Transfers and Rumours - old thread

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Modric is a very good player. Intelligent and can keep the tempo of the game moving. He made the difference in the second leg vs Manchester United (I know the was a red card but he still performed).

Xavi is also a tempo keeping player and rarely makes long passes. He is still a world class player though because he anticipates where the space will be and moves into it, and knows who to pass to and when to keep the build up of the attack running smoothly. Modric is also like this to a lesser level.

Zincubus

Banned
Modric is a very good player. Intelligent and can keep the tempo of the game moving. He made the difference in the second leg vs Manchester United (I know the was a red card but he still performed).

Xavi is also a tempo keeping player and rarely makes long passes. He is still a world class player though because he anticipates where the space will be and moves into it, and knows who to pass to and when to keep the build up of the attack running smoothly. Modric is also like this to a lesser level.

Xavi spreads crossfield balls around though .

raskolnikov

Why doesn't :zubi: contact Ajax to check if they have any more young talent like Vertonghen ?
Christian Eriksen, he isnt there yet but he is extremely talented and would turn into a quality player in a few years, available now for 14 mil, which will be 40 in 2/3 years when he will be a quality player at Liverpool or Spurs.
Also Fischer within 2 years.

Where was he last year, when Frank de Boer said that Verthongen would be the new Koeman for Barca?
Yes and a lot of people on the forum wanted him as well if I remember correctly.
But Zubi prefered to spend double the ammount on Song cause he could play cb and dmf haha.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Where was he last year, when Frank de Boer said that Verthongen would be the new Koeman for Barca?

Exactly. I know our scouting network is pretty much worthless but why not at least look at players from clubs that play our system.
Or maybe Zubi proposed it but Tito rejected, who knows. Either way, we've missed some great opportunities in last couple of years.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
My feeling was that Tito rejected the move. Wasn't it him that said "we don't need a defender" last summer?

While we're on the subject of defenders who play our system, what about Toby Alderweireld? I don't know much about him but I've heard he's a good talent and he plays for Ajax.

Yannick03

My feeling was that Tito rejected the move. Wasn't it him that said "we don't need a defender" last summer?

While we're on the subject of defenders who play our system, what about Toby Alderweireld? I don't know much about him but I've heard he's a good talent and he plays for Ajax.

Not good enough. He's not bad and he'll be good enough for teams like Spurs, Valencia, Schalke, AS Roma and others but never a European topclub. Vertonghen is the one we need. He's strong, great in the air, good with his feet, excellent positioning and has a great attitude. He also plays left back for our national team and when he was young he played as a defensive midfielder.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Yeah, Vertonghen was the better talent out of the two. It's just not realistic to get him now. Maybe we're better off getting a stop gap until next summer, when certain players might become available. There's no rush to win the Champions League right now if it means we damage long term success by wasting money. That attitude has costed Real Madrid their Decima for ten years now.

Last edited:

raskolnikov

Vertonghen wont happen cause Levy is a pain in the ass to negotiate with and would make us pay the maximum price.
The smart thing to do is bring in the biggest cb talents that will be worth much more in 1/2 years.

Lets face it, Silva,Luis,Vertonghen,Martinez,Marquinhos,Agger its all not happening, they have been bought, not allowed to go, or have a huge price tag.
I feel buying huge talents is better than not buying anyone or buying a guy like Rami from Valencia.

I suggest we go for N'koulou from Marseille, he would be available for a much cheaper price, brings a lot of quality, only 22 years old and would be willing to come I think.
Problem is guys like him or not on our radar until they play for Psg,City or Chelsea.
We need to get rid of this short sighted galactico vision.

Yannick03

Yeah, Vertonghen was the better talent out of the two. It's just not realistic to get him now. Maybe we're better off getting a stop gap until next summer, when certain players might become available. There's no rush to win the Champions League right now if it means we damage long term success by wasting money. That attitude has costed Real Madrid their Decima for ten years now.

Which is what we've been doing the last couple of seasons. Allegedly we have a transfer budget of 50 millions, why not use it. It is only normal that a worldclass defender has his price, if we aren't willing to splash that amount what's the point of having that kind of budget ? Then we would need to buy potential worldclass defender when they're young. I'd say, splash the cash on a top defender. We can't go on another season with this central defence...

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Then we're overpaying for players who aren't good enough for the price tag. Either buy a youngster and take a gamble or wait until a proven world class centre back is available and spending that much is justified.

raskolnikov

What about papadopoulos? young talented cb who would be avalaible for a decent price, you buy him and n'koulou and our cb problems are solved for years, no need to splash our entire budget on David Luis for example.

Shegzy

What about papadopoulos? young talented cb who would be avalaible for a decent price, you buy him and n'koulou and our cb problems are solved for years, no need to splash our entire budget on David Luis for example.

Exactly this is what we should do,and both of them combined would not cost more than 35million euros and their combine salary not more than david luiz,and they are young and experienced;we should just sell song,move masch to mildfield and sign the two of them but knowing our management they will not make a move as smart as this,they always like to waste money.

P

PhilS

Indulging in fantasy: Silva, Luiz, Agger, others who are not for sale. Blame Rosell for failing to get them.
Available CBs are not likely to be that good. Barca is not overeager to overpay for someone worse than who they have now.

The last attempt to improve the position was Song. He's OK at backup DM, though no bargain. No help at all as a CB.

Tata has a Plan B. Busquets will be a full-time defender. Much more pressure upfield from the forwards and AMs. Good plan, might work.

Home of Barca Fans