Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Y

Youngie

Inigo Martinez is the safe option for CB. Young, cheap, Spanish and is like another Puyol....I'd love that signing.

Daisymorr

Inigo Martinez is the safe option for CB. Young, cheap, Spanish and is like another Puyol....I'd love that signing.

Only problem is he is very small for cb, we need a big powerful guy to help us stop conceding at set pieces.. That's a major issue, genuine height.
I like him a lot but still doesn't fix most of the defensive problems.

sabby

Only problem is he is very small for cb, we need a big powerful guy to help us stop conceding at set pieces.. That's a major issue, genuine height.
I like him a lot but still doesn't fix most of the defensive problems.

Google shows his height is 1.81m (5'11.5") which is a tad more than Puyol's (1.79m)

Y

Youngie

Daisymorr: Inigo is extremely strong in the air (like Puyol - powerful) despite being only 5' 11".

Y

Youngie

A few Inigo Martinez stats:

80 % successful tackle rating !!!! {more than any Barça CB}

60-ish % percent success in aerial battles !

80+% passing this season !

Daisymorr

A few Inigo Martinez stats:

80 % successful tackle rating !!!! {more than any Barça CB}

60-ish % percent success in aerial battles !

80+% passing this season !

All sounds good, if he was as strong and brave as Puyol then he gets my vote too.. I'm just afraid of another small centre back. Teams target corners and set pieces against barca because they could have 5- players to head the ball, barca could have 1 or 2..I know it's too late know and was possibly to expensive last season but javi martinez would have been great

Irish_Cules

I think Inigo Martinez is the most likely option at the moment, given his style, La Liga experience and relatively cheap price. I have liked what I have seen of him but he is a risk since he isn't proven at the very top level (Champions League etc). Then again, with somebody like Hummels there is the risk of signing someone who wouldn't compliment Pique and for a very high price (30-35 million).

Y

Youngie

I'm just afraid of another small centre back.

Well Pique is 6' 3" so (in theory) you'd think he'd be able to jump & deal with corners etc. But he's just weak as water...

That to me is just as big an issue (Pique being a "softy").

I think Inigo Martinez is the most likely option at the moment, given his style, La Liga experience and relatively cheap price. I have liked what I have seen of him but he is a risk since he isn't proven at the very top level (Champions League etc).

Good point although he'd be able to learn from the best.

Daisymorr

Well Pique is 6' 3" so (in theory) you'd think he'd be able to jump & deal with corners etc. But he's just weak as water...

Ya very true, piqué is no where near aggressive enough. Who do you think will the back four be in the Bayern first leg?
I've concerns about Ribery on alves.. Alves
has been inconstant this season.

loozy

Suarez has so much fight in him, he would be agreat signing but the likes of city and Chelsea would bump his price up. I think Liverpool wouldn't sell for less than 45mil..

Unless Suarez wants to leave, Liverpool will try and hang on to him.

khaled_a_d

Just to get things into perspective regarding terStegen:

Current ranking of goalkeepers according to German magazine Kicker who does the most objective ratings:

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/...ga/2012-13/topspieler-der-saison-torwart.html

1 Trapp, Kevin
Eintracht Frankfurt
Torwart 26 26 2,40

2 Adler, René
Hamburger SV
28 28 2,68

3 Benaglio, Diego
VfL Wolfsburg
29 29 2,83

4 Weidenfeller, Roman
Borussia Dortmund
27 27 2,83

5 Giefer, Fabian
Fortuna Düsseldorf
29 29 2,84

6 Baumann, Oliver
SC Freiburg
29 29 2,91

7 Neuer, Manuel
Bayern München
27 27 2,93

8 Hildebrand, Timo
FC Schalke 04
16 16 2,94

9 Schäfer, Raphael
1. FC Nürnberg
26 26 2,94

10 Leno, Bernd
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
27 27 2,94

11 Ulreich, Sven
VfB Stuttgart
29 29 3,00

12 ter Stegen, Marc-André
Borussia M'gladbach
29 29 3,02

13 Zieler, Ron-Robert
Hannover 96
29 29 3,10

14 Mielitz, Sebastian
Werder Bremen
29 29 3,14

15 Wetklo, Christian
1. FSV Mainz 05
27 27 3,31

16 Amsif, Mohamed
FC Augsburg
Torwart 17 17 3,35

Grün, Max
SpVgg Greuther Fürth
17 17 3,35

My point of posting this? Well, there are better goalies than him, seriously. One good season does not make a good keeper and he has proven to flounder when playing at a high level (EL-games are proof of that).

I don't get that rating ,I understand the first 2 numbers are their game and the games they rated them what is the last number ?
And are they putting Neuer as the 7th best GK in Germany?
And who do you prefer over him? Guaita?

Very good options people are not mentioning: De Gea,Subotic and Reus.
Every body mentioned De Gea ,but he isn't an option any more as he Manu will keep him , he was gonna be our top priority if he was available

Has he even been linked to move to the team? I've only seen him being linked to us only when they mention 4 or 5 players cb list for us ,not sure if we are really that interested in him tbh even with the obsessions about him here

loozy

I don't get that rating ,I understand the first 2 numbers are their game and the games they rated them what is the last number ?
And are they putting Neuer as the 7th best GK in Germany?
And who do you prefer over him? Guaita?

Sorry, I should've explained it. The last number is the average rating, it works like a grade, the lower the rating, the better you are.

Neuer does not have a lot to do during a match due to the solid organisation of Bayern's defense but when he has to make a save, he is not outstanding, but acrtually quite average, as noticed during the matches of the German NT where he is challenged on a routine basis and tends to make mistakes more often than with Bayern. Trapp for example has a good defense in front of him but not solid over all and thus has to make more saves, showing more of his quality than Neuer.
Neuer does not get a lot of shots on goal but it is often the case that when he does, the ball gets in; take Arsenal for example: I think they were in front of goal twice during the match and both times, Neuer conceded what were kind of unneccessary goals. Also, he can be caught out at set pieces as he does not have good penalty-box behaviour and likes to fly around like a headless chicken :D

ter-Stegen is part of a leaky defense this season and has shown to be not up to par to international standards this season, or repeat his stand-out season of last year, thus is why his rating is much lower. The defense was not that much different from last year but he has shown that he does not deal well when playing in more than one competition.

I'd prefer Valdes of ter Stegen but that is not an option ;) Honestly, I cannot see ter Stegen work at Barca as I have stated before as I am not convinced that he is of the right material when it comes to goalie qualities. I'd rather have someone like Trapp or Leno, actually, who had an outstanding season with Leverkusen last year and has since dropped in the ratings, same as ter Stegen *seems he has adapted a bit too well to Leverkusen :p*
Trapp, however, while still quite young, has proven himself to be a capable keeper and this season is his best season after a lot of good ones.

I cannot judge Guaita as I haven't see him play.

Last edited:

loozy

Abidal is not fit to play 90 minutes nor withstand the onslaught that Bayern would bring. He would be an even greater weakness than Bartra.

Home of Barca Fans