Transfers and Rumours - old thread

rafals

To be honest, I would have done the same. JdS is not the next Messi and everyone is aware of that by now. In his situation, I don't think there's anything wrong with not being more ambitious than he is. The guy has been living in Barcelona for over 10 years, his home is here, his family and friends are here, and since (IMHO) he doesn't have the potential to be the next big star, I can imagine that he'd rather stay and settle for what he's got than leave to another city/country just to get more playing time. Having said that, the club should have kept him the B team. Promoting him fully to the first team made no sense, since there's no need or opportunities for him there. (Yet another bad decision by Tito.) If he was still in the B team, he'd get playing time, he'd be among the best players, and he'd still get to hang out with his friends.

I agree, that would be a more productive season for him. And it just pisses me off that we promote some players to the first team and they are just a bunch of bench warmers for most of the time. And then, Tito or others keep saying that we have a complete squad. And I can't really see how it is complete if we keep playing with almost the same squad for the last few games. For example, the last game would be a good time to give Xavi a well earned rest and let Thiago play since he was the only player who gave a good performance against Bayern, who was playing really well everytime he had a chance, who would take responsibility and be a leader in the midfield (I remember those games when he was pretty much a leader while Iniesta and Cesc were on the pitch).

khaled_a_d

Okay so we sell Valdes now, then what? Any GK that we will go after will easily be in the 25-30 mil range bc a lot of teams besides us are looking for GKs as well (Arsenal, Monaco etc) which bumps up the price.

There is no GK out there in the market right now even close to that range as the only GKs realistically that much are Casillas, Buffon or Neuer.

This is why we need to keep Valdes this last season as 10 or even 15 won't do us that much good in the long haul. Since most of our budget for transfers will be spent through Neymar and our defensive purchases, we won't have that much left to play with.

It would be wiser and more frugal to wait until next season as there will surely be more options for us to pick from and we will have more money to spend on the right GK, not a knee jerk purchase. That way we can really scout GKs like Courtois (who was brilliant against Madrid) and Ter and others to make the best buy possible.

VV is one of the highest paid GK in the world with Casillas/Cech/Buffon with around 7M per year , the next GK would probably get around 3M if he is one of the younger GKs (like Ter Stegan)
So say VV sold for 12M ,with 4M saved from his wages ,that is 16M ,which is pretty damn high for GK prices ,remember only 5 GKs was sold with more than 16M http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_(association_football)#Highest_fees

XaviMessiGirl

Gazzetta - Barca first choice for CB is Thiago Silva, but negotiating with PSG won't be easy. If it doesn't work out then second choices are Marquinhos and Kompany.

spark

To be honest, I would have done the same. JdS is not the next Messi and everyone is aware of that by now. In his situation, I don't think there's anything wrong with not being more ambitious than he is. The guy has been living in Barcelona for over 10 years, his home is here, his family and friends are here, and since (IMHO) he doesn't have the potential to be the next big star, I can imagine that he'd rather stay and settle for what he's got than leave to another city/country just to get more playing time. Having said that, the club should have kept him the B team. Promoting him fully to the first team made no sense, since there's no need or opportunities for him there. (Yet another bad decision by Tito.) If he was still in the B team, he'd get playing time, he'd be among the best players, and he'd still get to hang out with his friends.

Tito did not promote him. These guys have it written in their contract that they have to be promoted by X date. Muniesa for example only re-registered with the B team again because he was injured . Unless you think this is England and Tito is Wenger handling player contracts.

Last edited:

Stric

Tito did not promote him. These guys have it written in their contract that they have to be promoted by X date. Muniesa for example only re-registered with the B team again because he was injured . Unless you think this is England and Tito is Wenger handling player contracts.

Oh, my bad then. Originally I didn't even mention Tito in that comment, but in the meantime I read that Tito himself called up JdS to the first team / wanted him to stay, so I added that comment in there. The source site (Fox sports) is temporarily down so I can't link the article.

spark

Jonathan's agent probably have written it himself :p. I think everyone at the club had been advising him to move including older heads like Xavi and co. He rejected a lot of clubs over the summer and winter. Anyway maybe he will stick around and be Thiago's companion like Milito was for Messi.

BorussiaBarcelona

Okay so we sell Valdes now, then what? Any GK that we will go after will easily be in the 25-30 mil range bc a lot of teams besides us are looking for GKs as well (Arsenal, Monaco etc) which bumps up the price.

There is no GK out there in the market right now even close to that range as the only GKs realistically that much are Casillas, Buffon or Neuer.

This is why we need to keep Valdes this last season as 10 or even 15 won't do us that much good in the long haul. Since most of our budget for transfers will be spent through Neymar and our defensive purchases, we won't have that much left to play with.

It would be wiser and more frugal to wait until next season as there will surely be more options for us to pick from and we will have more money to spend on the right GK, not a knee jerk purchase. That way we can really scout GKs like Courtois (who was brilliant against Madrid) and Ter and others to make the best buy possible.

That's a solid idea but it's tough to get guys committing to you knowing that they'll only be the #1 for one season.

Though, if we got that route, I think there might be an option at a place we normally don't look at.

As Mourinhos departure from Real is pretty much a given and with the next guy certainly trying to win over as many fans and players, I highly doubt that any else then Casillas will be in goal for Real.
That would leave Diego Lopez no other choice but the bench and I'm not sure he'd like that.
He's certainly not a worldbeater, but I've watched quite some of his games and he most of the time kept them in games, instead of losing them.

So maybe you could go for him, have him be your #1 for at least one season and be able to buy another guy later on.

i_bleed_blaugrana

VV is one of the highest paid GK in the world with Casillas/Cech/Buffon with around 7M per year , the next GK would probably get around 3M if he is one of the younger GKs (like Ter Stegan)
So say VV sold for 12M ,with 4M saved from his wages ,that is 16M ,which is pretty damn high for GK prices ,remember only 5 GKs was sold with more than 16M http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_(association_football)#Highest_fees

Your missing the point, we only have 50 mil to spend this summer unless rumors of a "Neymar fund" that we stashed last year is what we tap into. Realistically we don't have that and with at least 40 going to Neymar, that leaves only 26 mil (10 mil + 16 mil from Valdes) to get now both a world class CB and a world class GK. Also that's assuming Neymar is only 40 which he will probably be more than that with Madrid looming.

Valdes leaving sounds more like him wanting to challenge himself at the tail end of his career rather than him leaving bc he is disgruntled. I don't see why we can't let him see out his contract one last year and let him have a nice last hoorah if you will. He would most likely play his ass off too.

The player we should look to sell big is Sanchez. His deal from udinese was worth 36 mil so we could realistically ask 30 and probably get away with it. There seems to be a decent amount of interest in the guy (biggest being juve).

Also if villa leaves, I'll first be sad, but then it could be possible then to get a GK but if I was Zubi, I would rather get Neymar and two CBs and then spend big next summer for a GK.

A lot depends on how Valdes feels tho, but I would be surprised after being with us for so long that he would be against staying for one more season. That allows him to go wherever he and particularly his wife (whom I hear is Brazilian and wants to go home which would be nice bc it gets him out of Europe) want to go.

i_bleed_blaugrana

P.S. my biggest fear is that if we sell Valdes now and have to buy a new GK this summer, it's going to damper our effectiveness in purchases a lot, particularly in more pressing manners with the team. We need to address our defense immediately, and if we have to buy another GK on top of the Neymar sweepstakes, I fear the kind of CB we need now will be too expensive.

JackSparrow

Here's what I'd do.
Sell:
Valdes 12 M
Alexis 18 M
JDS 4 M
Bartra or Mascherano (If management thinks Bartra is not good enough then simply sell him instead of benching and keep Masc. Or keep him and sell Masch).

Buy:
Neymar 40 M
Silva 40 M
Ter Stagen 15 M

And promote some youngers like Delofeu, Muniesa, Sergi, Rafinha.

Z

ZiZu

Here's what I'd do.
Sell:
Valdes 12 M
Alexis 18 M
JDS 4 M
Bartra or Mascherano (If management thinks Bartra is not good enough then simply sell him instead of benching and keep Masc. Or keep him and sell Masch).

Buy:
Neymar 40 M
Silva 40 M
Ter Stagen 15 M

And promote some youngers like Delofeu, Muniesa, Sergi, Rafinha.

The last three youngsters are going out on loan , as I understand .

khaled_a_d

Your missing the point, we only have 50 mil to spend this summer unless rumors of a "Neymar fund" that we stashed last year is what we tap into. Realistically we don't have that and with at least 40 going to Neymar, that leaves only 26 mil (10 mil + 16 mil from Valdes) to get now both a world class CB and a world class GK. Also that's assuming Neymar is only 40 which he will probably be more than that with Madrid looming.

Valdes leaving sounds more like him wanting to challenge himself at the tail end of his career rather than him leaving bc he is disgruntled. I don't see why we can't let him see out his contract one last year and let him have a nice last hoorah if you will. He would most likely play his ass off too.

The player we should look to sell big is Sanchez. His deal from udinese was worth 36 mil so we could realistically ask 30 and probably get away with it. There seems to be a decent amount of interest in the guy (biggest being juve).

Also if villa leaves, I'll first be sad, but then it could be possible then to get a GK but if I was Zubi, I would rather get Neymar and two CBs and then spend big next summer for a GK.

A lot depends on how Valdes feels tho, but I would be surprised after being with us for so long that he would be against staying for one more season. That allows him to go wherever he and particularly his wife (whom I hear is Brazilian and wants to go home which would be nice bc it gets him out of Europe) want to go.

Actually I'am talking about the point exactly ,but with looking into the big picture ,selling VV will save money enough for signing a new GK with both the money coming from being sold+money saved from his wages regardless the transfer budget
So one GK out,one in ,look at selling other players to fund the CB&Neymar deals

Ursegor

World Champion
Hummels (Dortmund): "I will certainly be at Dortmund next season. There has been no contact with Barça or any other team." [kicker]

Tonietto (agent Thiago Silva): "There is no chance Thiago will leave. Many clubs want him, but he has a contract and PSG won't sell." [ser]

So ... I've heard Vermaelen is available. :VdB:

Home of Barca Fans