Thiago Translantara

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed. A solid midfield display from Thiago. We all expect him to impose himself on the ball but there´s only one Xavi and we do need to be patient.

gingerless

Indeed. A solid midfield display from Thiago. We all expect him to impose himself on the ball but there´s only one Xavi and we do need to be patient.

he was a bit disappointing... couldn't hold the ball more than 5 seconds and lost it a few times.

but, he is young and only 18? i'm not sure promoting him next season would be good but we'll see how it works out. i just hope it's not another case like bojan

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
he was a bit disappointing... couldn't hold the ball more than 5 seconds and lost it a few times.

but, he is young and only 18? i'm not sure promoting him next season would be good but we'll see how it works out. i just hope it's not another case like bojan

Definitely...I know he's better than what we saw today...Careless at times and poor touch at other times yet still notched a goal and had a nice little run & shot ala 'dinho

He'll be 20 in April

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
If he was playing a bit deeper he would have had more opportunity to show his stuff. But then he probably wouldn't have been in position to score that wonderful header.
Patience is the key. Some of you weren't long following Barca during the time Xavi was supposed to be offloaded. Whata disaster that would have been.

Plip

Cardenal de Catalunya
Bojan, the problem is that with the emergence of Messi - a new, yet somewhat misleading, standard was set for La Masia graduates. Furthermore, it seems that people automatically think that every La Masia prospect is a nearly complete package of everything, having the possibility to succeed from the get-go.

Most seem to forget that it took ages for the players like Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta to establish themselves to the position they are now in. During the wretched Gaspart era, they were even thinking of selling Puyi, which is an absurd thought to many at the moment.

I don't know whether it's the fact that people are less patient than ever these days, especially when it comes to football where immediate results seem to be all tha fans care for. I'm not saying they do not matter, as they really do, but it more or less is about the manner in how those results are achieved than the goal itself.

I'd rather have our younger players groomed and nurtured properly and little-by-little to see what comes out of them than rushing them into the first team. Look what happened with Bojan. Once again, not saying this will happen to Thiago, but people expect of him a wee bit too much for now.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, Puyol was also one of those. And Valdes as well if we are to start making a list.
I believe that achievements Barca experienced during Pep's reign have spoiled some of us and attracted some new fans looking for instant success.
Barca never had such a brilliant period in their history and we all often take it for granted. And as you say, Messi has set the bar so high that I don't think anyone will be able to top it. We are talking about the best player in football history here!

La Furia

Legion of Doooom
Bojan, the problem is that with the emergence of Messi - a new, yet somewhat misleading, standard was set for La Masia graduates. Furthermore, it seems that people automatically think that every La Masia prospect is a nearly complete package of everything, having the possibility to succeed from the get-go.

Most seem to forget that it took ages for the players like Puyol, Xavi and Iniesta to establish themselves to the position they are now in. During the wretched Gaspart era, they were even thinking of selling Puyi, which is an absurd thought to many at the moment.

I don't know whether it's the fact that people are less patient than ever these days, especially when it comes to football where immediate results seem to be all tha fans care for. I'm not saying they do not matter, as they really do, but it more or less is about the manner in how those results are achieved than the goal itself.

I'd rather have our younger players groomed and nurtured properly and little-by-little to see what comes out of them than rushing them into the first team. Look what happened with Bojan. Once again, not saying this will happen to Thiago, but people expect of him a wee bit too much for now.

:worthy:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
T-Bone is juicy, baby, real juicy.

that pass out wide>>delayed run into the box>>looping header into the net thing is VINTAGE Paul Scholes. fantastic goal.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Thiago's future is bright at Barça

Despite having only made eight appearances for FC Barcelona, Thiago Alcántara's unique ability as a player that "can make you say 'wow'" has gained him rave reviews in Spain.

Name: Thiago Alcántara
Club: FC Barcelona
Debut: 17 May 2009 v RCD Mallorca (Liga)
Position: Midfielder
Nationality: Spanish
Date of birth: 11/04/91

Dubbed the next Xavi Hernández in both the Barcelona and Spain midfield, 19-year-old Thiago already appears more than comfortable with the ever growing expectation placed upon his shoulders. The son of 1994 FIFA World Cup winner Mazinho and former volleyball player Valeria, Thiago has been surrounded by sporting excellence since his birth in Bari, southern Italy.

With Mazinho's career latterly taking him to Valencia CF and RC Celta de Vigo in Spain, Thiago began to attract the attention of several high-profile clubs before opting to join Barça aged 14.

Rising up through the youth ranks, Thiago – already renowned for his instinctive passing and ability to run at defenders – was incorporated into the Spanish national setup. Indeed, he was a key part of his country's 2008 UEFA European Under-17 Championship triumph, scoring the third goal in their 4-0 final win against France.

The following year he made his debut in Josep Guardiola's championship-winning side, coming on as a substitute in the Liga defeat at RCD Mallorca. He followed that with his first league goal in the 2009/10 season, a deflected effort in the 4-0 triumph against Real Racing Club.

Thiago's progress was further underlined by an assured performance on his UEFA Champions League debut against FC Rubin Kazan in December 2010; the Spaniard supplied Andreu Fontàs for Barcelona's opening goal on their way to a 2-0 victory.

Breakthrough game
FC Barcelona 5-1 AD Ceuta
10/11/10, Copa del Rey
A comprehensive first-leg victory took the pressure off Barça and Guardiola filled his team with up-and-coming players for the return fixture. Thiago performed sublimely throughout and engineered two spectacular assists for team-mates Gabriel Milito and Lionel Messi.

He says:
"This was exactly what I wanted to experience. "It was a dream come true to make my debut in the top flight, the most marvellous sensation in the world.""
On his first-team bow against Mallorca

"I never had a footballing idol as such because having my father by my side to give me advice was worth so much more than any player you would see on television. My idol came in double form – dad and player."
On his role model

They say:
"You can't be doing things like that at his age – at 30 maybe. It's enough to hug your team-mates and get back to work. We have to bring him back down to earth a little."
Guardiola on Thiago's celebrations following his first senior goal

"He's unique in so many ways. The club understands that he must be in the first team and he will be. "He can bring us things that we don't often have and he does things that sometimes make you say 'wow'.""
Guardiola this time offers praise

"He is technically a great player with great qualities, and is still very young. He has great control and great vision. I think he will be a very important player here in the next few years."
Barcelona team-mate Pedro Rodríguez

"The kid has evolved well over the past two seasons. Several teams have called asking about him – some from overseas – but we are clear the priority is Barcelona and I'm convinced that is where he will stay."
Father Mazinho on Thiago's development and future

http://www.uefa.com/memberassociati...600+Thiago's+future+is+bright+at+Barça

And people still remember Fabregas!?

Myrmecophile

Mr. Japes
Mazinho (father of Thiago): "It's clear that a transfer of Cesc could complicate the development of Thiago and Jonathan Dos Santos."

Home of Barca Fans