Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I bet we get Mathieu for less than 8M. That's not a bad buy at all. He'll be our 2nd option @ LB. He can not be our CB solution though.

If the club buys Mathieu, we might as well buy Rami too and see how much of a discount we can get buying both. If they can get both for anywhere near 16M, I think it would be a solid buy.

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Anyone rubbishing the potential signing of Mathieu simply haven't been paying attention when we've played Los Che

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Anyone rubbishing the potential signing of Mathieu simply haven't been paying attention when we've played Los Che

I watch Valencia play all the time. He puts in a good shift. Not flashy but he's tough.

Same with Rami, who had a bit of a down year because of injuries but that's why he can bought cheap too.

The transfer of Valencia defender Jeremy Mathieu (29) is getting closer. He has the right profile and is available for low price. [md]

Words fail me.

Oh God, please no...

We were being linked with Silva a few weeks ago and now it's some mediocre 29 year old nobody...

XaviMessiGirl

I wouldn't call him shit or mediocre but is he really the type of player that Barca should be going for when we need so much strengthening? I don't really think so.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
We can't wait around another summer hoping Thiago Silva falls to us in our lap. We were stuck playing Bartra against Bayern Munich. This can not happen again.

I really hope the club doesn't think Mathieu is a CB option on week-to-week basis though, he's much more suited @ LB. If they buy him, they might as well buy Rami and get both for cheap. Rami lacks pace but I would be much more comfortable with him than Bartra or Mascherano and the suicidal tackles he makes.

We can't wait around another summer hoping Thiago Silva falls to us in our lap. We were stuck playing Bartra against Bayern Munich. This can not happen again.

I really hope the club doesn't think Mathieu is a CB option on week-to-week basis though, he's much more suited @ LB. If they buy him, they might as well buy Rami and get both for cheap. Rami lacks pace but I would be much more comfortable with him than Bartra or Mascherano and the suicidal tackles he makes.

Mathieu and Rami are not at the standard we need. I don't care if they're cheap, I hope we don't get them. There's a reason they're cheap. Again, we need either a world class CB or a potential world class CB, and there are quite a few of the latter that we can get, even though there aren't that many of the former.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
Mathieu and Rami are not at the standard we need. I don't care if they're cheap, I hope we don't get them. There's a reason they're cheap. Again, we need either a world class CB or a potential world class CB, and there are quite a few of the latter that we can get.

Inigo Martinez would not come cheap. I'm not convinced Real Sociedad is selling now that they qualified for the CL. I believe we would have to activate his full buyout clause of 30M.

Real Madrid just had their 20M bid for Marquinhos rejected. I'm sure he would be expensive too and you know Perez is going to stick it to us with another high bid.

I like David Luiz but Chelsea may not sell. Same with Thiago Silva.

Even if we don't go for Rami but just Mathieu, we can still go after a young prospect like Mangala. Mathieu is not a bad option as our 2nd LB option and 3rd-4th CB option. We can still go after a world-class CB if we get Mathieu.

Last edited:
Inigo Martinez would not come cheap. I'm not convinced Real Sociedad is selling now that they qualified for the CL. I believe we would have to activate his full buyout clause of 30M.

Real Madrid just had their 20M bid for Marquinhos rejected. I'm sure he would be expensive too and you know Perez is going to stick it to us with another high bid.

I like David Luiz but Chelsea may not sell. Same with Thiago Silva.

Even if we don't go for Rami but just Mathieu, we can still go after a young prospect like Mangala. Mathieu is not a bad option as our 2nd LB option and 3rd-4th CB option. We can still go after a world-class CB if we get Mathieu.

I'd rather pay 25M for Marquinhos (btw, them getting a 20M bid rejected is a rumor) or 30M for Martinez (or overpay on some other WC or potential WC CB) than pay 7-10M for Mathieu or Rami. After all, we have at least 35M of the budget left. Again, there's a reason they are cheap and others (Marquinhos, Martinez, Silva, etc) are not. I suppose I wouldn't mind Mathieu as a 3rd/4th choice CB (we already have Adriano as 2nd choice LB). A world class or potential world class CB needs to be the priority though, we need to get one of those first.

As for Mangala, I think he'd be expensive as well, but like the others, I'd rather overpay on him than get Rami and/or Mathieu.

Cruijffista

SOY ANTIMADRIDISTA
I'd rather pay 25M for Marquinhos (btw, them getting a 20M bid rejected is a rumor) or 30M for Martinez (or overpay on some other WC or potential WC CB) than pay 7-10M for Mathieu or Rami. After all, we have at least 35M of the budget left. Again, there's a reason they are cheap and others (Marquinhos, Martinez, Silva, etc) are not. I suppose I wouldn't mind Mathieu as a 3rd/4th choice CB (we already have Adriano as 2nd choice LB). A world class or potential world class CB needs to be the priority though, we need to get one of those first.

As for Mangala, I think he'd be expensive as well, but like the others, I'd rather overpay on him than get Rami and/or Mathieu.

It doesn't matter what order we get them in.

I would prefer if we get Mathieu and a world-class CB. There's nothing wrong with adding depth to our squad, we need a CB and a replacement for Abidal.

In the event we can't get Silva or Luiz, we need a back-up plan.

The Mundo Deportivo report that is being sourced by BarcaStuff claims we can get Mathieu for as little as 4 to 5M.

I don't really see the logic by signing Mathieu right now would inhibit us from going after a world-class CB?

It doesn't matter what order we get them in.

I would prefer if we get Mathieu and a world-class CB. There's nothing wrong with adding depth to our squad, we need a CB and a replacement for Abidal.

In the event we can't get Silva or Luiz, we need a back-up plan.

The Mundo Deportivo report that is being sourced by BarcaStuff claims we can get Mathieu for as little as 4 to 5M.

I don't really see the logic by signing Mathieu right now would inhibit us from going after a world-class CB?

And that backup plan should be a potential world class CB like Marquinhos or Inigo Martinez, not some mediocre 29 year old 5M player.

And the thing is, we also need a GK (sure, Valdes said he's staying until 2014, but we still need to get a GK in this window IMO). So we should get a GK and world class/potential world class CB and then we can think about getting Mathieu if we have money left over.

Selling Mangala would be suicidial for Porto after they've already lost Rodriguez and Moutinho.

Porto are a selling club, there's a good chance they'll sell him. Problem is, they sell their players for a lot more than they're worth. I'd rather overpay for Mangala than get some mediocre CB like Vermaelen or Mathieu though.

Home of Barca Fans