Who should be Barça's next coach after Lucho?

Who should be Barça's next coach after Lucho?

• Lucho should stay

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Unzue

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Eusebio

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Koeman

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Valverde

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Sampaoli

Votes: 112 72.3%
  • Other(who?)

Votes: 17 11.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raketa10

I am not sure anymore about Sampaoli. This guy is definitely out of control. Two times sent off in CL this season. This just isn't normal.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Majority of Barca's fans are fans of Sampaoli.

Apart from classic question marks around him:
1. not connected with Barca
2. never won a league competition in his career
3. first season in Europe

Are people starting to have at least some doubts about him?
1. lately Sevilla lost momentum (could be related to coach's inexperience in Europe and La liga)
2. his tactics aren't up to 100% anymore
3. his team is very weak mentally lately
4. he lost his head tonight again in a CL. Some questions could be raised about his mental stability also, especially under 10x times bigger pressure in a team like Barca

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Doesn't matter since Valverde will be our next coach anyway. It's set in stone. Will probably get finalized around easter time too, when Valverde is set to announce that he will leave Athletic at the end of the season.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously sentiments are gonna change now and make things much easier for Barto. Koeman or Valverde it is.

KiX7777

I'm up for Koeman than. Dont't know why they want Valverde, he doesn't have Barca DNA, and he surely isn't WC coach. Koeman was at least part of Dream team.

MIXA

Wouldn't mind Allegri to be honest. He seems to be a tactically astute coach. Something that this club has not had ever since Pep left.

Barcilliant

Wouldn't mind Allegri to be honest. He seems to be a tactically astute coach. Something that this club has not had ever since Pep left.

I said that too.

He's also very calm and doesn't get worked up.

Only negative is that Italians have never done well iñ La Liga.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Sport says that the board likes Unzue and he's most likely to replace Lucho:lol:. Lucho may leave, but his tactics will live on with Unzue:rockon:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
What do people think about Massimiliano Allegri?

Edit: Just saw the posts above. In the unlikely case Valverde decides to stay in Bilbao, I hope we'll consider him too if he's leaving Juventus, and not blindly appoint Unzue without considering all the other options and what they potentially can bring.

Messi983

So let's assume that we win treble this season with 343, then appoint Unzue as our new coach and he decides to keep this formation longterm. Would you still be that much against him given that most people here believes that we should stay with 343? If Sampaoli is really out (which I believe is true) then Unzue is our most likely option to keep that formation as I don't believe that either of Koeman or Valverde would go that far away from their 4-2-3-1.

I'm not Unzue fan but I also don't "hate" him as a potential candidate and am trying to look at him objectively and give him a benefit of the doubt. He clearly knows the team's advantages and weaknesses better than any of other candidates. And I believe that he has some fresh ideas and Lucho was just too stubborn to listen to him and execute them. Not saying we should appoint Unzue just that I would be more curious about what he can do than disappointed or angry if he'll become our new coach.

We know what coaching styles of the likes of Sampaoli, Valverde or Koeman are and know pretty much their good and bad sides (or are discovering the latter in Sampaoli's case, because it seems he looked faultless in some people eyes). None of them is really perfect or a guarantee to do great with us. Yes, we don't know how they would do here with different/better set of players than what they currently have in their teams but they are what they are. They've been coaches long enough that they developed their philosophy and principles they believe in. If they'll try to change/adapt that when they come here then they'll most likely fail because they won't be comfortable with what they are doing (something like that happened to Tata). It's impossible to "sell" things to players if you as a coach don't believe in your work.

Unzue is totally unknown for most of the people outside the club but those inside the club knows him much better. I know that people here don't really believe in decision making of our board but we'll have to have some faith here. We could assume that Unzue would keep Lucho's tactics (those from his first 2,5 years not that 343 recently) but we don't know that. Yes, his appointment could work against us very badly but he could also surprise, especially given the fact that most people probably wouldn't have high expectations from him from what I've seen so far so he could only surprise those people positively. Or he can make them look smart if he fails. ;)

We've taken our risk with Tito and he did great when he was healthy. I think he would still be our coach today but sadly we can't influence on some things in our lifes. If we go a few more years back, we've also taken a risk with Pep when he was unproven as a coach on top level. Of course in hindsight we can all be smart but how many people really believed in him after he didn't win his first two games? I doubt there were many except Cruyff who probably forget more about football than any of us ever knew. And if we jump a few years in the future, we'll eventually give a chance to Xavi one day. Of course most people will expect him to do great but what if he'll fail our big expectations which could happen easily?

We all have our list of preferences regarding our new coach based on different criterias and that's ok. But we can't just assume that Sampaoli would be better here than Valverde or Koeman or that Unzue wouldn't work out for us at all. We can make conclusions about those coaches past work (or lack of there-off in Unzue's case) and that's good for debate between the fans but our arguments are mostly based on past experiences, our feelings and projections which can be sometimes very far off of what will really happen. AFAIK none of us can predict a future (I apologize if someone has that ability :p) with at least 70-80% certainty which would probably be more than enough in that case.

I will give a chance to whichever coach we'll choose and I won't blame "our stupid board" for selecting Valverde or Unzue ahead of Sampaoli before he'll even manage his first training, let alone official game. Maybe in the end we'll make the right decision even if it won't look like that at first in most people opinions. I surely hope so.

snowy

Unzue's appointment would actually be pretty straightforward for the board since it would be in line with their "keeping up with the status quo philosophy". He's already settled, knows the players & staff and has had time to grow into the position. Also, like you said, with expectations not being high, he could only surprise positively. It would also procure the board with more time to explore other options. Since no other managers have publicly voiced their interest, then the board could easily justify their decision. Can see it happening + one quality Unzue's got. He's really really really

j42sbhu
INTENSE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans