Transfers and Rumours - old thread

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
So you think if we bring back the pressing we can win the CL with a defence of Pique, Mascherano and Puyol and Marquinhos. Think again. Even during Pep era when we pressed like maniacs though we were more secure defensively than we are now still we were always susceptible to set pieces and the occasional counterattack. If we bring back the pressing and have fast and CB's like Thiago Silva/Vertonghen and a tall defensive FB(to defend set pieces and cut out the occasional breakaways from speedy players like Di Maria) our defence will rival that of Bayern.

-->Regarding Puyol as much as i love him we cant rely on him if we want to win the CL. The way he was humiliated by Di Maria shows we cant rely on him against fast counterattacking team.
-->And the less said about Pique the better. I havent seen a slower defender than him in all the years that i have been watching football. Not to mention that he's a p***y on set pieces getting outmuscled by Ramos and Varane
-->Mascherano not a natural CB. Gets caught out often and cant defend set pieces
-->Marquinhos has done well. But what we need is a leader of our backline-A Puyol replacement. And the pressure at a club like Barca which wants to wn the CL every year is much much higher than than Roma who cant even qualify for CL. And with a manager like Tito i doubt he would get much playing time
-->Bartra--His Barca career is finished thanks to Tito

So apart from bringing back the pressing we sure as hell could use an upgrade in our defence personnel. A club of the standard of Barca certainly deserves better defenders

Marquinhos should be all the personnel we need if we were to fix the tactical problem. And keep in mind that I doubt the tactical problem will be fixed under Tito, it's just what I'd say is the best solution. If our players press, teams will only get 2-3 decent chances to score per game and our defense will have a much easier job, allowing the players we feel are poor atm (Pique, Puyol, Masch) to actually perform better. Shut down the space for them to pass, give the defense time to re-position, that would make a world of difference.

In the hypothetical situation that we do fix the tactical side of things, Marquinhos would be a perfect transfer for personnel. He's young, can develop into a leader figure, and a perfect long term partner to Pique. And if the tactics are fixed and our other defenders perform better, there won't be as much pressure on Marquinhos to be a savior.

I probably should've been more specific though. Under Tito's current tactical and rotational system Marquinhos would be far from enough, but so would Silva. I'm just saying that after prioritizing on the main problem of tactics, Marquinhos is a great solitary defensive transfer for the future and present depth.

Yannick03

If Barcelona can't sign PSG centre back Thiago Silva, Vilanova's "plan B" is using Barcelona full back Adriano as centre back. [sport]

Seriously Tito, be a bit realistic, will you.

AvocadoCake

-->And the less said about Pique the better. I havent seen a slower defender than him in all the years that i have been watching football.

You might mean his speed of thought is slow, and this I definitely agree if that's what you mean, but physically, he's not:

89Norcal

You cant win the CL with Arsenal rejects

He's not a reject really, he's a leader and a great defender who just got pushed to the wayside. You try getting into a lineup with Mertesacker and Koscielny. Definitely better than our current options and for that price it would be a steal.

Home of Barca Fans