Thiago Translantara

JamDav1982

Who he would replace? Thiago would need to have nothing less than a stellar year to have a shot of replacing Cazorla. And even then, I don't see it happening. Mata had a better season than Silva, and won't bench him. Don't try to apply logic to Vdb, that's not how he rolls. He will take Puyol, if he's fit.

I just Thiago is about the only player in the squad that could cover for Xavi.

Not sure who he would displace at moment as all played well and all fit.

I think there is logic behind his thinking, its not all blind loyalty.

spark

Who he would replace? Thiago would need to have nothing less than a stellar year to have a shot of replacing Cazorla. And even then, I don't see it happening. Mata had a better season than Silva, and won't bench him. Don't try to apply logic to Vdb, that's not how he rolls. He will take Puyol, if he's fit.

Its this exactly. He will take Puyi and leave someone like Azpilicueta at home without batting an eyelid. Forgetting about Thiago for a second, De Gea will have to have the year of his life to even come near ousting Reina the dressing room joker. And even then Reina will probably have to be injured to not go.

JamDav1982

Its this exactly. He will take Puyi and leave someone like Azpilicueta at home without batting an eyelid. Forgetting about Thiago for a second, De Gea will have to have the year of his life to even come near ousting Reina the dressing room joker. And even then Reina will probably have to be injured to not go.

Reina in a position that will almost certainly not get used and is brilliant for team morale.

I would take him also, despite not being as good as possible replacements.

It is not blind loyalty though. There is clear method to most of his squad.

Galning

:lol: Those guys working for Mundo Deportivo have such awesome jobs.
"If Alexis leaves, Tello will get more playing time, with Neymar possibly playing more on the right wing as well."

F

Flavia

Reina in a position that will almost certainly not get used and is brilliant for team morale.

I would take him also, despite not being as good as possible replacements.

It is not blind loyalty though. There is clear method to most of his squad.
There is a method, buy Puyol's not here in Brazil because he's injured. He brings leadership, and that's important to Vdb. Same with all others, they all add something. He already has a full squad, I cannot see how Thiago will manage to make Vdb let go of one of his established squad players for him. Some of those here for the confed cup might not be at the wc because Alonso and Puyol can come back. So it's even harder for someone outside this group to make it.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Furthermore with Thiago's NT asperations, if he REALLY wanted to play in the WC, he should have joined Brazil not Spain. Brazil desperately need a player like Thiago.

But anyways, I believe that this is VdB's last major tournament with Spain so his chances of making it into the squad will improve with once he is gone. Why would VdB deviate from the players that have brought him so much success?

If he leaves now, I can easily see him flopping wherever he goes bc other than Arsenal, Dortmund or maybe Bayern, there is no team who's style fits his style as well as Barca does. Plus Bayern and UTD are stacked with CM/CAMs so I'm not sure why he assumes he will get more playing time there. Every player who jumps from a different league usually spends 40% of the season just getting acclimated to the style of the league and I think Thiago will have a harder time transitioning than he thinks. Ironically, I could see him actually playing less this season if he leaves Barca bc of this reason.

JamDav1982

Furthermore with Thiago's NT asperations, if he REALLY wanted to play in the WC, he should have joined Brazil not Spain. Brazil desperately need a player like Thiago.

But anyways, I believe that this is VdB's last major tournament with Spain so his chances of making it into the squad will improve with once he is gone. Why would VdB deviate from the players that have brought him so much success?

If he leaves now, I can easily see him flopping wherever he goes bc other than Arsenal, Dortmund or maybe Bayern, there is no team who's style fits his style as well as Barca does. Plus Bayern and UTD are stacked with CM/CAMs so I'm not sure why he assumes he will get more playing time there. Every player who jumps from a different league usually spends 40% of the season just getting acclimated to the style of the league and I think Thiago will have a harder time transitioning than he thinks. Ironically, I could see him actually playing less this season if he leaves Barca bc of this reason.

Injuries could lead his way into the squad and playing regular will help his chances no doubt even though it doesnt make it definite.

Not sure about 40% of the season getting used to the league. Almost all the Spanish players moving abroad seemed to have had their best season first and started strongly -
Michu, Martinez, Aguero, Mata, Torres etc all adapted straight away.

i_bleed_blaugrana

Injuries could lead his way into the squad and playing regular will help his chances no doubt even though it doesnt make it definite.

Not sure about 40% of the season getting used to the league. Almost all the Spanish players moving abroad seemed to have had their best season first and started strongly -
Michu, Martinez, Aguero, Mata, Torres etc all adapted straight away.

Valid point.

It's just at UTD in particular, unless Moyes moves away from the traditional 4-4-2 which he could, I think he will struggle more than most. All of those players you listed are either strikers or in Mata and Martinez's case, had very little competition in the squads for how they played. Strikers can have it easier as all they have to do is score, as long as they do that, then they are fine.

At UTD, Thiago will have to compete with Carrick, Cleverley, Kagawa and Giggs with Kagawa in particular giving him some stiff competition. I wish Moyes would realize that he already has a world class CAM in the form of Kagawa and if they allowed him to play in his natural role, they wouldn't need Thiago or Isco. UTD need a DM more than anything, a hard-nose ball winner who embodies the spirit of ole captain himself Roy Keane (always loved him as player).

Point being, its bc of UTD's style of play and the squad they have already that makes me skeptical of how well Thiago would do there. Arsenal on the other hand would be a completely different story, if he went to Arsenal he would be better than Fab was there, guarantee it.

JamDav1982

Valid point.

It's just at UTD in particular, unless Moyes moves away from the traditional 4-4-2 which he could, I think he will struggle more than most. All of those players you listed are either strikers or in Mata and Martinez's case, had very little competition in the squads for how they played. Strikers can have it easier as all they have to do is score, as long as they do that, then they are fine.

At UTD, Thiago will have to compete with Carrick, Cleverley, Kagawa and Giggs with Kagawa in particular giving him some stiff competition. I wish Moyes would realize that he already has a world class CAM in the form of Kagawa and if they allowed him to play in his natural role, they wouldn't need Thiago or Isco. UTD need a DM more than anything, a hard-nose ball winner who embodies the spirit of ole captain himself Roy Keane (always loved him as player).

Point being, its bc of UTD's style of play and the squad they have already that makes me skeptical of how well Thiago would do there. Arsenal on the other hand would be a completely different story, if he went to Arsenal he would be better than Fab was there, guarantee it.

Ask any Man Utd fan and they will tell you they have been crying out for better midfielders in recent seasons.

They are drooling at the thought of him going there. Only Carrick of the players named is a proper CM and he would play with Thiago.

Man Utd would be the easiest big team for him to get into.

Whether or not Moyes tactics suits him who knows, but Moyes is not stupid enough to buy him if he doesnt plan building round him.

Mr Hulot

Bartra: "Thiago brings togetherness to the group. While on the pitch you can tell he inspires the team to play and to keep possession."

You can even tell it from the TV screen!

i_bleed_blaugrana

Ask any Man Utd fan and they will tell you they have been crying out for better midfielders in recent seasons.

They are drooling at the thought of him going there. Only Carrick of the players named is a proper CM and he would play with Thiago.

Man Utd would be the easiest big team for him to get into.

Whether or not Moyes tactics suits him who knows, but Moyes is not stupid enough to buy him if he doesnt plan building round him.

Again, they have Kagawa already. Get another DM, put him and Carrick behind Kagawa and sit back and watch the fireworks. Right now, I'd say Kagawa is more complete than Thiago at this moment in time. Thiago can be better than Kagawa, but he isn't there yet. Him and Van Persie would be hard to stop, particularly with Kagawa's pace.

I just don't want Thiago to leave, this club simply suits him better than all the rest in a year and a half tops he will be starting in the best team in the world, playing with Messi in his prime and Neymar about to hit his prime. Not to mention home is where the heart is, as Cesc proved.

Regardless, we won't know anything until the U-21 Euros are over.

Mr Hulot

Thiago can play very well the deep midfielder role. He can easily play next to Carrick. I don't know why you consider Thiago as an attacking midfielder, as he never played there for Barca or Spain, opposed to Kagawa, to whom it is his natural position.

Anyway, let's hope that he will stay here.

oz187

Wait, what? At United he'd get more playing time than at any of those other clubs, especially Bayern.

Del Bosque has an anti Premier League bias. Utd play a different style so even if Thiago did succeed there, I'm not sure it would do him much good in terms of getting into the Spain squad. He doesn't need to just play first team football, he also has to show Del Bosque that he can integrate into the Spanish team. With his propensity for errors and Del Bosques safety first strategy I can see it difficult for Thiago to make it into the squad. I think his best bet is to stay and earn more playing time.

If he can't hack it Barca, why would Del Bosque think he can hack it for Spain which is based on the Barca system?

Galning

Del Bosque has an anti Premier League bias.

30nji29.gif

Home of Barca Fans