Thiago Translantara

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Im sure, you don mean that only his influence got Thiago called up

I mean had Thiago gone to Bayern under another coach, it's less likely he would've been called up....It's no secret how much Del Bosque respects Pep and in a WC year to call up a midfielder this close to the end?...Typically, under Del Bosque, it would take an injury or unreal performance to alter his squad and neither of those apply to Thiago's call up

Makes me believe that in addition to everything else Pep promised to Thiago, he also assured him he'd get him called up for the WC which is no small feat considering the circumstances...I didn't see it coming

Yet another punch in the gut over Thiago's mishandled time at the club by this board

Galning

How do all the users feel who were laughing at Thiago after the move because "He would never ever make the World Cup squad" :lol: He's still not there but he's getting closer isn't he?

Maria

I mean had Thiago gone to Bayern under another coach, it's less likely he would've been called up....It's no secret how much Del Bosque respects Pep and in a WC year to call up a midfielder this close to the end?...Typically, under Del Bosque, it would take an injury or unreal performance to alter his squad and neither of those apply to Thiago's call up

Makes me believe that in addition to everything else Pep promised to Thiago, he also assured him he'd get him called up for the WC which is no small feat considering the circumstances...I didn't see it coming

Yet another punch in the gut over Thiago's mishandled time at the club by this board

Yeah, that definitelly sounds like Pep. And if you say that VDB called Thiago only because of Pep(and not because of his performances on the pitch) then you can't blame Rosell because Thiago left.

How do all the users feel who were laughing at Thiago after the move because "He would never ever make the World Cup squad" :lol: He's still not there but he's getting closer isn't he?

Aparently if he will make it it will be only because of Pep's influence on Del Bosque. Like Pique, Pedro or Busquets in the past.

Last edited:

ZenI

Professor Balthazar

Guess people were bitter and didn't want him to succeed. Imo Del Bosque has more experienced MF's to choose from, but I still think he will make the squad.

JamDav1982

Where are the debates about Thiago making the World Cup squad?

So many people arrogantly shot down anyone who said he could make it as 'not understanding Del Bosque'.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Yeah, that definitelly sounds like Pep. And if you say that VDB called Thiago only because of Pep(and not because of his performances on the pitch) then you can't blame Rosell because Thiago left.

Yeah except I didn't say only, I merely pointed out the influence of Pep because a player like Thiago who had yet to break into the Senior NT & goes to a German league was always a longshot to get a callup for the WC...Of course, had he stayed and had Tito actually used him more then a lot of this would be moot because Thiago would be a vital squad member while improving his chances for a callup

Pep's influence certainly weighed heavily into his callup but without his performances it would be irrelevant

Maria

Thiago was considered for the EC in 2012 before he got injured(atleast according to VDB) and now he plays regularly for one of the best teams in the world(again according to VDB) so I don't see why is there a problem in which league he plays(especially when we see that Koke and Azpilicueta were called up).
And my problem was with this quote:

How could Pep assure Thiago that he will get him called up?

Galning

JamDav1982]Where are the debates about Thiago making the World Cup squad?

I could easily find 100 more.

I really don't get all this WC talk. I love Thiago and obviously rate him very highly but does he seriously think he has a chance of playing at WC 2014?! If he had chosen Brazil then yeah but I'm afraid the most he can hope for with Spain at the moment is a place in the squad and maybe a handful of minutes off the bench and I doubt that will even happen unless they suffer a lot of injuries.

Michu has never been called up for La Roja.

Juan Mata had an exceptional season for Chelsea and he still barely gets any minutes. If it was truly Mazinho's desire to see Thiago shine @ the 2014 World Cup, they would stay and fight for their spot in Barcelona and try to outplay Cesc every chance they get. With that said, Cesc is a beast of a midfielder.

I think Del Bosque has Cazorla next in line after Xavi and I don't see his play dropping off anytime soon. He's paid his dues on La Roja's bench to be the next in line.

He goes to Man Utd, he improves his chances of going to the World Cup, simple as that. Key word is improve.

He also gets more game time and importantly, more game time in bigger matches.

And he gets more wages.

Perfectly natural for him to think of leaving. "Barca is not a charity" and neither is Thiago a beggar.

:beer2:

Thiago's a different case from Mata. While Mata is massively impressive at Chelsea, he doesn't fit the tiki-taka possession style of play that Spain play. Thiago on the other hand excels at it, I can bet he'd even bring a spark of that into United's buildup play. One really impressive season coupled with decline/injury in other squad members could lead to a WC callup.

R

reaper

Yeah except I didn't say only, I merely pointed out the influence of Pep because a player like Thiago who had yet to break into the Senior NT & goes to a German league was always a longshot to get a callup for the WC...Of course, had he stayed and had Tito actually used him more then a lot of this would be moot because Thiago would be a vital squad member while improving his chances for a callup

Pep's influence certainly weighed heavily into his callup but without his performances it would be irrelevant

100% correct. This is how football works.

Home of Barca Fans