Thiago Translantara

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
the Gamper is a friendly. prestigious? sure. but it's a friendly. it doesn't matter who the opponent is, how a player performs in it is encouraging at best, nothing more than that. it's certainly no indicator of how good a player is, I'd much rather use games against real competitive opponents like "the Racings & Osasunas" that are actually looking to fight for the result to judge that.

and I'm still trying to understand how a player can be considered anything but a project when they can't even motivate themselves to play a sensible game of football against a lesser-ranked opponent. and before you say it, for the level of talent this kid supposedly has (something you & his fanboys seem certain of) age is no excuse. Xavi & Cesc were both consistent at the stage of development he's at. as was Iniesta, even Messi. none of these had any problems motivating themselves to play "the Racings & Osasunas", and if Thiago has the same quality they do... why should he?

look, I'll be the happiest man alive if, over the course of the summer, something clicks in T-Bone's head and he comes back looking every bit the player you swear he is.

but I'm not gonna anoint him Heir Apparent because he's played well in a fucking friendly.

that said, I should add that I'm very much in favour of giving Thiago chances. I just don't want him thrust into the role of 3rd/4th CM. I'd much rather he be 5th choice and be eased in, as Iniesta was. Xavi's decline should sync up very nicely with his ascendancy, and he'll hopefully be ascending into an already stable midfield unit headed by the world-class talents of Iniesta & Cesc.

jamrock

at 20 messi,iniesta and xavi were already in the first team and had a fair few games under their belt to be honest, so its not a real fair comparison, as it relates to performing against the lowers teams, was never really mad against them either, had a pretty good games against almeria if i remember correctly.

the kid has the talent to be 4th choice midfielder for sure though, no doubt about that what so ever.

he is not has good has cesc, may never be, but he may also be a better player in the future.

he needs to have patience, which in fairness he has when compared to cesc, but he also needs to be given the chance to prove himself, or we could be having a next cesc situation in a next couple of years.

USWAY

at 20 messi,iniesta and xavi were already in the first team and had a fair few games under their belt to be honest, so its not a real fair comparison, as it relates to performing against the lowers teams, was never really mad against them either, had a pretty good games against almeria if i remember correctly.

the kid has the talent to be 4th choice midfielder for sure though, no doubt about that what so ever.

he is not has good has cesc, may never be, but he may also be a better player in the future.

he needs to have patience, which in fairness he has when compared to cesc, but he also needs to be given the chance to prove himself, or we could be having a next cesc situation in a next couple of years.

Well put.

mittchan82

Thiago needs to have more chance to play. Pep needs to give him more time. He has potential but that will be all if he don't get the chance to show what he's got on the field.
Next season I'd like to see Pep give Thiago more time on the field, at least against weaker clubs.

Barcafan 2304

that said, I should add that I'm very much in favour of giving Thiago chances. I just don't want him thrust into the role of 3rd/4th CM. I'd much rather he be 5th choice and be eased in, as Iniesta was. Xavi's decline should sync up very nicely with his ascendancy, and he'll hopefully be ascending into an already stable midfield unit headed by the world-class talents of Iniesta & Cesc.

This

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper

I didn't say age for that reason, I said development.

when all those players broke into their teams, they showed a consistency missing in young Thiago.

that's no knock on him, Messi & Xaviesta are all-time greats, I'm just sayin' let's not be so quick to put him in that bracket.

dude, he has the talent to be 1st choice, I'm not questioning his talent. it's his mentality and ability to play up to that talent which makes me wonder.

in fairness to Cesc, this is a totally different Barcelona to the one that he and Piqué left (although from what I hear, Piqué was kinda nudged out) and I'd be surprised if Thiago didn't have any patience with us. but are you forgetting his contract renewals where his agent demanded that he be in the first-team squad next season, or he wouldn't sign the deal? doesn't sound like patience to me.

anyway, I think we all want Thiago to be a success. I just don't want him thrown into a regular role just yet. I prefer him to spend a year as 5th choice. he'll see hopefully see plenty of action coming off the bench/starting in the Copa. I have faith he'll come through, but I'm sceptical it will be quick enough to the extent that we don't need Cesc.

jamrock

Messi and iniesta show no form of consistency when the broke in the team, they started showing consistency when they got consistent games.

i can't remember the amount of time i got frustrated with them both there performances in their first year in the team.

he doesn't only have the talent, but he also has the ability and motivation.

the best thing to do is probably sell keita and buy cesc to replace him, moving thiago up to the 4th choice, but i'm a big fan iof keita has well.

it was a different barca, but he left none the less because he felt he was ready to get in the first team at 16/17, thiago is here at 20 giving his best to make the team.

their is something to be said for loyalty.

Last edited:

Chygrinskiy21

Actually, you can interpret it the other way around. If it were a transitional team we were talking about, there would be more chances for players to break through, whereas if it's one of the best teams in history the chance is a lot slimmer. I guess every player has his own reasons, but at least, to cite a recent example, Nolito would probably have had many more chances at the wing if it had been the Barcelona of the late 90s or early 00s, with an inconsistent and injury prone Overmars, or later on, a supremely unreliable Quaresma (to recall high profile examples). By the same logic, Fabregas would have had more chances had he stuck through as Iniesta was no more than an emerging promise, Xavi was still being questioned by the media, and Riquelme was... well... long story - whether or not it had to do with him being misused, played out of position, or having trouble adapting, the point still stands. Cesc had more reasons to stay given the apparent opportunity, but he decided to jump an apparently sinking ship.
Now, Thiago has the daunting challenge of being the substitute of Xavi, now recognized for his unique ability and even called the best midfielder ever, and Iniesta, also rated very highly. Yet, whether out of confidence or loyalty, he has so far decided to stay. It has far more merit than Cesc's departure.
There are valid arguments both in favor and against the purchase of Cesc, but either way, Thiago's future in the team should have nothing to do with it.

Barcafan 2304

Already quoted it but Meta has hit the nail on the napper. Thiago will be given chances but ease him into things and not heap pressure on him

jamrock

Actually, you can interpret it the other way around. If it were a transitional team we were talking about, there would be more chances for players to break through, whereas if it's one of the best teams in history the chance is a lot slimmer. I guess every player has his own reasons, but at least, to cite a recent example, Nolito would probably have had many more chances at the wing if it had been the Barcelona of the late 90s or early 00s, with an inconsistent and injury prone Overmars, or later on, a supremely unreliable Quaresma (to recall high profile examples). By the same logic, Fabregas would have had more chances had he stuck through as Iniesta was no more than an emerging promise, Xavi was still being questioned by the media, and Riquelme was... well... long story - whether or not it had to do with him being misused, played out of position, or having trouble adapting, the point still stands. Cesc had more reasons to stay given the apparent opportunity, but he decided to jump an apparently sinking ship.
Now, Thiago has the daunting challenge of being the substitute of Xavi, now recognized for his unique ability and even called the best midfielder ever, and Iniesta, also rated very highly. Yet, whether out of confidence or loyalty, he has so far decided to stay. It has far more merit than Cesc's departure.
There are valid arguments both in favor and against the purchase of Cesc, but either way, Thiago's future in the team should have nothing to do with it.

+1

no one is saying he should be a first team regular, playing has much minutes has even a keita. but the likes of cesc(not quantitatively, but Qualitatively) should not be taking a minute of playing time away from him

iookram

Totally spot on :thumbsup2:

Elite-BkD

This is just plainly not a kid who needs to be 'eased into things' more. Don't see how in the world anyone can not see that. His mentality is something that will need some adjusting, but he's not nervy & scared at all, unable to live up to the hype or something, he's fucking BORED. This isn't Bojan, he's already an amazing player who can perform right now and he's bursting at the seams with the hunger to prove it. He needs to be able to show it week in & week out for the season, not once in a blue moon because that hunger isn't getting sated with 5 appearances per season, and trying is what makes him look a little reckless & whatnot.
I'd like to see him used to give Xavi A LOT of well needed rest next season and really get a chance to show what's up.

Home of Barca Fans