Trincão

Rory

He's got some traits that look bad but also some good ones that can't be taught. He's willing to be selfish from the moment he's on the pitch. That is a good sign and one that is quite rare for a barca player. Against Betis he ran at their defender each time, had a few shots even from long range when other players would have controlled the ball and looked for a sideways pass.

Laplacian

Pick out the top 20 wingers in European football and you won't get one player that's actually slow and lacks explosiveness in his dribbling. Bbz is right, Trincao won't go anywhere we want him to be.

Rory

He probably won't be elite but maybe just a decent player. Grealish plays as a LW and is easily a top 20 winger based on form at the moment, he's quite slow and lacks explosiveness for a winger. Also feel free to ignore but can we quickly drop the "bbz is right about him" thing, I think over half the people don't like what they see in Trincao, we don't want his ego growing even bigger

BarcaVillain

He probably won't be elite but maybe just a decent player. Grealish plays as a LW and is easily a top 20 winger based on form at the moment, he's quite slow and lacks explosiveness for a winger. Also feel free to ignore but can we quickly drop the "bbz is right about him" thing, I think over half the people don't like what they see in Trincao, we don't want his ego growing even bigger

As a Villa fan, Grealish has never been a winger. He may operate defensively on the wing but his ability lies in drifting about the pitch. That may be similar to Trincao, the issue with the later is that he won't be allowed to do that at Barca currently.

Alik

I wrote months ago why didn't we go for Ferran Torres, admitted then and now I haven't really watched them but I saw speed in Ferran. My point is: what did the scouts saw in Trincao? I mean you go to the Braga game and he ticks all your boxes? How, for God sake?
He is not bad footballer but, in my opinion, mediocre at best, like squad player for Sevilla at best. Neither fast, neither strong, neither great dribbler, passer...?
I mean some players BBZ mentioned above, at least you can see some exciting thing, like speed, dribbling, something...yet they need much more to succeed at the top level, but what did our scouts saw in regular player like Trincao, i don't know.

I don't see anything in him either.

At least he didn't cost an arm and a leg, and has very little pressure on him. He can either improve or we can sell him later at not too much of a loss.

soul24rage

As a Villa fan, Grealish has never been a winger. He may operate defensively on the wing but his ability lies in drifting about the pitch. That may be similar to Trincao, the issue with the later is that he won't be allowed to do that at Barca currently.

yeah, I see Trincao more in the position of the likes of Messi and Griezmann in that right half space rather than on right wing in the current 4231 system

BBZ8800

BBZ, can you please give me a list of 3 or 5 players (their names) who fit your criteria (they don't have "deadly flaws") and who would also be:

1. realistically available for us so we can exclude players already in big teams who would be either very expensive or totally impossible to sign.
2. who are still relatively young (let's say 27 or younger)
3. who play at one of positions of our current biggest needs (CB, midfielder)

I don't watch football anymore except Barca and 1 match per weekend, usually Liverpool or City.
So, I am "out of it" in terms of players from other clubs.

Regarding Trincao, there is one more issue.
When I mentioned "filler players", not all positions on a field are of equal importance.

When you check our CL winning seasons, our wingers were Ballon D Or Ronaldinho + young Messi/CL finalist&captain of Monaco from 2004 Guily.
In 2009: Goat Messi and one of the best attackers ever, Henry.
In 2011: Pedro, Messi, Villa, where Villa was an animal at Valencia.
In 2015: Neymar+Messi which is a winger pair worth 600-700 millions.

On the other hand, in those matches we had guys like Oleguer, Belletti, Sylvinho or Abidal as fullbacks.
If you get my point?

So, you can survive with fillers like Sylvinho and Oleguer at fullback positions, as a CB or pivot.
But it's impossible to win big things with a winger of Oleguer's or Sylvinho's level.

So, my point is: 3 attackers must be world class, insane players.
In that sense, a football world moved to fast wingers and we have a snail paced winger in Trincao.

Again, never say never but cold probabilities are that 90-95% likely we will never reach heights with a player on a key position of Trincao's quality.

I am talking about him as a starter material.

I really don't see what is here to discuss, sorry :/

JohnN

I can't see him ever being more than a sub. He is painfully slow for a winger in my eyes. Has some other good abilities but that pace will limit him.

vegitot

I think he could still make impact here but need more times. Still only 20, if he is 25 then his rating will be different.

Andresito

Staff member
Isn't he very much like a Mahrez type of winger? A bit slower but can still be good.

What I've noticed about Trincao is that he actually gets into shooting positions, both with Barca and Portugal, but his finishing is pretty poor.

Idk when Robben developed his lethal left foot but he didn't score double figures in the top 5 leagues until he was 25/26 in the 09/10 season, that was his 5th season in a top 5 league.

If Trincao somehow can improve his shooting he can become useful.

mladenq

Don't think he can improve much, regardless of his age, he just seems too limited in terms of pace and finishing, especially pace but he generally feels like he's slow at every aspect. Like, the time he takes to receive/handle the ball and then turn to the goal, every defender is already up in his face.

Messi983

Isn't he very much like a Mahrez type of winger? A bit slower but can still be good.

What I've noticed about Trincao is that he actually gets into shooting positions, both with Barca and Portugal, but his finishing is pretty poor.

Idk when Robben developed his lethal left foot but he didn't score double figures in the top 5 leagues until he was 25/26 in the 09/10 season, that was his 5th season in a top 5 league.

If Trincao somehow can improve his shooting he can become useful.

Yeah, Robben has scored more than 10 league goals only once (for PSV in 2002-03) before moving to Bayern aged 25. He has then scored double figure league goals in 6 of the next 8 seasons (he failed to do that in two seasons when he has only played 15 and 16 league games respectively due to injuries). He has never scored more than 17 league goals though.

I don't think Robben is a good comparision though. I see Trincao as a playmaking winger which could be useful once Messi will leave and he could also move more in the centre. He has good football IQ and vision (still needs to improve his passing though) but I think he'd be the best utilised with an attacking FB making overlaps and playing 1-2s with him (granted it was against Andorra but he's done that quite well with Semedo from all people) AND by having a great scorer in front of him who he could pass to.

I don't believe he'll ever be a 20-25 goals winger which are (close to) world class numbers but I think he could be around a 10 goals + 10 assists player which would also be very good. IF Dembele can somehow stay healthy I also think him, Trincao and Fati (I do see his future as a #9 in a few years when he develops a bit more physically but if we'll manage to get a good scorer - which would be my priority - he'll stay on the wings) could complement each other well with their different skill sets. Then it's up to whoever the coach will be to get the best out of them.

I think if we'll have patience with Trincao and give him regular minutes he'll prove his doubters wrong. We're in year 1 (of what will probably be at least a 3 year process) of a (partial for now since many veterans are still here) rebuild and we have many other needs we need to address first. So why not give young players that are here more than just a few games to see what they can do?

Home of Barca Fans