Transfers and Rumours - old thread

JamDav1982

Seriously are you guys this thick headed? You just said what I've been saying. Take your sentance and ...
Messi starts on the right and is more or less given a free role to go where he wants, he is not winger.

LOL

So?
and he didn't do that when Eto'o was on the team? Messi didn't score from a central position?
As far as I remember he wasn't gunning in shots from RW outside the 18 yard box. He would as you said "control the ball, dribble in tight spaces" and score.

I think you miss the point thinking putting Messi @ RW makes him a winger in the sense of Pedro or Navas.
As I said before the Milan game was our system played to perfection. Not only was the pressing & strategy there but the change in our personel (or where they were positioned) was also a key factor. And Messi's goals still came from a central position, as do CR7s or Gareth Bale or Neymar's.

It is totally different as Ronaldo is not really expected to get involved in the build up to much or create too much. His free role from the wing is more about movement off the ball than anything else.

Messi is central to the Barcelona style and is heavily involved in the build up and would not get that out wide.

The one thing that has worked this season in the attack is Messi but you want to change it. Makes no sense.

Gaudi

How about compromise. Messi at false 9 but now with Neymar and Tello/Alexis/PEdro on the other side all changing postions. So complete fluid attack, sometimes Messi on the right, Neymar in the middle, allowing no time for opposition to relax

Barca8

It is totally different as Ronaldo is not really expected to get involved in the build up to much or create too much. His free role from the wing is more about movement off the ball than anything else.

Messi is central to the Barcelona style and is heavily involved in the build up and would not get that out wide.

The one thing that has worked this season in the attack is Messi but you want to change it. Makes no sense.

What doesn't make sense is you proved my point but still need to argue against yourself.

JamDav1982

What doesn't make sense is you proved my point but still need to argue against yourself.

You could basically not get two more different players than Messi and Ronaldo.

It means nothing that Ronaldo plays from the wing.

If you cant see that then fair enough.

JamDav1982

Yeah, but oppostion defenders then need to cover all over the place, not just concentrate on the middle. They would be stretched all the time

They need to get stretched by better wide players not Messi being taken out a position where he has risen to the greatest player of all time and broke records weekly.

Barca8

But why even put Messi on the wing if he's going to drift inside anyway?

Sad that you have to ask that after our convo thus far.
Sorry man, you clearly don't understand football tactics or haven't read anything I've said in my posts.

We're not buying a CF anytime soon so don't worry. Messi will continue @ False 9 :thumbsup2:

JamDav1982

Sad that you have to ask that after our convo thus far.
Sorry man, you clearly don't understand football tactics or haven't read anything I've said in my posts.

We're not buying a CF anytime soon so don't worry. Messi will continue @ False 9 :thumbsup2:

Yip you understand football tactics more than Guardiola, Tito and all the managers that have played Messi through the middle.

It is his strongest position and it is an area of the park Barcelona need him in.

AvocadoCake

No probem, there's also Adriano.

And Thiago, and Messi.... not that he needs a whole squad of friends, I'm sure he can settle in fine like pretty much every other player who joins. When was the last time a player left because they were 'unsettled' without being pushed out by the club?

Gaudi

They need to get stretched by better wide players not Messi being taken out a position where he has risen to the greatest player of all time and broke records weekly.

Fine, but even MEssi would find more space from time to time on the wings, why not make them run shadows with fluid attack?

AvocadoCake

Only option would be like we did in the second leg against Milan, have a central striker (Lewa) and Messi behind, then overload one side of the game (Neymar-Alba-Iniesta on the left), but we can't really play that week in week out.

JamDav1982

Fine, but even MEssi would find more space from time to time on the wings, why not make them run shadows with fluid attack?

He does still drift out to the wings at times anyway.

There are problems with the Barcelona attack but I cant see how you solve those by moving the one thing that without a doubt was working.

Barca8

Yip you understand football tactics more than Guardiola, Tito and all the managers that have played Messi through the middle.

It is his strongest position and it is an area of the park Barcelona need him in.

No Dr. Contrary... using Guardiola is a bad example as his versatile genius is why FC Barcelona is as great as it is. Mentored in the school of Voetball Totaal by Cruyff himself the key has always been SPACE. How to use it, create it, move it, and dominate it. You and semi-neutral have been lost on my posts. I am not saying take Messi out from the CF position... I have only said we should have a true CF or Plan B as everyone has been calling it. In that case having Messi at RW and his ability to use space while others move and open space for him is something that we need against Madrid, Bayern, Dortmund, Juve or even Celtic (based on last year).

I don't expect you to understand JamDav as in the Tello thread you have no problem going in circles arguing. What you said about Ronaldo is all I was saying about Messi, proving my point.

Barca8

Only option would be like we did in the second leg against Milan, have a central striker (Lewa) and Messi behind, then overload one side of the game (Neymar-Alba-Iniesta on the left), but we can't really play that week in week out.

We don't have to play like that week in week out. In La Liga our norm is fine, we just need to tighten up our defense. Against the big clubs of Europe that Milan strategy would come in handy (Plan B, versatility, alternatives, backup plan)

Home of Barca Fans