SiempreBlaugrana
Alternatively you could do:

--------Casillas--------
Dave-Ramos-Pique-Alba
--Busquets--Martinez--
---------Koke----------
Pedro---Costa---Iniesta

barcanuck

What makes Xabi good in this Spain system midfield of Busi - Xavi - Iniesta is that he can by pass all our short passing by making long bomb passes. Otherwise it turns into a tiki taka fest waiting for a turn over. Xabi 50 yard passes to the forwards bypassing the need to go through Xavi and Busi.

Superstar85

Alternatively you could do:

--------Casillas--------
Dave-Ramos-Pique-Alba
--Busquets--Martinez--
---------Koke----------
Pedro---Costa---Iniesta

IMO This team right here will be very solid defensively but not offensively, and it lacks creativity apart from Iniesta. And Pedro over Silva really??? especially this time when it seems like Spain wil actually play with a real striker up front??? Nah... Silva over Pedro any day.

IMO they should play something like this:

---Busquets---Koke----
-Silva----Cesc---Iniesta-
------Costa/Llorente------------

It has enough creativity, and they'll be more direct while still being able to play their possession game. And they'll still be solid defensively.
It should be Thiago in place of Koke there but well...

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Actually, considering that we do have strikers this time, unlike at the Euros, we could go with the ever versatile 4-2-3-1.

But Koke has done far more to deserve a place in the starting lineup than Thiago this year.

footyfan

Calma, calma
Casillas
Azpi/Carvajal/Juanfran-Ramos-Pique-Alba
----Busquets---Alonso-----------
--------Xavi------------------
-------------------Iniesta----------
---Pedro-------------------------
-----------Costa---------------

Silva might play instead of Pedro depending on the opponent, maybe even Cesc.

Fuck Spain and their options, goddamn they have like 3 good players for each position.

footyfan

Calma, calma
I'm not saying that Koke should replace Alonso flat out, I agree that they are two completely different players. I'm just saying that a reasonable evolution would be to have Koke partner Xavi in midfield: energy and defensive cover + controlled buildup, good complements. International football is much more pragmatic so keeping clean sheets is very important, but there's a point at which it becomes hindrance.

Xavi playing so conservatively these days and Alonso losing mobility even more means that Spain's midfield would have a lethargic tempo and not much creativity.

The formula has to evolve, times are changing. Playing such possession-dominant football worked when there was tempo and attacking livelihood (as seen in the video), not anymore though. Koke is a buildup player and has all the qualities for it (Positional intelligence, passing intelligence, movement, technical ability). He's shown it in various Atletico games but for a more direct translation, in the u21 Euros with Spain alongside Isco and Thiago.

------Casillas
Azpi-Ramos-Pique-Alba
------Busquets
----Xavi----Koke
Pedro--Costa---Iniesta

You don't need to simply aim to hoard possession and slow down play with Alonso and the double pivot if other facets of defensive play work out. Costa and Pedro provide the workrate up top, Koke and Busquets in midfield, and the defense is infinitely improved with Azpi and an enhanced Alba. Sure it doesn't pragmatically suffocate opposition teams as well as the double pivot system does, but it adds to the overall play greatly in attack (which is important, no matter what) and does give a solid defensive system. You've got Xavi pulling the strings, Koke providing engine, Busquets providing backbone, Iniesta's creativity, Costa's strength, and Pedro's effective goalscoring for Spain. Not to mention that the Costa/Koke duo works VERY well together in Atletico and would have good chemistry in the NT as well.

It's probably too risky to experiment with in the WC itself, but as a transition into the next generation it's the most effective use of the squad's talent. We no longer need to disguise defensive problems with the better players we now have, so why not build on that to make a better attacking force too?

You said so yourself, there is no way this thing will happen at this World Cup. Alonso won't be in the starting lineup in Euro 2016 or WC 2018, so that's another discussion entirely. Also, Del Bosque is leaving I think after this World Cup, and with him gone a new era will start. I think Xavi will also retire from international football soon.

Superstar85

You said so yourself, there is no way this thing will happen at this World Cup. Alonso won't be in the starting lineup in Euro 2016 or WC 2018, so that's another discussion entirely. Also, Del Bosque is leaving I think after this World Cup, and with him gone a new era will start. I think Xavi will also retire from international football soon.

No Vdb will still be the Spanish coach for 2 more years till the EC2016

rixxer

Casillas
Azpi/Carvajal/Juanfran-Ramos-Pique-Alba
----Busquets---Alonso-----------
--------Xavi------------------
-------------------Iniesta----------
---Pedro-------------------------
-----------Costa---------------

Silva might play instead of Pedro depending on the opponent, maybe even Cesc.

Fuck Spain and their options, goddamn they have like 3 good players for each position.

Am I the only one who thinks that Silva could be a perfect replacement to Xavi in metronome role? Yeah, he does not play that role that much in city, but still... all the skills and reading of the game is there. After Thiago left I thought that Silva would be the best successor of ageing Xavi in Barca, but it would need a miracle to pull him out of City's jaws of money. But in thoery...in the national team that is perfectly doable.
Slight OT, but still.

Home of Barca Fans