngie

Fair play to him! Hope Thiago keeps up this level of playing. Not getting too excited yet - only vs Zaragoza...

Home of Barca Fans