Transfers and Rumours - old thread

abual3bed1

SPORT: Ter Stegen has no buyout clause in his contract that expires in 2015. Transfermarket website rates him at 10m euros, although it's expected to be higher when Barca start negotiating for the player.

abual3bed1

barcastuff ‏@barcastuff 22s
Santos forward Neymar (21) has told teammates that he will leave the Brazilian club after the Confederations Cup in June. [mundo deportivo]

oz187

I read that it was £50 million PLUS money from sales ( Villa / Pedro /Sanchez -hopefully) .... AND also understand that we can 'borrow' from next years transfer fund if we needed to .

The transfer budget is also an arbritary number, they can also increase or decrease it as they see fit. Last season the budget I think was 45M and they ended up spending 33M. The previous season they spent was 55M.

If Barcelona cannot sign PSG centre back Thiago Silva (29), Vilanova doesn't rule out to not sign any centre back this summer. [el9]
If they give Abidal a new contract they could maybe get away with this, but if they are relying on Barta as fourth choice they are asking for trouble.

Last edited:

Birdy

Alves-Pique-Puyol/Mascherano-Alba is all we really need. Problem this season is that midfielders and attackers don't press like they used to so the back 4 gets exposed too often. A kick up their backsides would solve a lot of problems. But that's Tito's problem really as players who are here have enough quality.

Sign Inigo from Sociedad as another backup option and we are set.

Bojan is absolutely spot on.. I dont get all the center back discussion.
It seems to come from many cules that do not understand the philosophy Pep built, even after 4 years.
Team has not been working properly in defending as a whole lately..
Mascherano has proved to be the second best pairing with Pique, after the Puyol-Pique, especially now puyol is getting slower every year..
(Remember how bad Sergio-Pique was as a partnership before Pep employed Mascherano there?)

If we get Abidal renewed and use him for LB as a sub of alba and to cover in CB, we are done there. Inigo is a choice also in the case Bartra is not progressing as he should..
But a big name like Silva, or Hummels there will make things very bad and complicated..
I am absolutely with Tito. Besides he has proved to e a genious in such stuff. There are other qualities he lacks in psychology and leadership..

KluivertsBoots

Marquinho's or Martinez and we're set imo.

Barca needs a reliable defender who can deal with the high ball (both on set pieces and long passes). Marquinhos is an unbelievable talent on the ground, and I'd certainly welcome his signing next to someone more experienced.

I think he'd be a great target for next summer provided a bidding frenzy doesn't start this year.

Barcelona needs a well-seasoned, reliable player with serious aerial skills and mental sharpness. There aren't many who fit this bill with Barca quality.

KluivertsBoots

SPORT: Ter Stegen has no buyout clause in his contract that expires in 2015. Transfermarket website rates him at 10m euros, although it's expected to be higher when Barca start negotiating for the player.

I really hope he is the one Barca go for. Fantastic talent.

Valdes out now. You'd be asking for crappy team chemistry if he stays around. The club would be very stupid to keep him at this point. He clearly wants out.

Duke

Bojan is absolutely spot on.. I dont get all the center back discussion.
It seems to come from many cules that do not understand the philosophy Pep built, even after 4 years.
Team has not been working properly in defending as a whole lately..
Mascherano has proved to be the second best pairing with Pique, after the Puyol-Pique, especially now puyol is getting slower every year..
(Remember how bad Sergio-Pique was as a partnership before Pep employed Mascherano there?)

If we get Abidal renewed and use him for LB as a sub of alba and to cover in CB, we are done there. Inigo is a choice also in the case Bartra is not progressing as he should..
But a big name like Silva, or Hummels there will make things very bad and complicated..
I am absolutely with Tito. Besides he has proved to e a genious in such stuff. There are other qualities he lacks in psychology and leadership..

Puyol is aging and we missed him a lot the past two seasons plus he is slowing down,he used to shut Ronaldo completely but not anymore (watch recent classicos). Pique is in a comfort zone and basically have no competition, his quality dropped the past two season. Masch is not a natural CB and at times he is very shaky.

Do you think we can compete with Bayern given the lineups you proposed?

Barca8

If Tito actually said he already has CBs in the Hummels mold (Pique & Bartra) then he's right as these 3 are the same style of defender. They like to play with the ball at their feet, bring the ball out from the back, initiate attacks and use positioning over grit. Muniesa looked very promising but I haven't seen how he's recovered after his injury. Barca needs Puyol's replacement and his backup.

I hope Sandy isn't imposing Hummels onto Tito just because he is a name player. Subotic, Juan, Martinez & Marquinhos all have the potential to become name players.

Doobs

The Messiah
Even though there seems to be a dispute, I think the club could settle on Hummels in the end. Unless of course we manage to get Silva.

What's weird though is that we're only linked to these 2 and Marquinhos. Are there really no other options?

jklz

We have been linked with a bunch:
Kompany, Thiago Silva, Hummels, Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Agger, Iñigo, Marquinhos, Subotic and even Alderweireld.

I guess only Thiago, Hummels and Marquinhos are considered good enough or talented enough.

Home of Barca Fans