UEFA Champions League 2014-15

StarLord

Please provide examples other than that 4-0 against Klinsmann.

Well, Messi faced Bayern twice in his life, one was the drubbing of Bayern by Barca, and the other was the drubbing of Barca by Bayern. Our win was far more spectacular btw :barca scarf: without scrappy goals or dodgy referee goals.

We also faced Stuttgart and Leverkusen in recent years. Both cakewalks, for the team as well as Messi. And if I am not mistaken we also easily beat Werder and Schalke, but that was pre-Pep Barca.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

Well, Messi faced Bayern twice in his life, one was the drubbing of Bayern by Barca, and the other was the drubbing of Barca by Bayern. Our win was far more spectacular btw :barca scarf: without scrappy goals or dodgy referee goals.

We also faced Stuttgart and Leverkusen in recent years. Both cakewalks. And if I am not mistaken we also easily beat Werder and Schalke, but that was pre-Pep Barca.

Well, Stuttgart... them ever being in the CL was essentially a hickup in itself. That club has always been in chaos and atm they are more or less in shambles and have excellent chances to get relegated ;)
But I admit, I forgot about that Last 16 fixture back in the day.

zanela

Bayern are better than us. Simple as. From an objective viewpoint and a subjective.

Objectively better because: 1. They could field 2 full starting 11's. They have WC backup players for almost every position
2. Have been dominating their league and as shit as it is, it's still a good achievement.
Subjectively better because: 1. Pep is arguably the best coach in the world right now. The magic of having Pep is a huge plus to that team.

They are really good, but not unbeatable. RM last season took them to the cleaners. If we play them it would need to be a counter attacking style. They play possession football but nowhere near as direct as we do. This could work in our favor. I would prefer RM to go through and face Bayern again, since I believe they are the only team who can beat Bayern comfortably. I would in fact root for RM when they play against Bayern, because I know for a fact we can beat RM comfortably when on form and with motivation.

The bold part has got me interested. Anyone know what a Buyern B looks like.

StarLord

Our results versus German clubs:

2005/6

Barcelona - Werder Bremen 3-1
Werder Bremen - Barcelona 0-2

2006/7

Barcelona - Werder Bremen 2-0
Werder Bremen - Barcelona 1-1

2007/8

Barcelona - Stuttgart 3-1
Stuttgart - Barcelona 0-2

Barcelona - Schalke 1-0
Schalke - Barcelona 0-1

2008/9

Barcelona - Bayern Munich 4-0 (from the first half)
Bayern Munich - Barcelona 1-1 (no need in stabbing a corpse when you have bigger fish to fry)

2009/10

Stuttgart - Barcelona 1-1
Barcelona - Stuttgart 4-0

2011/12

Bayer Leverkusen - Barcelona 1-3
Barcelona - Bayer Leverkusen 7-1

2012/13

Bayern Munich - Barcelona 4-0
Barcelona - Bayern Munich 0-3

Haven't faced any German team since. Spot the odd one add btw.

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Reina
Rafinha
Badstuber
Martinez
Bernat
Alonso
Rode
(Robben replacement)
Gotze
(Ribery replacement)
Pizarro

In a 4-2-3-1

skn02

Please provide examples other than that 4-0 against Klinsmann.

Can't provide examples when Messi only essentially faced Bayern 2 times in his career, and only 1 fair shot to be honest which barca annihilated Bayern. As for National team side, Argentina faced Germany 2 times in world cup with messi, Maradona(the most retarded manager who essentially played 5 forwards and 5 defenders with 0 midfield) said hi in first one, and the 2nd one which was the world cup final where Germany had much better fitness due to Brazil being a joke and having an extra day of rest. Now, lets see what happens when Messi in this form and fitness face this Bayern.

StarLord

Well, Stuttgart... them ever being in the CL was essentially a hickup in itself. That club has always been in chaos and atm they are more or less in shambles and have excellent chances to get relegated ;)
But I admit, I forgot about that Last 16 fixture back in the day.

Stuttgart played the CL in 09/10 because in the Bundesliga season of the 08/09 they finished 3rd, only 3 points behind Bayern and 5 behind champions Wolfsburg. Spain has sent countless of small clubs in the CL in recent years (Osasuna, Celta Vigo, Real Sociedad, Villarreal, Sevilla, Malaga, Athletic Bilbao, Deportivo La Coruna, Real Betis) some of which have done very well. Even Atletico and Valencia have smaller budgets than the German (let alone English) equivalents, but still, sometimes they deliver spectacularly.

All major Euro-leagues send different teams every season, except the EPL of course, which more or less has a fixed top 4, that only rarely changes.

zanela

Reina
Rafinha
Badstuber
Martinez
Bernat
Alonso
Rode
(Robben replacement)
Gotze
(Ribery replacement)
Pizarro

In a 4-2-3-1

From what I'm looking, Rafinha is a perm fixture when they play 4 at the bck. Alonso and Bernat are also their regulars. Regardless, that B team is not exactly a WC side, as dick was alluding to.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

StarLord, just a reminder, the original question was whether Messi was particularly good or rather bad against German opposition, and more specifically, against Bayern and/or the German NT. ;)

Against Bayern there were four matches, in which he scored a brace against the brilliantly Klinsmann managed team, during which Christian Lell (!) had to defend against him on the wrong side of the pitch (!!) due to the severe injuries Bayen suffered at that time on the Fullback position. ;)
The other was a 1-1 during which he didn't score.
In the last two encounters, he had no impact at all when on the pitch.

Against the NT, he tried a few things in the final, but to no avail. Most remarkably was the shot only inches off the right post. I think there was one friendly where Argentina beat Germany 2-0, IIRC, during which he was okay. Anybody is bored enough to look up his record against Germany?

Last edited:
I

instinct

I didn't watch the 4-0 in 2009 but was it a big task for Messi to destroy a Lell - Demichelis - Breno - Oddo defense with the legend that is Butt behind them?

R

Ryu Hayabusa

From what I'm looking, Rafinha is a perm fixture when they play 4 at the bck. Alonso and Bernat are also their regulars. Regardless, that B team is not exactly a WC side, as dick was alluding to.

It's a question of what players are available to Pep and what outfit Pep decides to play in case all are available to him.
If one would do a Team A, Team B oneself, one would arrive at the conclusion that Bayern's B team is indeed fairly capable, at least on paper.

R

Ryu Hayabusa

I didn't watch the 4-0 in 2009 but was it a big task for Messi to destroy a Lell - Demichelis - Breno - Oddo defense with the legend that is Butt behind them?

And don't forget that they were managed by the worst Bayern manager for at least the past 20 years. ;) Even Rehagel and Ribbeck were not as clueless.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
StarLord, just a reminder, the original question was whether Messi was particularly good or rather bad against German opposition, and more specifically, against Bayern and/or the German NT. ;)

Against Bayern there were four matches, in which he scored a brace against the brilliantly Klinsmann managed team, during which Christian Lell (!) had to defend against him on the wrong side of the pitch (!!) due to the severe injuries Bayen suffered at that time on the Fullback position. ;)
The other was a 1-1 during which he didn't score.
In the last two encounters, he had no impact at all when on the pitch.

Against the NT, he tried a few things in the final, but to no avail. Most remarkably was the shot only inches off the right post. I think there was one friendly where Argentina beat Germany 2-0, IIRC, during which he was okay. Anybody is bored enough to look up his record against Germany?

He also had that run where he made Hummels look like a fool and all the way to the goal where Boateng I think was at the right place at right time or else it would've ended up in a goal.

Home of Barca Fans