Thiago Translantara

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Well said. Does Bilbao still admit only Basque players these days? Wow, what an obsolete policy that limits the growth of their club.

It's a matter of tradition at Athletic club. In a world where players are mercenaries and money swirls around to change the game entirely, I find it refreshing to support a team with such a strong cultural identity. I agree it is limiting as it burdens us with the "small local club" title but I still applaud it since it gives the club a sense of pride. We are widening the parameters of player eligibility now as guys like Laporte (French Basque) or Amorebieta (Venezuelan with Basque heritage) are accepted but I dunno if the policy will ever be lifted.

Stric

Well said. Does Bilbao still admit only Basque players these days? Wow, what an obsolete policy that limits the growth of their club.

Not everyone is interested in "growth" and profit and success above all. The policy makes them unique and respected by many. I see no reason to criticize it or think of it as discriminatory. Football clubs have every right to choose which players they want and which they don't, and I'm pretty sure they can make that decision on the basis of whatever they feel is relevant. I, for one, despise the idea of national borders and such, but in club football, I respect when clubs make an effort to keep their squads home-based. There's nothing racist or nationalist about it, this is not politics, it's club sports.

It's a matter of tradition at Athletic club. In a world where players are mercenaries and money swirls around to change the game entirely, I find it refreshing to support a team with such a strong cultural identity. I agree it is limiting as it burdens us with the "small local club" title but I still applaud it since it gives the club a sense of pride. We are widening the parameters of player eligibility now as guys like Laporte (French Basque) or Amorebieta (Venezuelan with Basque heritage) are accepted but I dunno if the policy will ever be lifted.

Word.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Don, I know it has been their tradition, however I was thinking by limiting to only ethnic Basque players, (1) they have a much smaller talent pool to select players from and thus limiting the success of their club and (2) rejecting those non-Basque players who might want to play for or identify with the club, if there is any and (3) is it even legal as it might be perceived as discriminatory? I can't imagine any other club in the world imposing a "Non-xxx (white, black, Asian, German, Brazilian, you name it) players need not apply" sign at the front desk.

Just my useless two fens, don't mean to offend.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Not everyone is interested in "growth" and profit and success above all. The policy makes them unique and respected by many. I see no reason to criticize it or think of it as discriminatory. Football clubs have every right to choose which players they want and which they don't, and I'm pretty sure they can make that decision on the basis of whatever they feel is relevant. I, for one, despise the idea of national borders and such, but in club football, I respect when clubs make an effort to keep their squads home-based. There's nothing racist or nationalist about it, this is not politics, it's club sports.

Word.

OK, got it.

hulinat

Word.

+1. Zing

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Don, I know it has been their tradition, however I was thinking by limiting to only ethnic Basque players, (1) they have a much smaller talent pool to select players from and thus limiting the success of their club and (2) rejecting those non-Basque players who might want to play for or identify with the club, if there is any and (3) is it even legal as it might be perceived as discriminatory? I can't imagine any other club in the world imposing a "Non-xxx (white, black, Asian, German, Brazilian, you name it) players need not apply" sign at the front desk.

Just my useless two fens, don't mean to offend.

The smaller talent pool is a widely known factor in why the club is restricted for success, but as a fan I can live with that (especially considering I also support Barcelona :p). The policy isn't there to discriminate or to be xenophobic in anyway, it's not to keep others out but to keep Basques in. The very purpose of the club is to display Basque pride and reflect the Basque identity in a footballing team. The very benchmark ideas of 'Los Leones', passionate and energetic football, and homegrown players is to reflect on Basques as a culture. That's why the traditions are clung to so religiously, that's why the crowd at San Mames is roaring in support of the club, and that is why the team will always be unique.

Athletic as a club are pretty open and welcoming to foreign fans from around the world who like to identify with the club. As for players I don't think there has been a case where a foreign player wants to play for Athletic but they reject him as it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows them that they take the Basque policy to be a core aspect of the club. Can it be construed as rejecting foreigners off of discrimination? I guess, but I doubt in reality that any player sees it that way.

You didn't offend, the Basque policy is a very common and open debate when talking about Athletic and I do see that your interpretation has its logic, I'm just giving you the perspective of a fan.

oggydude

I really do not undertsnad why teams keep neglecting the youth for games that don't even matter. You guys had won the league and still didn't play Thiago instead of Xavi, same situation with Pogba at United, Park, Rafael and a old Scholes was preffered than him for Carling cup games. United and Barca had the heirs to their midfield maestros and they really messed it up. Barca should try and pip away Kroos from Bayern or maybe go in for Pogba rather than Gundogan in my opinion, Gundogan is great but does seem to have a problem with recurrent injuries, and Kroos & Pogba are still quite young in their development, they would easily rid the pain of losing Thiago.

Home of Barca Fans