Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Antimadridista1

Marquinhos alone won't be enough . As I said before, if we can get Koscielny/Vertonghen + Marquinhos , adding to this Neymar + Ter Stegen, we'll be at the top next season.

rafals

Crap, we need some experienced player on this position. We take enough risk by signing Neymar. Maybe Marquinhos is not bad, but he shouldn't be our priority. Sure, we have Puyol, Pique and Mascherano who have been playing on top for years, but this season proved that when we are weakened by injuries or card pauses, in some toughest matches like against Real or Bayern, what we need is a 'real deal' of a CB - not some fillers like Adriano or Song... and not youngsters like Bartra or Marquinhos either. They might have good moments. But they also might fail to do the task right.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Hope it's not true. We shouldn't give up on Silva so easily. I don't care if he costs 40m, he's worth it. He's the best CB in the world and fits our needs perfectly (fast, good in the air, etc).

Marquinhos would be a better choice than some of the other CBs we've been linked with (Vermaelen :)facepalm:), Luiz :)facepalm:), etc), though that's not really saying much. And imo, we need a proven, world-class CB, not a prospect. Getting a prospect like Marquinhos could work, but it's a lot riskier imo.

I'm tired of this "just a prospect" stuff. All season he's thrived under horrible conditions and faced counterattacking situations with ice-cold nerves and extreme composure. Where does this idea come from that if a player is young he is too inexperienced to play and not nurtured enough? Not every young player in the world is Bojan. So many youngsters thrive in top flight conditions constantly (Alaba, Varane, Isco, Gotze, Draxler, Shaw, etc.) and here we are, FC Barcelona, the club who doesn't trust youngsters and wants to stick with the "safe" high profile players.

Thiago Silva is a great defender, don't get me wrong. But for 40 million euros plus a massive wage bill, not to mention the fact that he has huge issues with injuries and won't be a long term solution, he isn't worth it and shouldn't be a panic buy. Marquinhos adds great talent to the defense, ability against counterattacks, and can rotate with Puyol and Masch with good effect.

Mr Hulot

Sokratis (Werder Bremen) seems to replace Felipe Santana in Dortmund.
10 Mio €-

He is a good defender. 24 years old. But 10 Mio for a substitute?
We got good guys in our youth team (Günther, Sarr) or on loan (Sobiech)

Sokratis is maybe the only greek player I rate highly, but if he is going to Dortmund he is making another stupid career move(the first one was when he went to Milan). Maybe he is hoping that Hummels will be sold next year? Anyway, I thought that he was ready to move to Bayer Leverkusen, where he could play Champions League football and be a regular in the starting 11...

Mr Hulot

Twitter:
In the €70M joint sale to Monaco, Porto valued Moutinho at €1M & James Rodriguez at €69M, bcz Sp Lisbon are entitled to 25% of Moutinho sale

Hahaha. Crazy ass Russians.

I love some healthy rivalry between two clubs!

I'm tired of this "just a prospect" stuff. All season he's thrived under horrible conditions and faced counterattacking situations with ice-cold nerves and extreme composure. Where does this idea come from that if a player is young he is too inexperienced to play and not nurtured enough? Not every young player in the world is Bojan. So many youngsters thrive in top flight conditions constantly (Alaba, Varane, Isco, Gotze, Draxler, Shaw, etc.) and here we are, FC Barcelona, the club who doesn't trust youngsters and wants to stick with the "safe" high profile players.

Thiago Silva is a great defender, don't get me wrong. But for 40 million euros plus a massive wage bill, not to mention the fact that he has huge issues with injuries and won't be a long term solution, he isn't worth it and shouldn't be a panic buy. Marquinhos adds great talent to the defense, ability against counterattacks, and can rotate with Puyol and Masch with good effect.

Even Varane needed a season and a half at RM before he became the starter. So forgive me if I have my doubts about whether we can throw Marquinhos right into our starting lineup and expect him to succeed pretty much right away (and make no mistake, we need a CB to be the starter, pretty much right away, not one to warm the bench). It could work, but there's no guarantee it will.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Even Varane needed a season and a half at RM before he became the starter. So forgive me if I have my doubts about whether we can throw Marquinhos right into our starting lineup and expect him to succeed pretty much right away (and make no mistake, we need a CB to be the starter, pretty much right away, not one to warm the bench). It could work, but there's no guarantee it will.

But then there is no guarantee that Silva will work either. He may have injury problems or just lose his form like Torres, but I agree with that we SHOULD get Silva!

But then there is no guarantee that Silva will work either. He may have injury problems or just lose his form like Torres, but I agree with that we SHOULD get Silva!

By that logic, there's no guarantee about anyone. But my point was that Marquinhos has a much higher chance of not succeeding right away.

JonM

I fail to see why PSG would even entertain the idea of selling Silva in the first place considering the whole point of spending hundreds of millions on the team is to win the CL as soon as possible. Now why would you sell one of your best players and one of the best defenders in the world? Even if Silva is not happy, they can just double his salary or buy him an island or something.

It's just not happening.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo

Varane needed a season and a half because coming from a 2nd division team in France, he was relatively unknown. He impressed Mourinho consistently and got more trust but ultimately exploded in his performance vs Barca. Ever since then the only problem he's had has been playing alongside Pepe.

Marquinhos has already shined in a Roma team which had to bear with shit defensive tactics for a good portion of the year. He's known, he's consistent, and he's already broken out as a player, so he doesn't need as much time to integrate as Varane did at RM. Marquinhos doesn't necessarily have to be undisputed permanent starter. Masch works in most smaller games. Marquinhos can play a great deal of games ranging from small teams to midtable and even some big games. Puyol can be saved for the big games to provide his leadership presence. As the years go by and Puyol eventually retires, Marquinhos will be accumulated enough to handle all the biggest of games. This isn't even including the fact that we have Bartra as another backup. All of these players vying for one CB spot is definitely enough. Also, consider that a majority of our defensive problems can be fixed with tactical changes, not just spending right and left for transfers.

Home of Barca Fans