Thiago Translantara

Kerrybai

He doesn't have to be exactly like Xavi or exactly like Iniesta, he's in between (closer to Xavi I'd say). I've said before that we're not gonna have the same midfield forever and that isn't a bad thing.

Exactly, losing Xavi will be the footballing equivalant of having a frontal lobotomy. Players of this cerebral quality are about as easy to replace as a brain itself. However as long as our next generation can continue to play our passing/possession game to a high enough level then we don't have to worry if they are not carbon copies of Xavi and Iniesta. Forcing Thisgo into a Xavi mould seems unnatural, in time he will assert his own unique dominance in midfield.

leon

im really happy with his development! especially considering his injury at the beginning of this season. he has played a lot of games ( maybe not the really important games, but this will come with time), has shown his value for the team, scored goals... Go on like this Thiago!!! Next season he will be even more in the centre, as i expect Xavi, who will turn 34 in january, to play less games.
I don't know if he'd have a shot for the next WC if he stays for the next season. It would be a shame if he won't cause he will be 23 then and I expect a lot of achievements for such a talented player he is.

Y

Youngie

Leon: Lets face it: Thiago would not bench Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets or Alonso for ESP. Where will he play? Then there's guys like Cesc, Silva, Mata etc. in front of Thiago.

I said if before and I'll say it again: Thiago should have opted for Brazil rather than ESP. He'd probably be a starter now...

Kerrybai

Leon: Lets face it: Thiago would not bench Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets or Alonso for ESP. Where will he play? Then there's guys like Cesc, Silva, Mata etc. in front of Thiago.

I said if before and I'll say it again: Thiago should have opted for Brazil rather than ESP. He'd probably be a starter now...

That's a fair point but I think you must always declare for the country you feel most attached to, presuming that was Spain for Thiago then it's the right choice. From a footballing point of view Messi should have played for Spain but he's always hung on to his Argentinian roots. Anyways I think that come Euro 2016 Thiago will have a place on the Spanish squad.

Y

Youngie

Kerrybai: which position do you think Thiago will play for Spain in 2016 (or sooner): the Xavi role or further up the pitch?

Irish_Cules

Ye the two defensive mids would mean Thiago the centre attacking mid role would be perfect for Thiago. He could play across any of the three attacking mid positions they currently use really.

misterplatin

Spain will have a very strong and experienced squad for 2014 world-cup .

-------------------------------------Villa/Cesc/Llorente--------------------------

-Pedro/Iniesta/Cazorla----------------Xavi/Thiago----------------Silva/Mata/Navas-

------------------Javi Martinez/Alonso-------Busquets---------------------------

-Alba/Monreal---------------Ramos-----------Albiol/Pique------------- Carvajal

-----------------------------Casillas/Valdes/DDG-------------------------------

Indignado

Spain will have a very strong and experienced squad for 2014 world-cup .

-------------------------------------Villa/Cesc/Llorente--------------------------

-Pedro/Iniesta/Cazorla----------------Xavi/Thiago----------------Silva/Mata/Navas-

------------------Javi Martinez/Alonso-------Busquets---------------------------

-Alba/Monreal---------------Ramos-----------Albiol/Pique------------- Carvajal

-----------------------------Casillas/Valdes/DDG-------------------------------

They're never gonna line up so few defenders :D

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Silva, Iniesta, and Mata play on the wings, Cesc mainly as false 9, and Xavi and Alonso will likely lose their starting place by then. Thiago will get more and more opportunities for Barca and subsequently for the NT. Likely not as a starter in the WC but he'll be in the squad at the very least.

Home of Barca Fans