Thiago Translantara

You cant know that for sure. Xavi has clearly been on decline this season, and he is our most important player. It doesnt help that our coach was away for long periods because of cancer treatments either of course.

lots of those goals for bayern shouldnt have counted anyway.

And Bayern should have gotten a lot of penalties. It evens out. Besides, they dominated us, we fully deserved to lose 7-0.

As for Xavi, it's obviously not Tito's fault he's aging, but he should have rested him (and played Thiago) more.

losing to anti-football was like getting punched in the nuts repeatedly. Absolutely crushing.

To be fair, the way we lost to Chelsea did piss me off immensely. Domianting the game, missing a million sitters, and losing while Chelsea scored like their only 3 chances (including Ramires' winning goal, which was an individual mistake by Masch). Still, there's no doubt last year's team did far better against Chelsea (and in big games in general) than this year's team did against Bayern.

Last edited:

jamrock

Meh. I was more humiliated by having his poor tactics and lack of a plan B making us go out against Chelsea. I wasn't too embarrassed about getting beat by a clearly superior team like Bayern, regardless of the score. Maybe that is just me though.

At least we won the league and won it well.

i am laughing so hard right now

thank you

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
You really don't understand the influence of a coach on a team do you? As we saw with Roura during Tito's absence, no team can go into autopilot and continue playing at their level without a competent coach to guide them. In reality, Pep's influence on Barca was even bigger than suggested.

You really don't understand the influence of a coach on a team do you? As we saw with Roura during Tito's absence, no team can go into autopilot and continue playing at their level without a competent coach to guide them. In reality, Pep's influence on Barca was even bigger than suggested.

Sure a coach can have a big influence but y'all are really shortchanging this historical group of players. Just look what happened without a healthy Messi, the greatest ever.

. I don't see too much difference between Pep and Tito though, setting aside the disruption of Tito's illness. Tito is more agreessive tactcally but that has ups and downs. I dont think there would be much difference with Bisela or Del Bosque.

The main issue of the team is aging, tired players without clear successors. Noy a ton of depth either like Real or Bayern either. I see that as the main reason the pressing style Pep brought is faltering.

Ursegor

World Champion
As opposed to getting absolutely shut down by:

1)Possibly the youngest, most inexperienced and worst Milan side in atleast the last 20 years
2)Bayern who humiliated us 7-0 while barely giving us even a single chance.
3)B-team of Real Madrid
4)Real Madrid without 3 or 4 starting defenders.
5)Real Madrid in Supercopa who should've won by atleast 4 or 5 more goals.

Pep's record vs Mourinho in the last season - 3 wins 2 draws 1 loss
Tito's record vs Mourinho in this season - 1 win 2 draws 3 losses

Throughout Pep's last season, bar a few games where we lost points, we played football that was still fantastic to watch. While this season, I have not enjoyed Barcelona like in previous seasons. It has nothing to do with match results but everything to do with our play. Barca are still good to watch but not anywhere near the same extent as before.

That's such a simplistic way of looking at it. If we ignore the 5-0 result for a second when Madrid were still building their project and their players hadn't gelled yet then you'll realize that the results against Madrid got steadily worse already under Pep. After the 5-0, off the top of my head:

La Liga Clasico in the Bernabeu: We couldn't break them down and drew 1-1 despite Madrid playing with 10 men (Albiol red card).
Copa del Rey Clasico: First time Madrid pressed us high up the pitch and we didn't cope too well. Madrid should have taken the lead in the first half (Pepe hitting the post). Lost the final 0-1 at the end.
CL semi-final first leg: We created nothing until Pepe got sent off and Messi dribbled past 16 players.
CL semi-final second leg: We actually went behind 0-1 but a Mascherano dive prevented Madrid from taking the lead. We drew 1-1 at the end.
Supercopa Clasicos: Messi with 3 goals and 2 assists over 2 legs. From this point on it wasn't a team effort anymore and the game wasn't won by Pep's tactical acumen. Messi made the difference.
Copa del Rey second leg in Pep's last season: Extremely lucky to survive it with a 2-2 (+ disallowed Ramos goal) at home and we all know it. Higuain could (SHOULD) have scored after 20 seconds already. A deflected cross coupled with an Alves wonder strike somehow took us through to the finals.
Pep's last Clasico: Mourinho wins for the first time in Camp Nou.

There was a game inbetween there somewhere where Pep did brilliantly with the 3-4-3 in the Bernabeu but overall, as you can see, we were getting worse and worse against Madrid already under Pep with many lucky wins or draws which could have easily been losses. We were shut down by Milan even under Pep as well. We didn't score in San Siro and only won in Camp Nou thanks to 2 penalties.

Tito took a declined squad which was already figured out tactically by Mourinho, he got hit by cancer, the squad got hit by injuries (Puyol said he felt uncomfortable the whole season with his knee, Xavi played through many injuries, Busquets had (or still has?) a hernia injury and even Messi got injured) which accummulated to the shitty end of the season. If your squad has a disadvantage in terms of physical well-being then even del Bosque's team, the greatest coach in Spanish history, will get overrun by a Paulinho-Gustavo midfield pairing. Why are people ignoring all of this?

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
They were tighter games but still Barca deserved victories, and you can't act like just because not every goal was a clear testament to Pep's tactical acumen that he declined in creativity and only relied on Messi to take the reigns. As a team we were performing well, dominating the games and being the imposing side. Our victories were convincing under Pep, we were the better team most of the time. A few bad plays or referee decisions doesn't suddenly prove that Madrid were unlucky not to beat us. It goes the other way around as well, with the constant Madrid thuggery to keep us from getting forward when they knew that they clearly had left space for us to create a scoring chance.

Ursegor

World Champion
They were tighter games but still Barca deserved victories, and you can't act like just because not every goal was a clear testament to Pep's tactical acumen that he declined in creativity and only relied on Messi to take the reigns. As a team we were performing well, dominating the games and being the imposing side. Our victories were convincing under Pep, we were the better team most of the time. A few bad plays or referee decisions doesn't suddenly prove that Madrid were unlucky not to beat us. It goes the other way around as well, with the constant Madrid thuggery to keep us from getting forward when they knew that they clearly had left space for us to create a scoring chance.

Did we get steadily worse under Pep or not against Madrid? My time frame is from the 5-0 (before that they were a joke squad, Gago, Guti, grandpa Raul, Drenthe lol) until the 1-2 Camp Nou loss. A simple yes or no will do.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Yes. I'm not disagreeing with that, it's bound to happen under any coach at any team. However we remained the superior team for quite a long time and just because every game wasn't a 5-0 victory doesn't mean that they were all unconvincing/undeserved.

Home of Barca Fans