Thiago Translantara

Yannik

He played the full match at Camp Nou. But seeing as he was completely anonymous on that one, I don't hold it against you in case you've already forgot. :pep:

They lost 3-0 didnt they? The whole team was a let down, are you blaming the 21-year old rotational midfielder Thiago out of all, for not tearing Bayern a new one on his own in a 1vs11 showdown? Barca as a whole lost 4-0 in the first match, they werent even trying in the 2nd leg then. The Conditions didnt exactly make it the right stage to shine for a young talent like Thiago.

Last edited:

Yannik

Huh? Barca won that match 3-0.

thought you'd be talking about the one in 2013.
But point stays though, if you have a whole team down, than picking out single players for not running a one-man-show is certainly not the way to go. If appplying such an argument would ever work, it would be shitting on the quality of WAY to many players.

Last edited:

DrPepper

thought you'd be talking about the one in 2013.
But point stays though, if you have a whole team down, than picking out single players for not running a one-man-show is certainly not the way to go. If appplying such an argument would ever work, it would be shitting on the quality of WAY to many players.

How was the team 'down'? Bayern were in good form and despite the absence of Robben they fielded a very competitive team. They had Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Müller, Lewandowski, Götze etc. all playing. Your post comes across as if Bayern already lost the tie before the first match even begun :lol:

Yannik

How was the team 'down'? Bayern were in good form and despite the absence of Robben they fielded a very competitive team. They had Alonso, Schweinsteiger, Müller, Lewandowski, Götze etc. all playing. Your post comes across as if Bayern already lost the tie before the first match even begun :lol:

The whole team was down means the whole team was bad. Tactics were bad, collective were bad.
But you're picking out single ones here, as if it was their fault that they lost. That's not how it works.
Thiago cant own top teams on his own when his team gets absolutely thrown under the bus, thats why he's a failure - your point summed up.

Last edited:

Galning

A fully fit Thiago is awesome, but a fully fit Gundogan is the better player IMO. Guy held his own against the best teams before that unfortunate back injury and is getting back to that level this season.

Exactly. Calling him better is one thing, calling him much better is just lel.

DrPepper

The whole team was down means the whole team was bad. Tactics were bad, collective were bad.
But you're picking out single ones here, as if it was their fault that they lost. That's not how it works.
Thiago cant own top teams on his own when his team gets absolutely thrown under the bus, thats why he's a failure - your point summed up.

Where did I say that he alone was responsible for his team's performances? My point still stands. I have yet to see him dominate against truly world class opposition. Couldn't care less about excuses. He plays for Bayern and played for Barca ffs. Deal with it. :coffee:

Yannik

Where did I say that he alone was responsible for his team's performances? My point still stands. I have yet to see him dominate against truly world class opposition. Couldn't care less about excuses. He plays for Bayern and played for Barca ffs. Deal with it. :coffee:

If you dont count Arsenal as such, then there are not more than 2 or 3 teams that really match your "truly world class" criteria's. And it just happens that such an opportunity is rather rare, he meets such a team once in 2 years or so, although he didnt do too bad in the 2nd leg then, did he? If the team as a whole disappoints in those games, Thiago isnt gonna put up a solo miracles. All in all he does amazing in the games that he can have an influence in, proved that multiple times against EPL oppositions. If Bayern meets Barca or Madrid the next time, and it comes to an even game, then Thiago will surely show his class and eventually make a difference, as he did many times before. Saying that he hasnt been good in the handful of games he had against such opposition, is a really weak point. It would mean more for a player like Ibrahimovic, who ahs played countless big games, and failed to show up in 80% of them. But not against someone who has had 3-4 real games there, which have never really been even encounters anyway. That's not enough to base an opinion like "he doesnt show up in them".

Last edited:

serghei

To be one of the best in the world you need to show it against the best. And honestly, you don't have many opportunities to do that. The best teams meet once, maybe twice in a year in Europe. The fact that you have very little time to make an impact against these great teams is not an excuse. It's the whole point actually. If you're one of the best midfielders in the world, as advertised, show it when it counts most.

khaled_a_d

He played the full match at Camp Nou. But seeing as he was completely anonymous on that one, I don't hold it against you in case you've already forgot. :pep:

By Camp Nou return ,do you mean return leg vs Bayern in 2013 ,or last season with Bayern in the return leg?
If it is the 1st then I am right .he has substituted on in 64 minutes.if you mean the second (which mean I misunderstood that part in your post) you are right .but he was playing after 2 seasons of injury

Yannik

To be one of the best in the world you need to show it against the best. And honestly, you don't have many opportunities to do that. The best teams meet once, maybe twice in a year in Europe. The fact that you have very little time to make an impact against these great teams is not an excuse. It's the whole point actually. If you're one of the best midfielders in the world, as advertised, show it when it counts most.

He is 24, before 22 or so he wasnt even a regular starter for Barca, he then moved to Bayern, showed his class but suffered some injuries, came back and had to somehow quickly adapt to feature in some immense matches vs monster opponents. There is a huge difference between Thiago then, and Thiago now. It is not an excuse, its simply an explanation to why that is. He'll be given more opportunitys where it counts, and I'm sure that he's showing his class then. But so far, the few number and the circumstances of the matches that he played, are neither predicitng a good, nor a bad trend. They are simply not conclusive enough.

Home of Barca Fans