Virgil van Dijk

El Gato

Villarato!
VVD career is littered with mistakes in big games. Penalty at 0-0 in 89th minute vs City in league that Mahrez missed. Mistake for that goal vs City at Anfield where Lahoz ruled the goal out for no reason.
Guy is a hardman a lot of the time but fucks up like a rookie often enough when it matters

khaled_a_d

Lemme guess? Because of more team trophies, right? So simple:lol:

People are so primitive in rating players.

The argument is that he will go down as an all time great defender.

Virgil will be one of the best defenders in the history of Football soon."

https://twitter.com/LFCHistoryShow/status/1552280729307987968?s=20&t=D60_mkd4v-yRqUkRhBk7Mg

Going down as an all time great depends a lot on perspective and hype and both are highly influenced by trophies.
VVD doesn't have enough of that atm. He has recency bias on his side but when that end it is different.
Him and T.Silva will have a difficult time to compete against the greats with their current accomplishments.
He is 31 now, if he can keep a high level same way T.Silva did (who was also a fairly late bloomer) he can improve things.

Zidane82

Jesus .. after all the dross we have had to put up with since Puyol retired I cannot believe that anyone in here would find fault with VVD .

This is precisely why I do not take the endless criticism of Busquets seriously

KingLeo10

Jesus .. after all the dross we have had to put up with since Puyol retired I cannot believe that anyone in here would find fault with VVD .

You're the number 1 homer for anything Liverpool related. As if your rating is worth anything :lol:

El Gato

Villarato!

Has anyone actually objected to him being acquired by Barcelona? Not at all the point of the conversation
Making up arguments now

He's a great player who should win a bit more to be up there with anyone elite

Zidane82

Has anyone actually objected to him being acquired by Barcelona? Not at all the point of the conversation
Making up arguments now

He's a great player who should win a bit more to be up there with anyone elite
I never suggested anything about VVD and Barca
I was shocked to see so many slagging him off after all the demicks we have had in our defence over the past few years

El Gato

Villarato!
I never suggested anything about VVD and Barca
I was shocked to see so many slagging him off after all the demicks we have had in our defence over the past few years

Who is slagging him off?
Barca having dross at the back for some time and VVD placement among all time greats have nothing to do with one another and has no bearing on whether people can or cant talk about his quality
He's a great player who had plenty bad days and needs to do quite bit more to be near tier people trying to place him in

Zidane82

You're the number 1 homer for anything Liverpool related. As if your rating is worth anything :lol:

Why so disparaging ?

Liverpool are a fabulous team who play great football - why not appreciate them . Arsenal are the same . They believe in playing attractive football as we do ..

Temptation

Some of the takes on Van Dijk :lol:

Not surprised to see that he isn't rated in this forum whatsoever.

Varane must be considered an all time great here

Rory

Some of the takes on Van Dijk :lol:

Not surprised to see that he isn't rated in this forum whatsoever.

Varane must be considered an all time great here

Explain your reasons as to why VVD is better than Ferdinand, Vidic, Terry, Ramos, Puyol, Pique not sure if I’ve missed any but they will do for now.

Home of Barca Fans