Wayne Rooney

iookram

Rooney's good... But not at the level that the English media rate him at.

Personally, when I watch Rooney, he just doesn't give that "edge of seat, some magic moment could happen" feeling.

Ventus

Rooney lacks parts of Ronaldo's skill, but what he lacks there, he makes up for in his impressive work rate.
Considering that, Rooney is a better player than Ronaldo.

Unbiased United

Yes he is 10 times better than Suarez :lol:

The world cup proved he isn't world class. Sorry.

Please....next you'll be bringing Caroll in to it too. :rofl1:

However I'm a reasonable guy. I don't like to take every opportunity to slag off everything Liverpool, just because they are Liverpool, like you do with United. Suarez is a very good player, and he could POTENTIALLY do a lot. But to compare him to Rooney after he has been at the top level for almost ten years is a joke. Suarez is one to watch out for, but at this time nothing more. But going off your past one sided comments no doubt you'll contest that....

fcb1

personally id much rather suarez in my team than rooney, if it was the other way round, and suarez was english, and rooney was south american, the english be buildin up suarez to be something he's not too. rooney is a very good player, but thats where the bus stops. no where near barca standard. his off pitch antics and his personality would have no place in the beautiful city of barca. not even for a holiday.

fcb1

the thing about this pikey is, he was a fully grown man at 16, he scored an almighty thumper against arsenal, for a 16 year old he was way ahead both physically and skillfully. but i firmly believe rooney has peaked already. he was never goin to keep progressing at the rate he was when he was 15-17. and the fact doesnt really seem like a nice person, doesnt really help him either, the chap has zero personality, and give it another few years and he be another ''washed up coulda been'', he'll never win anything with england so he may aswell forget that, he'll prob win another couple of carling cups epl's etc. but highly, highly over-rated.

gingerless

tumblr_lf9ua5gFhe1qd211c.jpg

did pique get his shoes from wallmart?

Phatroonaldo

playing while barely fit, with 0 midfield service, and under the pressure of what the tabloids were set to reveal about his horrid actions?

riiight.

This. From what I see, rooney works best with a poacher, not a targetman like heskey. It is one of the reason that hernandez has replaced berbatov in the team.

Bergkamp10

Now Wilshere is in the team, hopefully we'll see a different Rooney for England now he has someone on his wave length. It's unfair to blame him because England's national team are a shambles.

Also, Rooney is best where he's playing now. He's good as an out and out striker as he played last season and I thought that was his best position but he's been excellent behind Hernandez and seems to be playing with a smile on his face so he should stay there. For England, Capello should play Rooney in his correct decision with Walcott in the Hernandez role, not Carroll - I don't think those two will work. Rooney is England's best player and the system should be built around him and played to his strengths. No more Lampard or Gerrard.

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Now Wilshere is in the team, hopefully we'll see a different Rooney for England now he has someone on his wave length. It's unfair to blame him because England's national team are a shambles.

Also, Rooney is best where he's playing now. He's good as an out and out striker as he played last season and I thought that was his best position but he's been excellent behind Hernandez and seems to be playing with a smile on his face so he should stay there. For England, Capello should play Rooney in his correct decision with Walcott in the Hernandez role, not Carroll - I don't think those two will work. Rooney is England's best player and the system should be built around him and played to his strengths. No more Lampard or Gerrard.

Carroll is going to be a real problem for England and Liverpool.

at least England can justify using him as Plan B (and what a plan!) but Liverpool spent £35m on him...

I would definitely like to see Walcott as a central striker ahead of Rooney. and Wilshere in a double pivot with Jones or Rodwell (Parker or Carrick for now - depends on opposition).

the thing is, to make that system work, you need a winger (or two) capable of brilliant and relentless delivery.

as far as I can tell England only has two guys like that. Beckham and Young. and Beckham's oooold.

I suppose you could go Lennon/Young. but Lennon really need a strong manager to give him the kick up the arse he needs. he could be soooooo good if he'd just work at his bastard crossing.

I'd like to see this team in 2012:

Hart
Onuoha Smalling Rio Cashley
Carrick Wilshere
Walcott Rooney Young
Bent​

and this team in 2014:

Hart
Onuoha Smalling Cahill Cashley
Rodwell Wilshere
Milner Rooney Young
Walcott​

Milner is the most consistent crosser I can think of. and if nothing else he's an utter workhorse who can switch wings if need be.

Bergkamp10

Agreed on Carroll. With someone like him in your team, you're always going to end up playing long ball. He'd be great as an impact sub for England but not as a starter.

Definitely Young wide..not sure on Lennon. He'll have one game where he'll skin a fullback but the next 3 he'll do nothing. He definitely needs to leave Spurs, apparently 'Arry hates him. But yeah Walcott and Rooney could be very effective, Theo hasn't got enough skill to beat his man but his movement is excellent and he's a really good finisher. Rooney and Wilshere have the brains to realise that you need to play the ball in front of Walcott, not behind him. RvP and Cesc do this all the time for him now hence the goal rush he's had this season. Exciting times for England but only if Fabio uses his brain and doesn't start Carroll and Lampard/Gerrard.

Both of those teams look good. Maybe Oxlade-Chamberlain will come through by 2014 and be a good winger for England? If not Milner would be a decent choice, can't see who else there is.

Unfortunately, I see this for England in 2012 -

Back 5
Gerrard - Parker/Rodwell - Wilshere - Walcott/Young
Rooney - Carroll​

god help England if Redknapp takes over which he definitely will.

Last edited:

Metaphysical

Bomb Dropper
Redknapp's not taking over.

in fact he may well even not be Spurs manager soon.

and Ox doesn't strike me as a traditional winger. he may start out there but he'll be drifting centrally. so you'd need a very good attacking FB on whatever wing he played on.

Home of Barca Fans