Transfers and Rumours - old thread

N

Noldorin

I'd love to see the following 1st choice starting XI next season:

Krul
Montoya/Alves - Hummels/Vertonghen - Pique/Puyol - Alba
Xavi/Fabregas - Busquets - Iniesta
Pedro - Messi - Tello/Deulofeu

Puyol and Bartra could be great back-up options in central defence, while it would probably make sense to sign a cheapish replacement for Messi in the case of injury. Cuenca could potentially play on the wing if he returns from Ajax on good form, but otherwise I think the above would the best possible team. A quality young keeper like Krul would be ideal (and inexpensive), though there are a few other options. It might also be wise to purchase a replacement for Pinto since he'll surely be leaving in summer 2014. Now Hummels would cost a bit (Vertonghen rather less), but Barca could definitely afford him after selling Villa (and Mascherano too?); I like both players but neither really works at Barca any more. Abidal could potentially be a good CB option for the rest of the season along with Bartra, but I don't think he has much time left at the club.

Anyway, this is a team I could see blowing away all national and European opposition! And a very realistically achievable one, at that. Thoughts, folks?

I'd love to see the following 1st choice starting XI next season:

Krul
Montoya/Alves - Hummels/Vertonghen - Pique/Puyol - Alba
Xavi/Fabregas - Busquets - Iniesta
Pedro - Messi - Tello/Deulofeu

Puyol and Bartra could be great back-up options in central defence, while it would probably make sense to sign a cheapish replacement for Messi in the case of injury. Cuenca could potentially play on the wing if he returns from Ajax on good form, but otherwise I think the above would the best possible team. A quality young keeper like Krul would be ideal (and inexpensive), though there are a few other options. It might also be wise to purchase a replacement for Pinto since he'll surely be leaving in summer 2014. Now Hummels would cost a bit (Vertonghen rather less), but Barca could definitely afford him after selling Villa (and Mascherano too?); I like both players but neither really works at Barca any more. Abidal could potentially be a good CB option for the rest of the season along with Bartra, but I don't think he has much time left at the club.

Anyway, this is a team I could see blowing away all national and European opposition! And a very realistically achievable one, at that. Thoughts, folks?

IMO, this would be better:
Courtois/Ter Stegen
Alves-Pique-Hummels-Alba
Xavi-Busquets-Fabregas
Pedro-Messi-Iniesta

Though it would be pretty expensive. But it would be a fucking badass team. Forget about an unbeaten season, we'd probably win every game. We might want to go for someone who can score from the RW position (since Pedro's been a bit inconsistent) and a less expensive keeper/CB though.

N

Noldorin

IMO, this would be better:
Courtois/Ter Stegen
Alves-Pique-Hummels-Alba
Xavi-Busquets-Fabregas
Pedro-Messi-Iniesta

Though it would be pretty expensive. But it would be a fucking badass team. Forget about an unbeaten season, we'd probably win every game. We might want to go for someone who can score from the RW position (since Pedro's been a bit inconsistent) and a less expensive keeper/CB though.

Well, Iniesta on the wing is just silly. We've seen that already, and he proved what a boss he is today. I agree Ter Stegen is good, but he is barely if anything better than Krul, and Krul is a LOT cheaper. Courtois is Chelsea, so I hope we don't buy from them as a matter of principle. And he's really in the same league as Krul and Ter Stegen anyway, no higher.

Pedro has been class lately, but next season we could potentially play any of Tello, Alexis, Cuenca, and even Fabregas as wingers. Deulofeu should probably be eased in a bit more next season, but not starting until 2014/2015.

khaled_a_d

Well, Iniesta on the wing is just silly. We've seen that already, and he proved what a boss he is today. I agree Ter Stegen is good, but he is barely if anything better than Krul, and Krul is a LOT cheaper. Courtois is Chelsea, so I hope we don't buy from them as a matter of principle. And he's really in the same league as Krul and Ter Stegen anyway, no higher.

Pedro has been class lately, but next season we could potentially play any of Tello, Alexis, Cuenca, and even Fabregas as wingers. Deulofeu should probably be eased in a bit more next season, but not starting until 2014/2015.

What? we already bought a player from Chelsea few years ago (Gudjohnsen ) , The team has no problem with it for sure,I don't get you tbh

Iniesta's had even better games on the wing (like the game against Levante). Krul may be as good as Courtois and Ter Stegen right now, but they're younger. So they have more potential. We might wanna go for Krul because he has experience though.

N

Noldorin

What? we already bought a player from Chelsea few years ago (Gudjohnsen ) , The team has no problem with it for sure,I don't get you tbh

And sold him pretty quickly. Chelsea are the antithesis of the Barcelona style these days, and their is heated rivalry between them every time they face off. There is very little respect in the Blaugrana camp for how such a team is run and indeed plays.

And sold him pretty quickly. Chelsea are the antithesis of the Barcelona style these days, and their is heated rivalry between them every time they face off. There is very little respect in the Blaugrana camp for how such a team is run and indeed plays.

Courtois doesn't even have any appearances for Chelsea. Not to mention he can speak Spanish and he's used to La Liga. I'd say he's more of an Atletico player at the moment, even though he does belong to Chelsea. So he could fit us better than anyone else that we could realistically get. He's gonna be pretty expensive and hard to get though.

Courtois and Ter Stegen are definitely our best options IMO. I suppose Krul is a decent option as well though.

N

Noldorin

Courtois doesn't even have any appearances for Chelsea. Not to mention he can speak Spanish and he's used to La Liga. I'd say he's more of an Atletico player at the moment, even though he does belong to Chelsea. So he could fit us better than anyone else that we could realistically get. He's gonna be pretty expensive and hard to get though.

Courtois and Ter Stegen are definitely our best options IMO. I suppose Krul is a decent option as well though.

True... Tim Krul is still only 24 though, which is young for a keeper. He's proven himself and could still adapt to the Barça style quite well I think. Either Krul or Ter Stegen would make me happy.

khaled_a_d

Since when 3 years is "pretty quickly" for a footballer? smh

Indignado

Why is no one talking about De Gea? He's Spanish, he wants to come, he won't be too expensive if United buy Begovic and, even though he did some stupid mistakes, he's world class.

Cule4life

The Culest
Why is no one talking about De Gea? He's Spanish, he wants to come, he won't be too expensive if United buy Begovic and, even though he did some stupid mistakes, he's world class.

We are weak on set pieces and De Gea would exacerbate that problem with his small frame.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
United might not sell but yes de Gea is a great and possible option. There are the crazy optimists who believe Courtois or ter Stegen will come along with some 40+ million CB plus Neymar/Aguero. I don't even understand where they get the idea. ter Stegen is without a doubt the best option but it's not going to happen. Almost 0% chance of it, so why bother repeating it 50 billion times. There are also crazy pessimists who believe Reina will come in and we won't buy a CB at all. Honestly, there is a chance Reina could come but even that isn't likely. It's most likely Guaita or De Gea. Also, realistically, we will get a good young CB in la liga such as Inigo Martinez, Victor Ruiz, or Jonas Ramalho. Those goalkeeper+center back options are the smartest and most economical ones, not to mention the most likely.

United might not sell but yes de Gea is a great and possible option. There are the crazy optimists who believe Courtois or ter Stegen will come along with some 40+ million CB plus Neymar/Aguero. I don't even understand where they get the idea. ter Stegen is without a doubt the best option but it's not going to happen. Almost 0% chance of it, so why bother repeating it 50 billion times. There are also crazy pessimists who believe Reina will come in and we won't buy a CB at all. Honestly, there is a chance Reina could come but even that isn't likely. It's most likely Guaita or De Gea. Also, realistically, we will get a good young CB in la liga such as Inigo Martinez, Victor Ruiz, or Jonas Ramalho. Those goalkeeper+center back options are the smartest and most economical ones, not to mention the most likely.

I think we should be able to get Courtois/Ter Stegen (Courtois will probably be tough to get though) plus a great CB. Neymar/Aguero on top of that though... not gonna happen. There have been reports of interest in all 3: Courtois, Hummels and Neymar/Aguero, but we're definitely not gonna get all 3 in one go. However, I can see us being able to get Ter Stegen (maybe Courtois) and Hummels.

Last edited:

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think we should be able to get Courtois/Ter Stegen (Courtois will probably be tough to get though) plus a great CB. Neymar/Aguero on top of that though... not gonna happen. There have been reports of interest in all 3: Courtois, Hummels and Neymar/Aguero, but we're definitely not gonna get all 3 in one go. However, I can see us being able to get Ter Stegen (maybe Courtois) and Hummels.

There hasn't been any solid interest shown in ter Stegen. Hummels is one of the only CB's we've been linked to but I can almost guarantee Barcelona will search around and buy a cheaper player.

There hasn't been any solid interest shown in ter Stegen. Hummels is one of the only CB's we've been linked to but I can almost guarantee Barcelona will search around and buy a cheaper player.

I remember seeing a few reports on interest in Ter Stegen, but yes, there haven't been many. All the reports linking GKs to Barca seem to be about Courtois.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans