Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Jadentheman

Rosell should really change "unlikely" to "maybe" status Why did management give up on him last year? Why can't we at least TRY this year?

He.costs.too.much.money.

Sell someone. Problem solved.

We have around 34M left, since we probably paid 16M up front for Neymar (since we're paying 47M over 3 years). That + money from the sale of one player (probably Villa, since he's probably going) could be enough. I think it's a long shot, but I don't think it's as impossible as some others believe it to be. And he's worth the price tag.

Last edited:

Galning

Neymar cost 57 million. I didn't see that stopping them. Villa cost 40. Ibrahimović cost 46 + Eto.

Ah yes because whenever you buy someone your transfer budget automatically increases back to the original number. All the examples you are giving were never the same summer.
57M for Neymar, let's say 50M for Thiago Silva,... anyone else you want to buy? Barcelona does not rely on some Arab sheikh to give them money. It's very unlikely that Thiago Silva will come. And the reason why we didn't push for him last year? Simple, he wanted PSG's money more. Barcelona made a bid for him but we cannot compete with PSG when it comes to both the transfer price and his wages.
Even the wages he supposedly is asking for now... he wants to earn more than Xavi & Iniesta. There's no way Barça will do that.

I honestly don't think he will come. I've never seen Barça spent so much money during one transfer window. It's not like they are not trying or didn't try.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well... I'd love to have Thiago Silva here, but he chose money over trophies last season when he moved to PSG. Yes he won the league, BUT is it better than potentially winning the Champions League? Not at all IMHO.

Let Silva stay where he is now. He could have joined us last season, but wanted money instead.

Lets spend that 40-45m on Iñigo Martinez and Marquinhos.

Stric

Ah yes because whenever you buy someone your transfer budget automatically increases back to the original number. All the examples you are giving were never the same summer.
57M for Neymar, let's say 50M for Thiago Silva,... anyone else you want to buy? Barcelona does not rely on some Arab sheikh to give them money. It's very unlikely that Thiago Silva will come. And the reason why we didn't push for him last year? Simple, he wanted PSG's money more. Barcelona made a bid for him but we cannot compete with PSG when it comes to both the transfer price and his wages.
Even the wages he supposedly is asking for now... he wants to earn more than Xavi & Iniesta. There's no way Barça will do that.

I honestly don't think he will come. I've never seen Barça spent so much money during one transfer window. It's not like they are not trying or didn't try.

I'm not saying it's likely or possible now. But they should have bought Thiago Silva first, then worry about when to get Neymar later. Priorities. My point was that Barca does (that is, did) have the kind of money it takes to get TS (and more), but opted to spend it on Neymar instead.

And as far as I know, Barca never made an official offer for Silva. One of the mods (I don't remember who, though) recently pulled out a quote saying that.

raskolnikov

Well... I'd love to have Thiago Silva here, but he chose money over trophies last season when he moved to PSG. Yes he won the league, BUT is it better than potentially winning the Champions League? Not at all IMHO.

Let Silva stay where he is now. He could have joined us last season, but wanted money instead.

We keep getting linked with bench players like agger or mathieu though, its like the board doesnt care at all about our backline problems.
Think about how much a quality defender would add to our cl chances.

Z

ZiZu

I'd possibly agree . I'd prefer David Luiz over anyone but that won't go down well here , I guess .

Galning

I'm not saying it's likely or possible now. But they should have bought Thiago Silva first, then worry about when to get Neymar later. Priorities. My point was that Barca does (that is, did) have the kind of money it takes to get TS (and more), but opted to spend it on Neymar instead.

And as far as I know, Barca never made an official offer for Silva. One of the mods (I don't remember who, though) recently pulled out a quote saying that.

Ah yes priorities. If something became clear the last couple of years is that our priorities aren't the same as Barça's. Neymar is a good player but it's not like we really needed him.
I'm still standing with my prediction pre-transfer season: Watch us sign Neymar and have no money left for our priorities. Mediocre centre back & mediocre goalie incoming. Luckily for us it seems like Valdés will stay another season so maybe we'll sign a decent goalkeeper next season (or at least pre-sign one this summer).

Ah yes priorities. If something became clear the last couple of years is that our priorities aren't the same as Barça's. Neymar is a good player but it's not like we really needed him.
I'm still standing with my prediction pre-transfer season: Watch us sign Neymar and have no money left for our priorities. Mediocre centre back & mediocre goalie incoming. Luckily for us it seems like Valdés will stay another season so maybe we'll sign a decent goalkeeper next season (or at least pre-sign one this summer).

Again, we're not paying the 57M up front. It's over 3 years. And we've already paid 10M. So we should have around 34M left (47/3 = 16, which is probably what we're paying up front. 50-16 = 34).

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans