Thiago Translantara

Is this quote from Thiago True?

"I would be lying if i said my dream is to succeed in Barcelona, my dream is to succeed in football"

If that is an actual quote from Thiago it probably goes a long way to answering those on here who are asking why would he want to leave, hes not obsessed with having to make it at Barca, im sure in an ideal world hed like to, why up sticks and move home when you dont need to, but the fact is he wont get the game time at Barcelona so why wait around and waste years of your career when you dont have to? Xavi and Iniesta are and will remain ahead of him, Fabregas is also ahead of him, unless 1 or 2 of those are either sold, badly injured or simply told the are being dropped to keep Thiago from leaving (none of which is likely) i dont see how or why Thiago should be expected to stay? why stay and be a bit part player who plays now and then but misses all the big games and almost certainly wont make the world cup when you can go somewhere else play every week at the top level and influence every big match? to someone who wants to succeed in the game rather than merely barcelona you can see why Manchester United is a very attractive option for him, i understand this is a barcelona forum and fans never see it that way but if you look at it from his point of view in his shoes what would you do? wait around another 2 or 3 years and hope Xavi decides to finally call it a day, sit on the bench and watch the big games the world cups and the european championships pass you by or go to an equally big club and be the main man, compete for titles win trophys play every week and show the spanish national coach you are good enough to play at the highest level in the biggest games.

Fact is none of that is possible at Barca unless you make major sacrifices, sacrifices it would seem Vilanova has already made clear you wont make, all this talk of offering him a new contract dosnt make sense to me for that reason, this appears to be all about game time, what is a shiny new deal with more money going to change? the only way i see you keeping him is if basically you drop Xavi on a regular basis to play Thiago, is Xavi going to accept that? is vilanova going to want to do that? and that dosnt even begin to question what happens to Fabregas? youve got to many players of great quality and you cant play them all, unless that situation changes i dont see how you can convince him or expect him to stay when hes good enough to walk into nearly every other midfield in world football.

Can i ask Barca fans if you believe signing Fabregas was a mistake? especially if Thiago does leave will it put more pressure of Cesc next season with the fans maybe blaming him for taking thiagos minutes? correct me if im wrong but wasnt the whole idea behind signing Fabregas to be the long term successor to Xavi? thats what everyone was told at the time, if so do you think maybe the barca hierarchy undervalued Thiago?

Barcafire

This whole saga is nothing to do with him not getting enough games, please do not be so naïve as to be sucked into this greedy game that his father and agent are playing. Thiago made 20 starts and 16 as sub last season, playing in the same team as arguably the best 2 midfielders in the world, Xavi and Iniesta. This whole thing is about getting a new contract and getting more money. His father is exploiting the clause in his contract that was (stupidly but cleverly from the fathers pov) put in. I really rate Thiago, but I also hate these Brazilians who seem to only care about money and if this is the attitude that we are going to have to expect from him in the future then let him go and I hope his career nose dives. Personally I think he will be offered a new contract and will be playing for us next season.

Flawlessly said. Perfect.

Barcafire

I have a feeling that Thiago and his father hasn't spoken to anyone about anything, and all this hoopla is whipped up by the media and carried forth by frenzy fans.

PaCmAn

I have a feeling that Thiago and his father hasn't spoken to anyone about anything, and all this hoopla is whipped up by the media and carried forth by frenzy fans.

Exactly. Redcafe. I'm also getting bare abuse on my tweeter feed by Man U fans.

rafals

Hopefully so, but it's hard for me to believe in this with so many rumours spreading lately.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Latest.

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague 6m
Thiago's dad just back from Manchester. He wants to meet FCB to tell them his son wants to go to United. But FCB want 2 convince him 2 stay

KluivertsBoots

No, this is the real thing. Respectable sources say the deal is nearly complete for Thiago and Rafinha to Manchester United. FCB is supposedly making last minute overtures to try and prevent the deal (it would take a significant upgrade to his contract, something Rosell won't do), but United have made a great offer to the player.

United plan to unveil Thiago and a couple of other signings with Moyes at his official presentation.

Pep taking over at Bayern with 4-5 former Barca staff, and Thiago/Rafinha likely gone all in this week.

Rosell's stock continues to nose dive.

Last edited:

Antimadridista1

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague 8 min

Thiago's dad just back from Manchester. He wants to meet FCB to tell them his son wants to go to United. But FCB want 2 convince him 2 stay

100% Disagree with this notion of it being about money, if it was about money his father would be using the likes of PSG and Monaco not Manchester United, theres far more money on offer around europe than at either United or Barca, i think the "its all about money" angle is what the club wants the fans to think so if/when he leaves the fans will blame the player for being greedy rather than the club for allowing him to leave and this whole release clause farce.

Its definitely about game time, hes 22 years old, already a brilliant player who would play every game in pretty much any other team in the world, he knows this, he also knows when everyones fit at Barca Xavi and Iniesta will play ahead of him not to mention Fabregas, in all the big games Thiago will be a sub at best, he only plays when others are physically unable to, i doubt he longs for another season of watching all the classicos and key champions league games from the dugout when he could be playing in them for someone else.

I think its easier for fans to take if they go down the "hes left for the money" road, i also think this is EXACTLY what the club wants the fans to think, it takes the heat off them and puts it all on the player, sort of telling the fans look we offered him a new contract we offered this and that player x y and z pleaded with him to be patient we promised him more games in the future but he didnt want to listen its all him not us etc Rosell knows there will be a huge backlash from fans if they lose Thiago, by the sounds of things on here hes hardly the favourite president you've ever had even before all this, he will want to be seen doing everything to keep the player and if that fails he will want the fans to take his and the clubs side and turn on the player rather than blame the club.

Truth is if this were about money and not guaranteed time on the pitch it wouldnt be Manchester United his people were talking to, it would be the PSG's and Monaco's of this world, then youd have a case for this being money orientated, hes 22 and wants games regularly, he dosnt and wont get that at Barcelona regardless of how many times you promise rotate him for lesser games that dont require Xavi and Iniesta.

Jadentheman

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague 8 min

RedCafe says Balague always gets it wrong. The opposite happens of what he says. So this means Thiago will stay.

Deco 20

Scandinavian 101
No, this is the real thing. Respectable sources say the deal is nearly complete for Thiago and Rafinha to Manchester United. FCB is supposedly making last minute overtures to try and prevent the deal (it would take a significant upgrade to his contract, something Rosell won't do), but United have made a great offer to the player.

United plan to unveil Thiago and a couple of other signings with Moyes at his official presentation.

Pep taking over at Bayern with 4-5 former Barca staff, and Thiago/Rafinha likely gone all in this week.

Rosell's stock continues to nose dive.

Rafinha?

He's most likely going on loan to Celta

Ballague gets a lot of bad rep from us United fans because we see him as a regular bullshitter who spouts off whatever nonsense he 'hears' with very little foundation, he excelled himself with the down payment on Falcao nonsense and that was the ultimate tipping point for most, that was just ludicrous.

I think on this case though hes merely saying what most others are saying and far more reputable sources than him, Graham Hunter has always seemed to have very good links to barcelona, he dosnt seem to be one who merely says things for the sake of it, basically he dosnt come across as a transfer loudmouth, if he does go big on something it tends to be because he has good reason to believe it, he was the first to mention our interest in thiago 2 years ago, i believe he also lived next door to Mazinhio? an was the one who put us in contact with him when we first enquired back in 2011.

Hes the one with the closest links to Barcelona and Thiago in the media ive seen.

By the way can a mod please approve my posts, id like to discuss this subject with the Barcelona fans on this forum.

Home of Barca Fans