Vitor Roque (loaned to Real Betis)

Messi983

:lol: Ok ok, he hasn't been in Spain "almost a year" and in Betis "for 2 months" - but my point still stands :lol: I have 0 breaks to give him, if he starts and plays like a drunk donkey he doesn't even belong in Segunda. But I'm not a hater, just disappointed - I'd like for him to succeed, but I don't see ANY qualities and that's fucking sad.

You don't see his off the ball movement, work rate, hunger for the goal? Or are those not qualities that you rate in strikers?

People here are way too focused on either player's technique or their physical traits. Which I can understand because those are pretty easy to spot. But for me mental aspect is just as if not more important. Especially with strikers who live for and off the goals.

For me main question is does a striker have a goal instinct? I don't care if he scores wondergoals or scrappy goals (as some would describe Vitor's goal today). A goal is a goal. Goals win you games. And good goalscorers are rare and usually expensive. You have forwards who do a lot of good things for the team but will never be clinical in front of the goal. Morata is a good example. And then you have someone like Haaland who people often complain about his lack of technical abilities and involvement in the game but you know he guarantee you 30-40 goals every season. Who is more valuable or who would you prefer to have in your team?

As long as he will score (and I believe he will) then I can live with a few bad controls or misplaced passes every game. Suarez had plenty of those too also in his prime years and won't even talk about the last season or two when he was basically killing every attack but then scored a banger or two. I want strikers who can score and don't care if they will have fancy dribblings or high passing percentage. Same as I want CBs who can do their primary job which is defending. I know being good on the ball is important here but I don't care if a CB is the best passer in the world if he can't actually defend.

I'm not saying Roque will be the next Haaland. But I do believe he has natural instincts (that I've not seen in many players of his age) and hunger for goals that likes of Suarez and Eto'o also had. I'm sure he will score a lot of goals for a team that will find the right way to utilise him.

In his first few games I've also seen complaints from usual suspects that he's "slow". Probably based on watching his highlights from Brazilian league without taking into account state of the pitches there that slows the games down (besides physical style of play and lot of fouls that prevent game flows to develop as well) and him playing in a defensive minded team without having much support. But those comments have quickly died after people saw he actually has decent speed. He clearly doesn't have Dembele's explosiveness (not many players do tbf) but he doesn't need it as a striker. It's not his game to get the ball at halfway line and run towards the goal past 4 defenders, it's to receive it close to or inside the penalty box and finish off the chances.

At this point he's a poacher with smart movement and work rate so he will get into scoring positions. It's up to his team to create him chances. He probably won't create much on his own but I'm sure he'll annoy a lot of defenders with pressing. Shame that Isco is out but Lo Celso (when he's up to speed), Fornals, Abde and Ruibal could deliver him some balls.

Only people who expected he would be an entertainer like R10 or Ney can be disappointed with Roque. But those people have never watched him in Brazil. He was never that profile and never will be. He's more of your typical Uruguayan striker who plays with determination, intensity and sometimes even anger than a technically sound Brazilian striker of the past. Things have changed in Brazil too and they are producing more Raphinhas and Roques today than Ronaldinhos or Romarios.

I believe that despite some tehnical shortcomings (that are not as bad as people make them out to be though and can also still be improved at his age) he has mental makeup to develop into a very good to potentially great striker of the future. He obviously needs time and patience that he would never get here (I didn't expect our fan base to be patient but at least hoped club would have a better plan) but hopefully will at Betis and then at the next big club he'll join in a few years. And you can be sure at some point he'll come and bite Laporta in the ass, maybe already this season. And I for one will be happy for him to get revenge for terrible treatment he had in his short time here.

Loki

Someone should tell him his "tiger" face looks absolutely ridiculous. And his goal was more a lucky stumbler than a clean tap-in. I'm amazed the ball went actually in after hitting the ball with his shin while falling.
But Barca needs him to score more, so they can sell him for a decent price. His amortization is pretty low because he got a 7,5 years contract. Meaning his 40m fee divided by 7,5 = 5,3m/year. So next summer after 1,5 years of contract, he'll be in the books for around €32m. That's the minimum price Barca going to ask for him.

Last edited:

ajnotkeith

People here are really trolling about Roque, we haven't seen nearly enough of him to determine anything let alone call him a flop, he's barely been here for a year and he's a very young and developmental striker. Not every young player is like Yamal or Gavi who break through at 17 and have amazing football education, it's more normal for young players to take longer to develop, particularly a player like Roque who played at quite a low level before and hasn't had the chance to learn Spanish football yet.

He clearly has certain talents.

His value will spike if he has a good season at Betis, strikers are in short supply, we may make a profit or even keep him.

MontenegrinCuler

People here are really trolling about Roque, we haven't seen nearly enough of him to determine anything let alone call him a flop, he's barely been here for a year and he's a very young and developmental striker. Not every young player is like Yamal or Gavi who break through at 17 and have amazing football education, it's more normal for young players to take longer to develop, particularly a player like Roque who played at quite a low level before and hasn't had the chance to learn Spanish football yet.

He clearly has certain talents.

His value will spike if he has a good season at Betis, strikers are in short supply, we may make a profit or even keep him.
Giving up so easily on 40 milion players can only happen at Barça
If you give so much for him you do your best to suck the most you possibly could from all his talents
Espc if he's 18 years old

FCBarca

Mike the Knife
Him doing well can only be good for Barca, I don’t believe he has quality to succeed here but let’s hope he thrives and we can recoup most of the investment in him if not more

Yes, it is a bit cringe his celebration but concede the guy has been riding the bench and might be more about the release of being important more than the goal itself which was clearly good fortune more than anything extraordinary

Every athlete plays better with confidence and he’ll need this when things aren’t always going smoothly in Andalusia

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Problem was never Roque. It's the person deciding he is good for us and worth 40 mil.

Those kind of people were never held accountable at Barca.

Messi983

Problem was never Roque. It's the person deciding he is good for us and worth 40 mil.

Those kind of people were never held accountable at Barca.

When you are signing talents usually 60-70% of transfer fee is paying for their PA not CA. Is Vitor worth 40m now? No. Are Endrick or Messinho worth 60m? No. But they could all be worth much more in few years if they develop as expected. Could ofc also fail but still a risk clubs are willing to take.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
When you are signing talents usually 60-70% of transfer fee is paying for their PA not CA. Is Vitor worth 40m now? No. Are Endrick or Messinho worth 60m? No. But they could all be worth much more in few years if they develop as expected. Could ofc also fail but still a risk clubs are willing to take.

Ok. When exactly did that work for us?

Home of Barca Fans