Thiago Translantara

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I don't get how Thiago is easily allowed to be blamed for leaving, yet Cesc isn't?
Actually, at least Cesc was only 16 years old and it was really difficult for him to see a bright future here, you know, looking at all those legends playing in the first team. Thiago, though, had only Xavi ahead of him, Cesc was being played in stupid positions, mind you, and Xavi is a damn 33 year old who can't play 2 games a week! And he has more number of stars occupying his spot at his current club!!

I am not saying that what Cesc did was right, I critized him a lot myself... But Thiago has definitely proved to be far more cynical than Cesc!!

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
I don't get how Thiago is easily allowed to be blamed for leaving, yet Cesc isn't?

Even if cesc was to blame aswell (I'll explain later why he isn't) the fact remains that thiago has left while cesc is still here, as a Barca fan you should support your own player over a player who has left you for a champions league rival. There is no reason for the thiago vs cesc agenda on ether side to exist anymore yet some insist on continuing it.

As for the other part... Thiago is clearly rated by our club and was being groomed as the successor to Xavi. Even if cesc arrived his development was proceeding as planned and it looked as if we had our midfield secured for the future. Thiago was at an older age and on the brink of regular football, before dumping the club.

Cesc on the other hand wasn't rated so highly. He knew that he probably wouldn't get games over the other young talents, who were better than him at the time. Also remember that he was only 16 years old and not exactly on the brink of first team football, he knew his departure wouldn't have hurt the club, as he wouldn't have been a starter for years to come anyway. He saw a unique opportunity fom arsenal that he couldn't refuse, and it was only later that he surpassed the other talents through his development there.

See the differences here? Thiago was our main talent and knew we had groomed him to be our starting midfielder over Xavi, only to dump us at the last minute. Cesc is a total different situation and you can't blame him for it, he wouldn't be where he is today if he hadnt done so.

abual3bed1

Actually, at least Cesc was only 16 years old and it was really difficult for him to see a bright future here, you know, looking at all those legends playing in the first team. Thiago, though, had only Xavi ahead of him, Cesc was being played in stupid positions, mind you, and Xavi is a damn 33 year old who can't play 2 games a week! And he has more number of stars occupying his spot at his current club!!

I am not saying that what Cesc did was right, I critized him a lot myself... But Thiago has definitely proved far more cynical than Cesc!!

+1

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Cesc on the other hand wasn't rated so highly

This line alone confirms this is a revisionist account...Like Thiago who won the player of the tournament for the youth NT, Cesc had just finished doing similarly before being poached...The same player who formed one of the most prolific, dominant & legendary youth teams ever to play for Barcelona

Hamzah

High Definition Member
You're forgetting the fact that cesc was 16 and his departure wouldn't hurt the team while thiago was probably one season away from being a first team regular. Him leaving at the last minute hurts our plans, not the case with cesc.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Even if cesc was to blame aswell (I'll explain later why he isn't) the fact remains that thiago has left while cesc is still here, as a Barca fan you should support your own player over a player who has left you for a champions league rival. There is no reason for the thiago vs cesc agenda on ether side to exist anymore yet some insist on continuing it.

As for the other part... Thiago is clearly rated by our club and was being groomed as the successor to Xavi. Even if cesc arrived his development was proceeding as planned and it looked as if we had our midfield secured for the future. Thiago was at an older age and on the brink of regular football, before dumping the club.

Cesc on the other hand wasn't rated so highly. He knew that he probably wouldn't get games over the other young talents, who were better than him at the time. Also remember that he was only 16 years old and not exactly on the brink of first team football, he knew his departure wouldn't have hurt the club, as he wouldn't have been a starter for years to come anyway. He saw a unique opportunity fom arsenal that he couldn't refuse, and it was only later that he surpassed the other talents through his development there.

See the differences here? Thiago was our main talent and knew we had groomed him to be our starting midfielder over Xavi, only to dump us at the last minute. Cesc is a total different situation and you can't blame him for it, he wouldn't be where he is today if he hadnt done so.

So Cesc is not blamed for leaving for more playing time? I mean he was 16, 6 years younger than Thiago is today. Surely by these standards that means that he could've been far more patient in awaiting his chance. You can't build the image that Cesc wasn't rated at all and Thiago was treated like a gem. Tito clearly preferred Xavi and Cesc to Thiago most of the time and Thiago left to work with Pep, a coach that he truly trusted and wanted to develop under. If the club really did care so much about losing him then they could've tried to stop it or actually stop the clause from being activated in the first place. He's making a decision for his career in a path that he feels is right for him. Frankly, I don't blame him for that. Going to Bayern under Pep is a huge chance for him to evolve and develop rather than be overlooked at Barca. Even if he doesn't get more playing time at Bayern, I can guarantee he'll feel much more comfortable working under Pep and learn a lot. It's favoritism to say that Cesc was great for what he did and Thiago is horrible. I'm not bashing Cesc, I'm just saying that Thiago is no more at blame for his move than Cesc is.

Thiago probably didn't just leave because of playing time. It's stupid to assume that he overlooked Xavi's age and the fact that he'd soon be a starter and just blindly forced a quick move to get away from the club for playing a few less games. He was unhappy at Barca because he didn't like the system under Tito, more importantly he completely idolized Guardiola and loved playing under him. That's why he was so hesitant about the United move too, because he was waiting to see if there was another option in Bayern. It's clear they had a big student-mentor bond when Pep was at the club, and Thiago wanted that again. Is that so bad? Can you really hate Thiago so much for not pursuing his career the way you'd prefer him to?

big_man

FCBarca, do you think Pep is absolved of blame considering..
-The fact that Cesc was signed under the Pep regime
-The fact that Thiago was complaining about playing time WHILE Pep was Barca manager
-The fact that the release clause was stipulated WHILE Pep was Barca Manager..

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
The same could be said of Pep.

Ehh it's hard to explain. I'm not talking just about playing time. It'd be stupid for either manager to play Thiago over Xavi/Cesc 100% of the time. I'm talking about how much Tito cared about Thiago as opposed to Pep. I'd prefer the coach who inspires me and helps me personally to the coach who doesn't care as much. It's not to say that Tito completely hated and shunned Thiago, but that Pep did care and motivate him a lot more and that's the kind of coach/system he preferred.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
I think it is pointless to try to convince one another here regarding Thiago. There are those of us who dislike him because he left, and there are those of you who like him no matter where he goes. No side is necessarily right or wrong. Let's just leave it at that.

Stric

I wish people would stop making statements about how Thiago was a step away from becoming a starter. He wasn't. It just fits the argument now, that he's gone. At the time when he left, he was miles away from becoming a regular and there were no indications that this situation would change. Now that Tito has stepped down, maybe it would have been different, but no one saw this coming.

Barca didn't lose anyone they were counting on heavily for the near future. They lost someone who was willing to be the fourth choice midfielder and get some minutes here and there until Xavi calls it a day. Cesc was always the first choice to cover for both Xavi's and Iniesta's spot. Sadly, that's the reality. Thiago was too good for this. In a few years, we'll miss him, but not now.

Last edited:

BerkeleyBernie

I wish people would stop making statements about how Thiago was a step away from becoming a starter. He wasn't. It just fits the argument now, that he's gone. At the time when he left, he was miles away from becoming a regular and there were no indications that this situation would change. **Now that Tito has stepped down, maybe it would have been different, but no one saw this coming.**

The public doesn't see what the players see. Thiago may have been very well aware that Tito was unlikely to be healthy for the next season, and that Barça would be dealing with adjusting to a new coach, or with Tito absences. With things so uncertain, perhaps for years to come, it makes his Bayern move look even smarter, as he knows exactly what he will get with Pep.

Bayern with Pep/Thiago/Goetze is going to be much more fun to watch than previously.

Stric

He can be an OK defensive midfielder, but that's not using his potential. If I have grown more certain of anything while watching him this season, it's that he's even more of an attacking Iniesta-type of midfielder than I had thought he was before. Iniesta's role is the perfect one for him, everything else is just compromise. Including playing instead of Xavi at Barca, the role most everyone thought should be his.

Home of Barca Fans