Who should be Barça's next coach after Lucho?

Who should be Barça's next coach after Lucho?

• Lucho should stay

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Unzue

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Eusebio

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Koeman

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Valverde

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Sampaoli

Votes: 112 72.3%
  • Other(who?)

Votes: 17 11.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBZ8800

If we'll win either La liga or a CL this season with a current 343, considering how poor we were 20-30 days ago, I will consider a 343 and our comeback as awesome and in that case I would rather have Unzue with a current 343 (and 2-3 new players) than ANY other coach starting from zero with a new ideas, new formation, new players.

My opinion is that when you are at a bottom and nothing works anymore:
= then you need some drastic new ideas, a fresh start, a new coach, a new tactics, new players, fresh blood
But if things are going well:
= you don't need to change too much, except 2-3 players and thinking about possible future options to improve and evolve your team for a situation when the opponents will figure out how to neutralize your current tactics

So for me:
If we'll win a CL/La Liga/or both
=then continue with either Lucho, or Unzue, or even Sampaoli if he'll play the same as current Barca
If we'll fail to win La liga/Cl or if 343 will turn out to be poor by the end of a season:
= then turn the page and start from zero with someone new, NOT Lucho/Unzue and with some new 433, 442 or 451 formation

Alik

Majority of Barca's fans are fans of Sampaoli.

Apart from classic question marks around him:
1. not connected with Barca
2. never won a league competition in his career
3. first season in Europe

1. Personally, I think the fact that he has never played for Barça before is not a question mark around his abilities.

2a)Why do you keep saying he has never won a league competition, when he has 3 league titles.
2b)Why do you ignore other achievements such as winning the Copa Sudamericana, and the Copa América?

3. Experience-wise he is better prepared than Lucho, Tito and Guardiola were before they took on the job.

Regarding Sevilla losing momentum, few teams can keep up momentum for the whole season. Normally, these teams end up being champions.

F

FlaFCB

If it's really down to Valverde or Unzue, I think I'd rather have Unzue.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Speaking objectively about Unzue.

We've always seen people predict that players like Xavi or even Xabi Alonso recently could become decent coaches due to the vast knowledge they've gained under different coaches. Xavi had coaches like Van Gaal, Frank, Pep, Tito, Lucho. All coaches with their own alterations and different thoughts. Xabi Alonso recently has played under Pep, Ancelotti and Mourinho.

Unzue has been a part of Barca for a very long time. He's been a part of the staff under Rijkaard, under Pep, Tito and as an assistant coach to Lucho. He likely has vast tactical knowledge having seen all these coaches make their plans and execute it their way, even if the fundamentals remained the same. He has been a coach(although a GK coach, but still) and a part of the staff where we've had players with different egos, styles. He was also a player under Cruyff for two years as the 2nd GK to Zubi.

So he has that side under him, but what goes against him yet again is the lack of experience as a head coach. We don't know what he'll bring, unknown. We know what Valverde can bring, but Unzue despite being a part of Barca so long and likely learning from all these coaches, is still a mystery in that aspect, but if those players or other players are said to have the potential to be a good coach, then so does Unzue.

The question however is, would it pose too much of a risk?

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
I don't want Unzue, no way. Why did Tito replaced Pep? Because the board wanted the team to play the same way Pep did. And now they are expecting that status quo will remain, that Unzue would continue with Lucho's nonsense tactics and rotate as much as possible because that worked in the past. And I don't think we'll continue playing 3-4-3 when we get a proper RB and Vidal gets back from injury no matter what manager we get.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Tito had his own ideas too. Pushing higher up, playing more direct than Pep did.

Perhaps Unzue will move away from Lucho's tactics and put his own stamp on it? Just a thought. We don't know what we could expect though, that is the big question mark.

Richard.H

I think Unzue has much better chemistry with the squad than Lucho, so that's one positive aspect if he becomes coach.

I'm not sure how much of an influence he has on Lucho tactics. I read sometime ago that he plays a big role in the back 4 tactics, but never know if these articles online are true.

nibarcafans

I don't think we can say outright that Unzue will set us up to play with the same style as Enrique.

He's not just an Enrique man, he's been involved under Cruyff (as a player), Rijkaard, Pep, Tito and Enrique (as part of the coaching staff). Undoubtedly he has learnt from how all of these managers did things, and will have his own preferences to throw in to the mix as well.

serghei

If Valverde's Bilbao beats or at least draws with Madrid come next weekend, I'd give him the job.

The question however is, would it pose too much of a risk?

Problem is that we're not linked to a certified great manager. So, no matter how you put it, a consistent risk exists. We just have to have faith it will work out no matter who we choose.

I for one am totally against Eusebio, that's it. I have nothing against Sampaoli, Valverde, Koeman or even Unzue. But I do think Eusebio would be a massive failure, and that he does not have the authority to lead a team like Barcelona.

Last edited:

Raketa10

For me Koeman is much better option than Valverde.

Unzue would be bad decision even disasterous in my opinion. He has zero experience + we need a change and he would just continue with LE style. This would be beyond stupid.

Why are we not considering Pochettino?

Last edited:

BBZ8800

1. Personally, I think the fact that he has never played for Barça before is not a question mark around his abilities.

2a)Why do you keep saying he has never won a league competition, when he has 3 league titles.
2b)Why do you ignore other achievements such as winning the Copa Sudamericana, and the Copa América?

3. Experience-wise he is better prepared than Lucho, Tito and Guardiola were before they took on the job.

Regarding Sevilla losing momentum, few teams can keep up momentum for the whole season. Normally, these teams end up being champions.

Oh, it is my bad, I was checking wrong infos about Sampaoli, DonAk explained it yesterday.
So, ignore my remark about him not winning a league championship.
I see now that he won a Chilean league championship, so that's a pro for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans